“The worst customer service. Will never go back.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Dining Deal
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Miramar
miami, fl
“The worst customer service. Will never go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Last Saturday, my boyfriend and I shared a wonderful evening at Steak 954 in Broward to celebrate his birthday. It was late and a long drive home, so we decided to rent a hotel for the night. Since it was a last minute idea, we decided to go online and book at the Marriott Courtyard via hotels.com. We finally get to the hotel, and we were greeted by the "night auditor" Sarah. Mind you, I put extra emphasis on the night auditor title, since she repeated it numerous times throughout the evening. As we are ready to check in and go to bed, our reservations were not in the system. We did explain that we booked the room via hotels.com maybe 45 minutes beforehand. We showed her our confirmation number, and of course that was not sufficient. She proceeded to criticize hotels.com, and that this happens "all the time" according to her. I then asked, if that was the case, then what are our options? Mind you its 2am, and we are extremely tired, and all we wanted was to get a room. Did Sarah, the night auditor, have any options for us? Yes, call hotels.com and figure it out. Yes, that was her attitude.
My boyfriend decided to call hotels.com and speak to them directly, which the lady from hotels.com called the front desk to figure out what is going on. At this moment, I thought everything will be squared away momentarily since a rep from hotels.com is now speaking to Sarah. Of course, I could not hear exactly what was being said on the other line, but it didn't take a rocket scientist that Sarah was being very unreasonable. The representative from hotels.com requested if they can fax over our reservation to the hotel, and use that as a confirmation, since our reservation was not uploaded to the hotel's system. Sarah, of course, refused adamantly, and explained that is not her procedure, and will not do that. And that she was not able to check us in or out that way. Then hotels.com also suggested that our reservation will be uploaded in the system by the morning, but to just check us in. Nope, of course Sarah, "night auditor" refused to budge. This went on for 30 minutes!! It is now 2:30 in the morning, and Sarah did not show ONE OUNCE of any type of concern or even EFFORT to accommodate us.
Finally, Sarah was placed on hold by hotels.com, and while I tried my best to keep my composure, I did ask again what were our options? Hoping she would show some remorse or sympathy, but did she? You guessed it no. Sarah suggested for us to cancel the reservation via hotels.com and to book it again thru her directly. At that time, I was outraged, not only of the suggestion but her attitude and her unwillingness to even help us. I immediately told her that was not an option, since hotels.com does not have a refund policy, and we were not going to pay for the hotel again!
Eventually, my boyfriend who was outside on the phone, since the lobby area did not have any reception came back. I did have to remind him to please remain calm, since it was late and pretty much we were at her mercy, which she was very well aware of and took total advantage. However Sarah did notice my boyfriend's frustration, and after an HOUR of going back and forth with hotels.com, she decided to accept the fax as a confirmation to our reservation. While she was trying to put us in the system, she complained throughout every minute of it. Like SHE was the one being inconvenienced!! I have stayed in MANY MANY hotels, and I have NEVER EVER experienced the incompetence and unreasonable demeanor as this night auditor demonstrated. So much so, my boyfriend and I will never forget her name. And since then, we have shared our experience to others.
I do not recommend this hotel to ANYONE. If you are in the neighborhood, you might as well rent at the Residence Inn.
I guess there is truth in the saying, you get what you pay for. And if that's the case, we overpaid for our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Miguel H, General Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW / Miramar, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Jennifer,

