“Disappointed in the Beach!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Leeward Key Condominiums to your Saves list
Leeward Key Condominiums
2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2936 Scenic Gulf Dr, Miramar, FL 32550   |
house001
“Disappointed in the Beach!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed at the Leeward Key, Unit 801. The condo was beautiful, but the beach was horrible. The seaweed, trash and the smell was unbelievable. We paid $84.00 for 3 umbrellas and chairs and only stayed on the beach for about 2 hours. That's all we could stand of the smell and the filth. If don't know if the property owners have to pay a homeowners association due, but if the do, I would demand that something be done. That was our 3rd stay and If I ever do go back, I will bring a rake to at least clean a spot for my family. I talked to a couple of friends that stayed in Pensicola, they said every night there would be a crew out cleaning the beach. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shreveport, LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed in 1202 with my son, daughter in law and 8 yr. old grandson. This is a top floor corner condo, pet friendly. Breathtaking ocean views. Leeward Key is on beautiful Scenic 98 - no fast food, souvenir shops, tourist traps - just beautiful beach homes / condos, all with private beach access. Quiet,absolutely gorgeous area. A convenient couple of miles to the main drag and grocery store, etc. The condo was spacious, nicely furnished with a full kitchen - plenty of cookware / dishes, etc. 3 TV's. DVD. Balcony. Will definitely book this again if we go back to Destin.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Zachary, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Great for families! A little too much room for just two people. Two pools, one beach side. The best thing about the place was that it was QUIET, at least when we stayed. Would return again tomorrow. A sure bet in Mirimar Beach. If you book online make sure that you understand that this is a condo and that a cleaning fee will be charged when you check in.

Room Tip: Call Resort Quest (now Wyndham) before you book.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Strafford, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

We stayed in condo #803 and had a blast. The rooms were all very clean. All appliances up to date and worked. My husband and I traveled with our 3 kids 10,8, & 5 and my mother. We had plenty of room and it was a very short walk to the beach which was private and never congested. The pool is a big plus for moms it is only 5 feet deep and the deep end so I got to relax by the pool and let the kids play without worry. The condo is close to everything you could possibly need. I would recommend this condo to anyone going to Florida. We had a great time!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I've stayed at Leeward Key many many times and always in the corner 2 bedroom units. I have never experienced any weird noises. I've stayed several times in 906 (great owner and lovely condo) and 706 and never had any problems. This is a quiet, calm, relaxing place to stay. It is across a 2 lane road from the beach, but really, this road is very pedestrian friendly! The walk to the beach is nothing and I'm lazy so trust me it's nothing to worry about!! Parking, never had one problem. If you want party city, don't stay here.

Kenny D's next door is always good for oysters. Capt Daves ( I think that's the name) just across the street is a really good place to eat. Not at all fancy inside (in fact they really could use a good spruce up). But the seafood....excellent. Our waiter, superior! Not cheap but not crazy expensive either.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

We had a wonderful time! Leeward Key is a beautiful place with wonderful spacious rooms. We were facing the ocean and the room had all the amenities of home. I would absolutely come back next year and stay at Leeward Key. It is in a great location, great for families. The walks on the beach in the morning are awesome!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Cincinnati, OH
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

We enjoyed the location, beach access, pools and the view, BUT on our 3rd night, we discovered a KNOWN building flaw that cost us 4 nights' sleep. Our corner unit, #806 had all the extra vistas that go with a corner unit, but the cost of the unobstructed balcony view was a VERY loud humming vibration that kept my whole family up for 4 nights straight.

Apparently, anytime the wind is between 10-20 mph (which is 80% of the time at the beach), the wind causes the metal balcony railing to violently vibrate - into the attached master b-room wall and throughout the duct work. We discovered this on our 3rd and every subsequent night. The building maint. man confirmed that "it's that way most of the time, and the sound can be deafening." He said they've tried everything they can think of to fix it, but nothing has worked.

Anyway, we went to our rental company, Ocean Reef, and they were completely unresponsive - offering us a 5% refund (for our 4 nights of misery). This was after they sent a guy to inspect it, who admitted that he couldn't sleep with that noise either?

My guess is the other (non-corner) units don't experience this issue, but I wouldn't suggest an East corner unit to my worst enemy.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The loud wind noise
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Candlewood Suites Destin - Miramar Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin
Wingate by Wyndham Destin
Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Leeward Key Condominiums? Share your experiences!