“Great Time with Family” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Mount Dora
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Time with Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The Lakeside Inn is a beautiful old historic Inn on the edge of Lake Dora. It has charm and was filled with great choices of things to do within walking distance. The service was excellent, Sebastian at the front desk had excellent customer service skills and was so professional,along with the woman dusting in the lobby while I was working on a puzzle. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Saint Petersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

A special Thanks to Jim, Sabrina, and all of our friends at Lakeside Inn that helped make our Christmas holiday a great one!! We have been visiting Mt Dora and staying for Christmas at the Lakeside Inn since 2008. Each year we get to see all the awesome changes and restoration that has taken place throughout the year. The rooms in the main building are taking on a whole new look including wall paper removal, fresh paint, new carpet, and window treatments all while retaining the historic ambience that must be kept to qualify as a Historic Inn. In addition, the Christmas buffet this year as well as all of our meals on site in the Tremain Lounge and the Beauclaire were absolutely great!! As always, we got to work on our "new" puzzle in the lobby by the fireplace to enjoy some much needed downtime and "couple" time! To all our friends that enjoy the Lakeside Inn like we do and understand the history we are glad to be part of the fan club. For those of you that find fault with this great landmark, perhaps one of those Orlando resorts would work better for you,

Kudos to all of our friends at the Lakeside Inn for all you do. We will be back!!
Michael & Lois, St. Petersburg, FL.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Howey in the Hills, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Built in the late 1800's with a wide verandah that faces the sunsets on Lake Dora, and offers homemade lemonade served to you in rocking chairs, this place was here first, - and got the best view.

Just inside the front doors, on the left side of the lobby, is the hotel's bar, Tremains, where Jonny Carlson, on piano, and his excellent sidemen, on bass and drums, offer great traditional jazz Friday evenings.

There's no cover, the crowd is filled with regulars (including Jean who will sing a couple of torch songs), and the drinks are generously poured.

You can eat in the bar too, or in the dining room next door. Or eat in one of the wonderful restaurants that populate the town. Check the town calendar, because there are a number of festivals, - a 'wet' art stroll, or the art weekends, and it may be prudent to make a reservation.

Say Hi to Jonny.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Lakeside Inn is a beautiful old historic hotel on the edge of Lake Dora. It has immediate charm when you drive up. To be fair, I really enjoyed my stay but only because waiting for my room in the bar, there were local musicians and friendly locals having wine with whom I chatted and enjoyed an afternoon watching the Broncos beat the Chargers. When I arrived, my room wasn't ready so I went into the bar to watch the football playoffs. The front desk said they would come and get me when the room was ready. They didn't. I sat down at the bar asking for a red wine and the bartender didn't know a cabernet from a Coors light. She looked at the liquors, she looked in the beers, she looked in the beers in the refrigerator, and after telling her three times - it's a wine, a red one - it won't be in the refrigerator, she started looking at the wine bottles but didn't know which one to pick. It took intervention from a waiter to get a glass. She was very nice and later apologetic but admitted it wasn't her thing. I finally went out to the registration desk during half time and asked why no one had come into the bar to give me my keys. She was surprised but pleasant. There was no bell staff to help with my suitcase, carry it up the front steps, and no elevator to the 2nd floor so hauling luggage was a pain. I got no information about the room - just the number. I was assigned a room in the old hotel rather than the other buildings.The room was on top of the bar and until bar patrons leave and the bar is closed, you will hear every conversation. I went down to watch the SeaHawks playoffs just to get away from the noise. Fortunately, the bar closed at 8 on Sunday. The room was clean but dated - as expected in an antique.I turned on the heat because it was chilly at 64 and went to bed. I woke up to a room that was now 60 degrees, calling and asking the front desk about heat.They indicated there was a space heater in the closet (I remarked that I was floored that a hotel of this reputation didn't even have central heat) - there was none so housekeeping brought me a tiny space heater that you would buy at the local big box store. My recommendation is don't stay in the old hotel itself unless you are away from any of the social areas - dining room or bar. Stay when the temperature is nice or in one of the other buildings across the auto court from the hotel where there MIGHT be a real heating system in the winter. It would be unsafe to run one of these space heaters all night long. Enjoy the charm of the place and tolerate the inconveniences.

Room Tip: Rooms in the outbuildings are quieter. Ask about the environmental system to make sure you won't...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

A great old place. Can't wait to come back!! Really charming. If your looking for perfect it is not, but its 130 years old. Can't say enough good about this place and the town. Beautiful grounds. When I walked up to check in a guy was in tux,top hat with cain looked like I was back in the day!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

the hotel is so lovely it near the town it has a lovley lake i will so come back

beautiful surroundings . Lakeside Inn overlooks Lake Dora. We leave the car parked during our stay because entertainment and food is within walking distance. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. Outdoor pool overlooking the lake. Gift shop on grounds. Restaurant on grounds.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

This historic Inn has certainly lost its charm factor when it comes to the rooms. We have stayed there quite a bit a ways back but they have definitely went down the tubes where that is concerned...each time we let's give them one more chance....No more. They claim they upgraded most of them but can you really call it upgraded if you slap a coat of paint on the walls and change the mildewed carpet? . ...Not too long ago, we stayed 3 nights and were given a non renovated room and it was disgusting. The floors in the bathroom are not discolored with age, they are filthy...there is mildew in the showers, broken hardware, leaky toilets, musty smells, spider webs and flickering lights, etc. They refused to move us to another room..(.It was 4th of July weekend so we had no where else to go....) Then housekeeping didn't arrive until after 3pm the next day and the supervisor was very unpleasant. Her excuse for everything was that they were short staffed....since when is that the paying guests fault? The manager of the hotel comped us one night in a so called renovated room on our next stay....yippee, and then even that was a disappointment when we saw what they called renovated. All else appeared the same except the carpet and paint.....My Lord, I know the hotel is from the 1800's but so are some of the bed and breakfasts close by and they are immaculate. Historic really can be kept clean, repaired, fresh, and have a polite accommodating staff amidst the old charm. However, I will tell you that the location is beautiful, right on Lake Dora, and the rockers on the long porch of the main building are pretty much the only delights of the whole place. Go enjoy those, but stay someplace else! I know we will...

Room Tip: Tell them you want to see the rooms available BEFORE you check in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lakeside Inn? Share your experiences!