“Not the best, not the worst..” 3 of 5 stars

Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   495 W Old US Hwy 441, Mount Dora, FL 32757   |
Ranked #11 of 14 Mount Dora B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Not the best, not the worst..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for a friend's wedding that was held on the grounds. The house is impressive when you drive up..but upon closer look..it needs a little quality time with a powerwash..the side of the house is green with mildew & the porch is covered with spider webs (although it was Halloween time I don't think this was intentional). Also the interior decor is very cluttered & leaves your eyes feeling overwhelmed. Our room was spacious & clean..but we were disappointed to find the bed was like sleeping on a rock (and I tend to prefer more firm mattresses, but honestly the floor may have been softer). Additionally we had a gas fireplace in our room that we were excited to use since the evening was chilly..only to find out it was broken.
I love that they have dogs (hope you like big Irish Wolfhounds) and cats which makes it feel homey, and the breakfast was also tasty..and the other upside is that it was walking distance to the shops & cafes downtown, buut this place definitely could use some improvements.
Also, there really isn't a "lake view" since you're across the street from it...just as an FYI.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
heroncay, Owner at Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
I am glad to hear that these guests appreciate our cats and Russian Wolfhounds, and that they enjoyed the breakfast and our convenient location. The wedding they attended was a very interesting Halloween Theme and lots of fun. I think their major complaint stems from the fact that we do not put logs in the fireplaces, which are not gas operated, while it is still necessary to keep the air conditioning blasting to keep most guests comfortable. On nearly 10,000 sq ft you may find very little green on the dusty blue exterior, as for spider webs, they can appear in minutes and the wedding host & hostess made a special request to keep the rustic appearance in keeping with their theme.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Leola, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

A mere 60 minutes north of Orlando is a beautiful little town with quaint shops, wonderful restaurants, and at least one stellar B&B. I don't know what the unhappy reviewers were expecting from a B&B. This isn't an old house with some nice bedclothes, it was built to be a B&B in the mid 1990's. The rooms are more like suites than the many small B&B's we've stayed in. Yes, the owners own and love 4 wonderful Russian Wolfhounds, and several cats. If you can't tolerate animals, stay away. Go to some sterile modern hotel. Our room was delightful, the towels were fine, and the pool was clean and relaxing. Breakfast here is a sophisticated brunch-style meal that lasts awhile. Come here to relax. If you want some rubber eggs at 0700 before you rush out the door, this isn't for you.

This would be a perfect prelude to a Disney Vacation or a honeymoon with the mouse. Do yourself a favor and find some peace before or after you visit the hustle-bustle of Orlando. We did, and we'll be back.

Room Tip: The third floor suite has the best view of the lake, but all the rooms (available to see as long as...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

After much consideration I have decided to do this review simply for the poor possible other suckers that didn't read these reviews. I did and decided to stay here anyways because of the pool. Boy was I wrong and left after the first night. When I arrived she wanted to my credit card right away so she could charge the 2nd night stay. I already paid for the first night stay 2 months prior. I now see why she did that. The pool was green with yellow mustard algae. The house is blue but can't tell with all of the green mold on it. The towels I wouldn't have wiped my dog down with them. I am not quite sure if they changed the sheets from the previous guest...but the icing on the cake was horrendous smell that came into my room at 7:30 PM and never left. They decided to cook either sauerkraut or cauliflower when they had a guest staying in the room right next to the kitchen. I don't make a habit of being unkind or not happy but I was so upset with the unwelcoming atmosphere and the lack of TLC that this property needs that I demanded my money back for the 2nd night and I left. All of the bad reviews this property has received I experienced and told her to read and fix these things or get out of the business. I left with her very amicably BUT when she told her husband he came after me and started yelling and called me a b.t c h. That's when all bets were off and I decided to tell the truth here. Keeping a B&B is hard work and you have to love it and the people you are welcoming. These people clearly do not. Also beware....her comments to these reviews are a bunch of huey. I ended up staying at a real B&B in the same town and they were wonderful to me and my dog. Go to Cinnamon Inn. Save yourself some anguish.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
After nearly 20 years of innkeeping, this is the first time I’ve been told what I may prepare for dinner. Clean sheets / towels daily go without saying. It is unfortunate that amongst the numerous raves we get, now and then there is an unhappy guest who likes to yield their little bit of power of exaggeration to cause us grief. The hundreds who visit us each year are happy and rave about what we offer; we want to thank those who tell others, but do not coerce them into writing a review / try walking to town from Cinnamon Inn. This guest started yelling and using profanity and received a like response, then she decided to use the power of the pen and get revenge. On nearly 10,000 sq ft you may find very little green on the dusty blue exterior, however, most don’t even notice because they are enjoying all of the beautiful landscaping and interesting furnishings.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is one of the best pet friendly places we've stayed. The Captains Quarters has its own entran ce and is an enormous room with lovely furnishings, a window settee overlooking the lake, comfy chairs and even a dog cookie jar. Hosts Margie and Randy graciously allowed our dog to have unleashed use of the back yard. We were able to have breakfast outside or on the porch with the dog. There is a nice pool area, and the grounds are very nice. An easy walk into Mt Dora via the back roads. Eclectic and interesting decor. Very clean and comfortable. Hosts were very helpful and fun to talk with. Very leisurely pace. Coffee at 8. Fruit around 9 with a pastry The main course is served around 10 or later. The point is to sleep in and enjoy the surroundings. Not a good choice if you want an early start to your day . Would have appreciated more variety with the breakfast instead of eggs every day

