“Lack of TLC” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Miramar
Tampa, FL
“Lack of TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The staff was very attentive. Above all in the front desk. The morning breakfast was standard. Room was in good standing, BUT the common areas were in need of attention. This is not the first time I stay here, and I remember having the same observations. The hallways carpets need shampooing and vacuuming. The carpets leading to the doors to building need cleaning. It really makes looks the surroundings look bad!

Green Features: Recycling containers for paper and plastics. No bad.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We were visiting our son and his family and stayed two nights at this hotel. Everything was clean and well cared for as I expect from Marriott. While we weren't there very long it more than met our needs. The free breakfast was very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Rocklin, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here with my wife, in-laws and daughters. Had a great time. Had a ground floor two bedroom unit with patio opening to pool. Kids loved it and a great place to read and people watch. The kitchen was fully equipped and also had washer/dryer. Easy access to many restaurants and shopping. Staff was friendly and helpful with local attractions. Will stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We chose this hotel as a place to stay before heading to the port of Miami. Check in was smooth, our room was close to parking and the entrance. We booked a studio room. The room was clean and the kitchen was nice. The Queen Bed was awful, the mattress was flimsy and made noises every time we moved. It was not the normal mattress that Marriott usually has. We both woke with stiff necks and body aches.

The hotel must have had a couple of children groups as they were running up & down the halls until after midnight. The walls seemed paper thin as we could hear the people next to us talking. We did not complain, but was told many other guests did.

When I went to the lobby to get my morning coffee, the hotel had opened the breakfast an hour early and the place was full with all the kids. Plus they made a huge mess, leaving food and trash everywhere. A hotel employee helped me with creamers and we cleaned up the coffee station.

However, when I was leaving the lobby, I noticed Mayte, the Marriott employee that takes care of the breakfast area. She had 2 trays of bagels and muffins, she was trying to walk past all the kids and parents. I was very impressed with Mayte, not only did she have to open an hour early, she also had to deal with the mess of this group and with all that...She actually had a smile on her face! I hope that Marriott sees what valued employee they have in Mayte!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor and maybe at the end of the hallway.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for a mini vacay with my kids. As a mom of a special needs child (I have a 5 year old with Down Syndrome and Sensory Processing Disorder) vacations aren't always stress free. But I had the best of hopes for this mini vacay. I checked into the hotel and the woman at the front wasn't the most personable person I've ever met but she was tolerable. She took my debit card and proceeded to charge it for the amount of the stay ($373...which included the $20 per night deposit for incidentals). As the kids and I were getting settled in the room I decided to just check my account balance and I noticed that the card had been charged $433....well as a single mom I am VERY diligent with accounting for every one of my pennies and this charge only left me with $9.00 in this particular account. I immediately called down to the front desk, I must admit with an attitude, wanting to know why they had charged so much. I was then transferred to Ms. Nikolova. She explained to me that the Marriott had only gotten approval for $380. I explained to her that I was looking at my account and it CLEARLY stated $433 pending for the Residence Inn. I called PNC and I was told that when checking into a hotel THE BANK places an addition 15-25% on hold ON TOP of what the hotel asks for. I had NEVER heard of that before. I called Ms. Nikolova back, with the supervisor of the bank on the line and Ms. Nikolova told them to release the extra funds as that is not what they requested AND that is not what they got authorization for. The Bank Supervisor told her she could not manually do that because the charges were PENDING. So in an effort to help me Ms. Nikolova went ahead and charged me for the stay so that the charges would post and no longer be pending thus releasing the extra funds immediately (as that is what the bank supervisor said would happen). Ms. Nikolova said she would do it but didn't think it would work....and SHE WAS RIGHT. The bank STILL did not release the funds which would leave me with access to only $9 for the length of my stay there. After I hung up with the THIRD bank supervisor I called Ms. Nikolova back to tell her the outcome and she was VERY APOLOGETIC (over something that SHE had no control over) she said she wished she could do more and I thanked her for all of her help. About 30 minutes later I noticed something under my door....it was a $25 gift card to Publix. It brought me to tears. She had already gone out of her way to help resolve an issue that she had nothing to do with and now she took time out of her day to provide me with the gift card. She is a VERY rare individual and I hope that the Residence Inn understands and acknowledges just how lucky they are to have her as an employee!!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
guestsnumberonefan, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW / Miramar, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback! We appreciate you taking out time to review our hotel and provide us with comments on your stay. I am sorry about the challenges you experienced with regard to the bank issue. We know how frustrating this could be while traveling.
I am very happy to hear that Elena, our General Manager was able to give you some peace of mind and assistance during this challenge. We have shared this with our organization so that others may be informed on this type of situation.
We look forward to your next visit with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Miramar FL. We look forward to your next visit with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Miramar FL.
Simpsonville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I checked in with two of my work colleagues. Within an hour I received text messages from them that they were checking out because either the bed or the bathroom had hair and dirt that was not cleaned up. I actually made it till the next morning before I couldn't stand it anymore. There was something dirty at every turn. Especially the dishes in the mini kitchen. Maintenance is poor as is employee attitude. The final jab was the absolutely horrible breakfast. At least the TV and the AC worked.

Room Tip: go to the hilton across the street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
guestsnumberonefan, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW / Miramar, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We appreciate you taking out time to review our hotel and provide us with comments on your stay. I am sorry to hear that your stay was less than pleasant. Our goal is that every one of our guests experience the best stay ever at our hotel and it saddens me to hear that your stay was not. I am very disappointed that your colleagues had to check out before their stay ended and that the rooms were less than perfect upon check-in and throughout the night. . We will be discussing your comments with our housekeeping staff and sharing your experience. I would like to speak with you and learn more about your incident so that we can follow up and make sure the room you and your colleagues occupied are thoroughly inspected to avoid this happening in the future. Again, I am very sorry for this challenge and hope that you will give us another chance in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel 954-450-2717 ext. 6002. Yours in Service, Cristina Andujar, Director of Sales
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here after going to our son's high school football game in Miami. It was in a good neighborhood (which can be hard to find). The breakfast, as always, in all Residence Inns was great. The room was comfortable. We had a two bedroom with a living room and full kitchen. The pool area was clean but the light in the pool was damaged and not working at night. In the morning the gym did not have any towels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback! We appreciate you taking out time to review our hotel and provide us with comments on your stay. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our location provided the convenience and safety you needed and were looking for in a hotel. Thank you for mentioning the pool light. We will follow up with our maintenance at the hotel with regard to getting the pool light fixed. We look forward to your next visit with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Miramar FL. Yours in service, Cristina Andujar, Director of Sales

Been to Residence Inn Fort Lauderdale SW / Miramar? Share your experiences!