“Unit #603 - Amazing.” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   1096 Scenic Gulf Drive, Miramar, FL 32550   |
Tennessee
“Unit #603 - Amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Unit #603 at Surfside Resort is a beautiful condo. The ocean view from inside this unit is amazing. Very large balcony overlooks the pool, beach/ocean. Floor to ceiling windows. Condo was spotless, spacious and modern. The unit had everything we needed (cookware, silverware, icemaker, towels, shampoo, free wifi, cable tv, dvd, beach chairs and umbrella, etc.)

Surfside Resort has beautiful views, easy access, covered parking, pool, 2 hot tubs, poolside bar, sauna, fitness center, onsite restaurant and spa. Perfect location - block away from shopping, grocery stores and restaurants. Sky bridge walkover to the beach was very convenient and had an open-air restaurant/bar on the top level.

I booked unit #603 directly from the owner, Mike with ease (VRBO 347162) Surfside is a family-friendly resort, but it would also be perfect for a couples getaway. We fell asleep to the sound of the ocean waves nightly, the pool and beach weren't ever too crowded, plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby, and we drove down to neighboring beaches Grayton, Watercolor, Seaside all within minutes - we pretty much had a perfect stay.

My only gripe would be that we couldn't find any onsite recycling, just a trash chute.

Room Tip: Book directly from owners, check VRBO.com
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

been coming to Destin for many years. Surfside continues to be a leader by the way they maintain and improve the overall facility. Always clean, friendly, and helpful. Very convenient forn restaurants, walk to the beach and recently the new restaurant and other retail options make it a clear winning place to be. keep it up.
Larry

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Millis, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

We rented an individually owned 2 bedroom condo. The unit was beautiful and clean. We had a beach view balcony that we loved. The Surfside complex was very nice, a little dated maybe. The beach and beach service were perfect, having the private beach was great. We also enjoyed the bar on the beach and the very friendly bartender! The pool deck seemed nice and definitely clean but we didn't use it. The location of the resort was great for us also. We liked that there were a few places in walking distance for breakfast and late night drinks/food. The only slight negatives were that there was construction going on at one of the other complexes next door so the first morning we were woken up by banging. We did have a fan in our room so we used that and had better sleep. Also the sheets on our bed were the low quality scratchy kind not too terrible but a little uncomfortable on my sunburn!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I am writing this review only after being here a few hours. I paid for one whole week.

First let me rate the appearance of the building: The building itself is old and in desperate need of some painting and renovation. There is a musty smell when you walk into the lobby. The elevators are old and slow. You have to wait an eternity to get up or down. The balconies are made of glass, so when you sit to enjoy your view, all you can notice is the the film of dirt on the glass. My immediate feeling upon arrival was, I can't believe I'm going to be here one week.

Next I will describe my arrival experience, and the condo, (808), that we paid almost 400 per night for one week.
Once I gave the Sales Manager my credit card, not before, she sent me the check in and check out instructions, check in 3pm, check out 9:00 a.m.
She says this is because the cleaning people have three units to clean.
So as you can see one of your days is basically stolen.

I didn't like this but was okay with it because the manager emailed me that I could arrive any time on my day of arrival because there was no one occupying the condo.

So I didn't mind the early check out since I could arrive early on check in day. From where I live, It's a 7 hour drive to Destin. I arrived at around 12:30p.m.. The instructions indicated that key was in a box. No need to check in. I was traveling by myself and 4 year old daughter, husband and teenage kids to follow in a couple of days.

I had the truck loaded with bags and food. There was no one available to help me, so I loaded two carts with as much stuff as I could, and made it up to the condo. To my surprise, the place is not ready. Dirty sheets still there dirty towels, dirty brooms and mops.

I call the rental manager and she does not believe me when I tell her that the place is dirty and not ready. I have to actually describe to her how there are dirty sheets, etc. beds not made, etc. She doesn't apologize. She just tells me that she didn't know it was still dirty. They must not have had a chance to do it yesterday. She said she was going to call them and call me back. Again, no apologies were made.

