“Interesting and authentic” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Melbourne, Florida
“Interesting and authentic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We love ethnic food and eating food from other countries. Peruvian is something we can't get back home. The ceviche was excellent, and the tilapia dish was good as well. The World Cup was on, and everyone in the restaurant was watching and having a good time. Apparently, they are moving from their present location (a bit out of the way and in what appears to be a tired old ex-biker bar) to a better location in Mt. Dora in the near future. I hope they are very successful. They weren't quick, so don't go starving. But it will be worth the wait.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Longwood, Florida
“Come here to eat the best ceviche you will ever taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

I LOVE the food here. George (Jorge) the owner and chef is super friendly and will happily explain menu items. Its not fancy inside, but who cares....you are here to enjoy awesome food, not pay extra for some expensive decor. A MUST TRY IS THE CEBICHE SUPER CHOLO. Order extra and take it home because otherwise you will be thinking about it until you can come back!!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheboygan, Michigan
“What a Great Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This restaurant is good as the rave reviews claim it is. Plain exterior and simple inside, but its elegance is its food. An impassioned chef-owner and it shows. We just bought a second home in Mt Dora and we plan on eating here on every trip. I hope the owner is able to move it downtown so it has a better chance of survival.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Juno Beach, Florida
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

We went on the strength of the great reviews here and we were delighted! It's a bit out of the way in a less than inspiring location but please don't let that stop you. It's really only 5 minutes from downtown Mt Dora.

We were greeted by the chef/owner who asked if we had ever eaten Peruvian food before (we had) and then proceeded to tell us all about the menu. He is obviously proud of his culture and cooking.

I'm particular about food but did something here I rarely do in a restaurant: we pretty much let him choose our meal.

We started with the ceviche cholo which we shared as an appetizer. The fish was fresh and succulent with just the right amount of heat which the accompanying sweet potatoes helped to moderate.

I had the Lomo Saltado which is described as an Asian/Peruvian fashion dish. It consisted of strips of marinated sirloin which I feared might be tough but were actually remarkably tender. The steak was stir fried with peppers and onions and served atop French fries and rice. A very tasty meal.

But, far and away, the star of the evening was my wife's fish meniere. This was a piece of Tilapia sautéed in butter with lime, cilantro and what the menu calls "English sauce". The owner laughingly explained that is because Peruvians have a difficult time pronouncing "Worcestershire".

One might think Worcestershire would be too strong a sauce for a delicate fish like tilapia. I certainly did. But this is a clear example of the whole being far better than the sum of its parts. The flavors combined to create a delectable yet subtle sauce where no one of them overwhelmed. I'm not a huge fan of sautéed fish and really don't care for cilantro but I absolutely loved this dish. It may have been the best fish I've ever eaten.

The owner is not only a great chef but a gregarious conversationalist and I enjoyed our discussion about Peru's culture, politics and economy nearly as much as the meal.

My only regret is that we live 180 miles away which is the only reason this won't become a regular spot for us.

Finally, this was a great bargain. Portions were generous and our entire tab including a beer was $44.

If you are in or near Mt Dora, do yourself a favor and seek this place out. You won't be disappointed.

Ocala,FL
“Authentic Peruvian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Love this quaint place! Great flavors for the ceviches as well as their cooked food! Friendly staff, and the Chef cooks from his heart. Price point is just right. Great that we don't have to travel all the way to Miami to enjoy a fantastic Peruvian cuisine.

• Visited May 2014