“What a Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dessert, Reservations
Auburndale, Florida
“What a Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had walked past this tea room several times thinking it only served tea and mini-sandwiches and sweets. Fortunately this time we had friends with us who seemed to think they might serve a meal, and in we went. The decor was very interesting. Great conversation pieces featuring the lives of the present royal family as well as prints from Victorian days. We were served by the owner who did a commendable job of bringing our meal and being very attentive. The food was very good and very British. Don't let the title "tea room" fool you: they have substantial items on their menu such as Bangers and Mash and several kinds of pot pies. And a huge pot of tea which was brought to me with extra cups for others in case I wanted to share. Nice touches.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Cheshire
“Nice little classy tearoom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The food was lovely and staff very helpful.
The docot was very English and dated which was nice especially for Americans who would find it novel.

Visited December 2012
Orlando, Florida
“We Will Not Return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I am re-reviewing Windsor Rose after having previously given a five-star review in July 2011. My family and I have been long-time visitors to this establishment – probably about 9-10 years now – and we have continued to visit despite, as I pointed out in my previous review, that service could be spotty at times. Well, I hate to say it but our visit yesterday was likely the last. When we chose to visit yesterday, we learned that they were closing at 3 p.m. for a special event - we arrived around 2:30. We were seated by a young girl who hurriedly took our drink order and arrived back shortly with two small pots - mine which she quickly shoved toward me and ended up spilling tea out of the spout across my eating area. She turned on her heel and left without a word of apology or “Let me clean that up for you” and, bewildered at the odd moment, I simply quietly mopped it up with my lone napkin. (besides the fact that she never inquired if we wanted cream or lemon, etc. with our tea.)

Through the course of our meal, which arrived by way of a different server (our initial girl appeared to have high-tailed it out of there without a word), we “enjoyed” the woman near us as she noisily played - “beep beep beep” with her cell phone while she appeared to be receiving a free “dessert tasting” from the woman-in-charge - though she declared she wouldn’t be able to eat both desserts given to her. We also “enjoyed” the woman-in-charge having a rather abrupt and seemingly rude telephone conversation with a caller who appeared to be inquiring about the length of a skirt – ankle length (a new employee perhaps?) - “I really don’t have time for this conversation right now.”

No one EVER came by to check on us; no one EVER asked us how our meal was. Once it was obvious that we had been sitting there with empty plates for some time, the second server arrived to ask us if we wanted dessert. No. Check please. She left to retrieve it. A THIRD server came and collected our plates. Of course, everyone is SO cheerful once it’s time to pay the bill!

I hate to say it, but service was NON-EXISTENT. We were basically “forgotten” throughout the entire dining experience. Here’s your drinks. Here’s your food. Here’s your check. I get that you are trying to get things situated for your event later that evening but that does not mean that service should be lacking for those guests who arrive prior to your designated closing time for that particular day. Beyond other things we’ve noticed since my last review, management needs to a) get both themselves and ALL of their servers on the SAME PAGE when it comes to providing high-quality pleasant service to EVERYONE – not just a friend who stops in for dessert and gets what appears to be a “freebie” and b) watch your tone on the telephone which your guests can obviously hear because of the proximity to the tables; it does not make for a pleasant experience when guests can hear a curt voice you’re giving to one person and then “faking” pleasantries with another.

I am sure that the woman-in-charge will inquire as to why we did not bring up our concerns to her if we had such a poor experience. Do you really think it would matter? What would you have done to resolve it? Would you even have known we were sitting there to begin with? Given the circumstances surrounding our visit and them getting ready for an evening event, I believe we’d be offered the same curt line - “I really don’t have time for this conversation right now.”

Sadly, while the food is consistently good, we cannot continue to pay (and tip!? – who gets the tip? - we had three servers!) for such a lousy experience where we are forgotten among other “more important” guests and / or event plans.

We have noticed the downward trend in overall service (completely hit / miss) since my last review in 2011 and we will not be returning.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Marsha G, Owner at Windsor Rose English Tea Room, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
It is unfortunate that this reviewer seemed to have a less than perfect experience. We have owned the restaurant for eight years so they have been long customers if they were coming under previous ownership. What is true in this review is that the food is consistently top notch and that we did close early that day for a dinner event. All of our servers, bussers, and management work as a team and we do rotate to every table. It is not unusual to have an owner come by or a busser deliver food--we work as a team to make certain that everyone receives the best service. Although our goal is to achieve beyond expectation there will always be times when we may make mistakes. There was the case of two desserts being delivered to one table. It was a team moment when I jumped in to help with the desserts. The dessert I made is especially tricky and I felt it did not meet expectation, so I brought the one ordered and a second one in a humble moment. The person who received the dessert is a special person--she is one of our entertainers who popped in unexpectedly. Although my gratitude to see her after her last performance seemed to cause others to feel left out it was unintentional. We love our repeat customers as much as someone who comes to us for the first time. We hope you do return someday. We are not a corporate chain, we just have the best food, service, and people that make up our team.
W Coast of Florida
“Have lunch here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

They have a wonderful tea menu, but we went for lunch and it was very, very good. Entree portions were excellent at very reasonable prices.

Visited December 2012
Sunrise, Florida
“A touch of Great Britain in Mt. Dora”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This cute tea room has the most incredible atmosphere and authenic scones. It was a delightful stop for us on a cool and rainy day.

Visited January 2013