She does not call me back. Fifteen minutes later I call her back. She tells me that they are still cleaning the other condos and when they arrive to clean this one it will take them two hours to clean. Not what you want to hear after a 3:00 a.m. wake up and a seven hour drive. At this point I have two carts full of luggage and other items sitting in the hallway, and a 4-year-old.
The manager tells me to just leave it sitting in the hallway. Again, she never says sorry for the inconvenience or anything of that nature.

There is no way I was going to leave my stuff in the hallway so I asked her if I could leave it in a corner inside the condo. I head back downstairs where I left my car parked at the front of the building. When I get there, two security people are about to tow my car because they felt it had been there too long. I said sorry and explained what happened upstairs.

I get back in the car and decide to go have lunch somewhere. My toddler quickly falls asleep once I get her in the car. I drive to an eating area and realize that I can't leave the car in the hot sun because some of the things I have in the car( Easter eggs, etc.) would melt. Since the building had a covered deck, I headed back to Surfside and decide to just wait in my car.

Two hours later I call the manager back since I had not heard anything from her. She tells me that she was going to call and would get back to me. She doesn't. I call back and she tells me that it should be ready because they told her 30 minutes ago that it would be. It was 4pm when I finally re-entered the condo, three and a half hours later.

To make a long story short, this was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in this industry. The sad thing is that the owners are actually paying this lady to manage this property for them.

The condo is a nice size. It has three large bedrooms all with views of the beach and a balcony. The condo is in desperate need of renovation. It needs painting, new furniture, etc. The closets are not very clean. The drawers where you would store your clothing were dirty with sand and crumbs, stuff from the renters past. There are area rugs everywhere that are extremely filthy and need replacing.

As for entertainment, there is a small (27 inch? Definitely not 32) flat screen TV in the living room. The rest of the rooms have a small (not flat screen) old TV. The master bedroom has one of those dinosaur TVs with a VHS player, no DVD, and no remote control. To play music, there is a dated boom box type of music player to play CDs and cassettes, no input for Aux. That is it.

The Master bed was comfortable except that the linen on the bed is cheap hotel white type, meaning not soft. There were no additional covers, beside sheets, in case you got cold at night. So my daughter and I froze all night. The only cover besides sheets that the bed had was that red cover you see in the picture. That is the first thing I take off a bed when I stay in a hotel because I know they don't get washed after each renter leaves. They just put it back on the bed. So I will go out today and purchase some covers for warmth at night.

As for the furniture, like I said, it is old, cheap and worn out. It could use replacing. The kitchen is okay. It is not very big. It is advertised as fully stocked with supplies to cook with. Well, everything I've seen is very cheap in quality. The pots and pans are the type you would find at the dollar store.

After the ordeal of check- in, I took my daughter to the beach, and that is the only positive thing I have to say. The beach is wonderful. Sand is white, soft and beautiful. Seeing her enjoy the beach made me forget bad experience yesterday.

I wanted to write, a review while everything was fresh in my mind. Unfortunately we have already paid for a one-week stay in this place ($ 2300). I will just try to make the best of it. As long as the kids have a good time, that is all that matters.

I, however, will not stay here again and do not recommend it. Next time I will not rent if there are no reviews. There were no reviews of this place. It's advertised on VRBO, #221004. It is definitely several steps down than what we're accustomed to. It may be perfect for somebody, but not not for us.

A consumer.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Cincinnati, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

Our family has stayed at this property for over 15 years - sometimes visiting more than once a year. The Surfside is a high rise on Scenic Highway 98 about 7 miles east of Destin. Its actually closer to Sandestin if you are familar with the area. The building is about 25 years old but is well maintained. There is a new restaurant, Rick's Crab Trap. The food is decent and the prices are in line, but our service was very slow. The Tiki bar has re-opened. The drink prices are very reasonable. Another new addition is a spa on premises offering massages. It is privately run. My wife attempted 3 times to set an appointment, but she ended up playing phone tag.