Room Tip: We looked at many of the rooms. They were all great and many had multiple beds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jensen Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My co-workers and I decided we needed a fun getaway. We researched the area and chose the Heron Cay for our 2 night stay. We totally enjoyed the hospitality at this charming bed and breakfast. We chose the suite with plenty of room to accommodate the four of us. Our hosts Margie and Randi made us feel like part of their family. Their help with places to go in the area was much appreciated as it was our first time visiting the area. Randi and Margie provided a delicious breakfast each morning. Their fresh fruit platter was filled with perfectly ripe fruit; some grown in their own garden. Although we didn't have to go for a swim, one of us put her feet in and said that the pool temperature was perfect. Everything was neat and clean from the furniture and bedding to the antique silver and china used for breakfast. We all wished that we had more time at this charming B&B and can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is my third time to stay at Heron Cay. Of all the B&B's I've stayed at, this one is my favorite. Marge, Randy and there furry friends are the best and very accommodating. The food is the best also. Love the fried poached eggs & the fresh cooked bread. This time there was an added treat. Fresh from their garden, Mango's and pineapple. Yum, Yum. Their home (which it is) is beautiful, relaxing and a great place for a long weekend get-away. We've learned so much about Highway Men paintings from them also. Now I have three and my friend has five. We plan trips at least twice a year for girls birthday weekends and this is the place to celebrate. Nice pool to relax by too. Thank you both for our most recent weekend trip and trips from the past too!
Penny, Joyce, Debbie and Sue

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Vero Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The good: Spacious room with robe, great lake view, fairly comfortable bed, fireplace, generous breakfast.
The bad: Several dogs and cats in kitchen around food, when asked if we had any dietary restrictions or allergies and we told them specifically yes and explained what they were, the next morning we awoke to find that the breakfast did indeed contain what I am deadly allergic too. No apologies made except Margie saying in a nonchalant demeanor "can't you pick them out?" You cannot get ruder or more considerate than that.
We noticed a pool when we looked out the window but no invitation to go out there to use it so we assumed it's their own private yard and pool? The sheets and linens have seen better days and the shampoo and soaps were in a pump re-fill bottle - totally unsanitary.
The front porch furniture was cob-webbed and only there for show it seems so we didn't sit outside either. No snacks, no complimentary soft-drinks, no wine-cheese hour. Owners have no interest in getting to know guests and Margie just seems tired and put out by everyone and everything.
The biggest clincher is the fact that Margie holds back the bigger nicer suites until the moments before booking hoping to get top dollar or hoping to save them for special guests. We called initially to see if suites were available and she said no, only to find out they did indeed have a suite empty when we checked in which she was willing to discount to another couple. Her pricing on her website is way off. She will sell rooms at different prices depending on her mood and who she likes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I thank these guests for the positive comments, ‘Spacious room with robe, great lake view, fairly comfortable bed, fireplace, generous breakfast.’ Apparently they didn’t read our Greetings in our ‘Welcome Book,’ I am totally baffled by their complaints: no invitation to use the pool ! Just walk out into the garden thru the unlocked back doors and enjoy the pool and patio. . . Unsanitary pump re-fill bottle ? Guess they did not notice the small complimentary guest soaps and shampoos provided in every room. How more eco-friendly can we be, (should we use bars of soap and throw them away each day). coffee, hot tea & chocolate, small candies & munchies are always available as well as bottled water in their personal refrig. Best of all . . . why on earth would I not rent a higher priced room if requested, and save it for a future ‘maybe.’ Pricing on website is accurate, however, we do discount from time to time if we want to stimulate business. Food is prepared fresh for each meal in our kitchen / this is our home and our dogs and cats pass thru, they are not present during cooking. Breakfast always consists of fresh coffee, juice, sweet breads, lots of fresh fruit and always at least two different egg choices (one without mushrooms). Most guests appreciate the complicated breakfast buffet we offer and do not expect a specific meal for each and every guest.

Been to Heron Cay Lakeview Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!