Thank you so much for bringing your experience to my attention, and please accept my apologies for any inconvenient this may have caused you. After doing some research of my own I found out that there was a "software/timming" problem with your reservation which we fixed and won't happen again. This was a misunderstanding and I do recognize that we could have done a better job while handling this situation.
Anyways we are very happy to see that you are comming back once again as one of our valued guests!
Thank you so much for your patronage, I am sure we will have the opportunity to have you as our guest many times in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Spent the first of what I expect to be regular visits to this property since it is almost walking distance to a frequent business location. The service provided at the front desk was excellent with the desk clerk offering great recommendations for late night dinner. The room starts with a small entrance way and the bed on the inside wall with a loveseat, coffee table and flat screen TV rounding out a very welcoming and roomy layout. Immaculately clean and a sound machine for a relaxing nights sleep make this a very nice room. The breakfast in the morning with made to order eggs and other hot dishes made the visit complete. I will absolutely be choosing Courtyard for my future trips to Miramar.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Miguel H, Manager at Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW / Miramar, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We look forward to having you stay at our hotel in the near future!
chicago, il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay here twice in the last couple of weeks. It is a decent place with a friendly staff. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The property is in a good location although a little tough to find as the address on the hotels website did not work in my GPS. There are bigbox retailers close by and lots of restaurants close by as well.
We ate at the hotel for breakfast once and we were really rushed and the buffet seemed very incomplete. To my surprise the host handed me a bill and said that he only charged us for the continental breakfast since they buffet was so incomplete as they were closing the breakfast service. It was kind of deceiving as there were no indicators that you were being charged for breakfast as most courtyards include it as part of the package and they quality of the breakfast seemed on the same order as free breakfasts you get at other places.
We did not use the pool but it looked clean. Decent place to stay if you are in Miramar and have work at the Miramar Business Center down the street.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for such a positive review! We appreciate you taking your time to review our hotel
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

Typical Courtyard, maybe a little older than some. We were upgraded to a suite, which was nice, but otherwise, nothing spectacular here. Outdoor pool, if it was heated, wasn't extremely heated, lol.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Courtyard by Marriott Miramar. That is wonderful that you were upgraded to a suite, I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed it!
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I spent two nights in this hotel during last week. They assigned me a room on the third floor next to the elevator, which initially I request to change it but the hotel was booked. It wasn't that bad, I thought it would be noisy, but it wasn't.

I paid the stay using miles and according to the website parking, wireless internet and breakfast was included-even thought waiter issued an invoice for my room account. Internet didn't work for a whole night, front desk transfered me to technical support who tried to help me for an hour. They finally found out it was a serious problem and solved it during the evening. At check out talked to the manager on duty about internet and breakfast cost and she was kind enough not to charge it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
We are so glad to here that you had such a great experience at our hotel and that the Manager upon checkout was able to assit you. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Our recent experience at this hotel was not satisfactory. The room had furniture which was well worn--less than one would expect of this hotel. Additionally, the bathtub had half of it's enamel worn off. We should have asked for a different room but mistakenly did not. After showering the following morning I discovered bits of enamel all over my skin. When mentioning to this to the clerk at check-out, we received a polite "I'm sorry." This room should not be assigned to anyone until it is renovated!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel until it is renovated!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel. I am sorry hear that you had an unpleasant experience. However, I am pleased to tell you that we have recently renovated all of our bathtubs in the hotel so this will never be an issue again!
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

The Courtyard Fort Lauderdale is a nice enough place to stay, but sometimes it's the little things that make the difference between a great stay and just an OK one. The check-in process was very smooth and the front desk staff very accommodating. No issues there. The breakfast was great in a large area with a comprehensive buffet - costs $9.95. It was somewhat disconcerting to be told breakfast is available and then find out it is not free, but it was a good value and convenient. A better quality of coffee would be a nice touch. Real cream for the coffee in a pitcher or thermos would have been good as well considering the breakfast is a paid affair.
The room I had was fine, good lighting and free Internet. The wireless connection was very poor in my room (mentioned by others in their rooms as well) but there also was an option to hard wire connect and that worked pretty well. My room did not have an extra blanket though an empty plastic bag in a dresser drawer attested to that fact there had been one in there at one time. Others in my group all mentioned they had found and used their extra blankets. The second day I was there I returned to my room to find it had been cleaned but none of the trash had been taken out. Between the trash situation and the missing blanket I came to the conclusion that there does not seem to be much oversight in the housekeeping department. The bath tub slip mat was still lying in the tub.
The hotel had 24 hour free coffee in the lobby with cookies in the afternoon. The hotel is in the middle of a complex of hotels so walkability to any shops, restaurants, etc. is not an option unless you want to go to another hotel restaurant. It is very accessible from the highway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel. We will definately take all of your comments into consideration. We hope to see you again here at the Courtyard by Marriott Miramar in the near future!

Been to Courtyard Fort Lauderdale SW / Miramar? Share your experiences!