Pros: Private beach area with access to the beach via a bridge across the street. Pool and two outdoor hot tubs are not too large, but they are okay. Showers and restrooms (with saunas) conveniently located close to the pool. Rooms are spaceous and usually comfortably furnished. Most rooms have balconies. A fitness room is available with treadmills, stationary bikes, etc. There are two nice tennis courts and a basketball backboard on the first level above the lobby. The Surfside is also close to the outlet mall on Hwy 98. Free wireless interent is available in all rooms.

Cons: Some of the rentals are showing their age and could be updated a bit. While the odd-numbered units have a nice view of the beach, the views in the even-numbered units are partially blocked by some relatively new buildings next door. In fact, our biggest problem has been the congestion around the area due to the neighboring buildings. Not only is there much more traffic, but the beach can get VERY crowded in peak season.

Other Comments: We would recommend this property only in April-May (after spring break) or Late August through September. Otherwise, it's just too crowded. The staff has always been friendly and accomodating. Something new for us on this trip - security guards walking around the property. I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse about staying at the Surfside.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
OKC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

Our stay at the Surfside resort Destin, FL was great! We rented our condo directly from the owner, however, we originally found the condo on VRBO.com.

We were hesitate to go because hurricane Gustav was suppose to hit just west of Destin the day we were to arrive. But the owners were very understanding so we wound up going. And we are so glad we did!

We had a 3 bed, 3 bath condo. We had 6 adults and 1 baby. It was furnished with most everything we needed. Could have used a few minor things but not really a big deal. Our balcony was huge! Loved that!

First of all, we were there Sept 1st (Labor Day) for the whole week. There was no crowds at all. Very good time to go. Pick your spot on the beach. The ocean was a little rough but to be expected with the hurricane and all. Perfect weather though. Windy for the first 3 days, with double red flags, but after that. great! We actually liked the wind.

The Surfside resort was good. We did have a little trouble with our air conditioner getting cold enough, but it was still cool. However, had it been in the heat of the summer, then that might have been a problem.

We didn't have to deal with the resort people at all since we booked directly with the owner. The resort restaurant and tiki bar were closed though which would have been nice had they been open. The pool felt great and there were two hot tubs as well as a kiddie pool too. The walkway over the road to the beach was nice but just as easy to cross street too. The owner of our condo provided complimentary beach service so that was a real plus.

The area around the condo was very nice. The condo's across the street and directly behind were very nice! You really had to drive to most everything though except there was a restaurant on the beach that you could walk to. It was the Whales Tail I believe it was. We only got drinks there one night though so couldn't comment on the food. But I did hear it was expensive.

We didn't have issues with the elevators like I've read on here before. But it may have been because it wasn't busy this time of year.

Would I stay here again? Probably would.

• Liked — Easy access to the beach
  • Disliked — the cleanliness (or the lack of) the condo and I wish it were directly ON the beach
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Atlanta, Ga.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I agree with the blogger's review dated 08 August. We were there week 04 August. The tiki bar, restaurant and beach bar were closed. The pool area was rundown and no umbrellas. The pool surface was grungy, the bathhouse was filthy and the pool is small for a bldg this size. I would check photos carefully before you book. This is an older property, so each unit is updated whenever. Some are recent and are beautiful, and some look like early 1990s Waverly. The sliding glass doors are nasty as well as the lobby looks tired. The property appears to need a major overhaul and after that, will be nice again as Surfside had its heyday at one time. The east facing units have a great view of the shore. The parking attendant is a pain and will hand out tickets that look like real parking tickets. There are only 2 slow elevators. We had family staying at the Ariel Dunes next door and what a difference. A new property with several pools, several/fast elevators and modern amenities. The parking was very ample and the gate attendant was very nice. The Ariel Dunes folks even paid less. I hope Surfside renovates soon.

• Liked — East view of the shore
  • Disliked — Pool area, closed restaurants, parking attendant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miramar
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Sundestin Beach Resort
Sundestin Beach Resort
#30 of 57 in Destin
4.0 of 5 stars 230 reviews

Been to Surfside Resort? Share your experiences!