“what a dreadful place” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 hotels in Miami Springs
limoges
“what a dreadful place”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

we stayed there for one long night after a cruise and wished that we had done our homework.Lobby average,staff friendly and helpful but the accommodation was very downmarket and tired. The whole hotel needs a major revamp and until that is done look elsewhere for even one night....there are plenty out there much much better!!

830 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

Although it's "only minutes" from the airport we were the last people left waiting at airport's curb at 11:30 pm (after 2 phone calls to the hotel) while watching all the other hotel's shuttle go by 2-3 times. Upon arrival we found a nice lobby but small stale-smelling room with baseboard falling off, a burned out light bulb and no working outlet in the bathroom. Sleeping was a joke since our bed was maybe 10-15 feet from a 6 lane, busy-all-night road. (No airport noise here...it was all drowned out by the traffic noise). There are many rooms in this hotel. I can't believe they'd put guests in ANY of the 6-8 rooms alongside the highway!!! Maybe I'd have a better recommendation if we were in a different room, but this hotel is on our "never-again" list. Only good point was the free cruise terminal transportation.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

This place is dreadful. Situated across an eight lane highway from the main airport its proximity to the airport is its only "saving" grace!!

Rooms are dirty, smelly & the bed appalling and very uncomfortable. The TV was antique and barely plugged into the wall. I have not seen a TV like that for 20 years!

The bathroom was filthy. The shower didnt work and one of the taps came off in my hand. The "included" breakfast did not materialise and the breakfast place attached to the hotel was a complete ripoff with very rude staff (not quite as rude as some of the cleaning staff, however!!)

Take my advice, spend a little more and stay elsewhere. You will make your money back in breakfast costs alone!

For UK readers do not think that this being a well known chain guarantees any sort of standard. This is a franchise and is nothing like travel-lodges/premier innsat home!!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

We were very happy to receive all free transportation included with the price of a one night stay. Convenient location for a nice walk for dinner and breakfast. Nice pool. Would stay there again.

Ann Arbor, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

Took us an hour to get the "free" shuttle. got to the hotel, which is in a seedy neighborhood. Walked into the lobby and there were six people in front of us trying to check in. There was a HOOKER working in the lobby. There was one person working plus a security guard. It was taking the receptionist 15 minutes to check in one person. We realized it would be an hour and a half to check in, we'd only get to sleep for 2.5 hours, so we got BACK in the shuttle and slept on the floor of the airport, it was that scary. Don't be fooled.

Philadelphia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

I've stayed at Days Inns throughout the country and have almost always found them reliable and comfortable -- and, particularly in the South, surprisingly good breakfast places. This location is a disaster. My family and I had three rooms; one smelled so awful (as though something or someone had died) that it was literally uninhabitable, and the front desk agreed to change it; the others smelled strongly of bleach. So we desperately needed to leave the rooms to go eat . . . but the Italian restaurant downstairs was closed without explanation, and the bleak streets outside promised little. (Ironically, three independent leafleters came by in the evening and shoved delivery menus under our doors -- as though it were possible to eat in the rooms.) We set out along traffic-heavy 36th Street, with missing sidewalks and abandoned construction and vacant lots and cars zooming by a few feet away, passed a McDonald's and a Subway, and after several blocks made it to an IHoP, which under these circumstances appeared as though an oasis. Yes, this Days Inn is across the street from the airport, but the location is terrible -- there's literally nothing nearby.

Other amenities were serviceable, but they hardly compensated. Would have much rather stayed pretty much anywhere else in the area.

• Liked — Free wi-fi.
  • Disliked — The overwhelming bleach smell.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DaysMiaGM, General Manager at Days Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Days Inn Miami Airport North. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us in Miami. It is our goal to provide our guests with a clean, quiet and comfortable place to stay. I am sorry the room smelled so strongly of bleach and apologize that you weren't accommodated to your expectations. Please give us the opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Miami, it would be my pleasure.
Steve Marin
Days Inn Miami Airport North
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I had a two day stay at this place. The first night was fine. The second night at 1:15AM someone is trying to get into my room with a card key...only the deadbolt kept them out. I watched as they waited around for 20 minutes before leaving. I couldn't fall back asleep for over an hour.

At 5:45AM I get a call but I hadn't ordered a wakeup call. When I answer, the person informs that I didn't belong in that room. I tell them I'll be down later to straighten it out. I go back to sleep. After a few minutes someone is banging on my door. I ask who it is and get security, open up. I'm frantic and wasn't going to open the door so I ignore the person. Someone is trying to get me to open the door. Why? Are they trying to harm me or rob me? The call could've been amde on one of the convenience phones located in the hallways. A few minutes later, the phone is ringing again asking me what I'm doing in the room. I ask who it is and he replies the front desk. I ask to speak to the manager and he informs me he is the manager and again what am I doing in the room. I ask his name. He refuses to identify himself. He only asks what I'm doing in the room. I tell him that if he's really the manager he can check the computer and see that I am the same person from the night before and that I booked for two nights. I ask his name again and he still refuses to give it to me. He tells me his records show no one is supposed to be in that room. A few minutes later another call. The person refuses to give me their name and wants to know what I'm doing in the room. I tell them I'm calling the police. I am scared and decide to dial 911.
Unfortunately, when I dial 911 I get the front desk (9 is to make outside calls). I tell them I'm trying to call the police and they inform me that they already did. Ten minutes later the police are at my door asking me to open it. When I see the police car in the lot and the two cops in uniform I comply. They too ask me what I'm doing in the room. I show them my reservations. One stays with me while the other takes my ID and goes downstairs. A bit later the cop downstairs talks with the officer in my room to inform him it was all a mistake.

At 7 AM I checked out. They said it was all a mistake. Since I booked this all on-line, I'm not sure what kind of mistake it was...no one at the front desk offered an apology...

The Wyndham hotel chain/Days Inn HQ did nothing for me. I wrote personal letters as well as letters on the Wyndham and Days Inn websites and got nothing from them. They sent me a standard letter stating this was an independently owned franchise and asking me for my name, stay date, and other reservation info. I filled it out and got a reply from them with the exact same standard letter.

The supposed owner of the Days Inn called me wanting to know what happened. Since I was heading to a class I told him I couldn't talk now. He asked for a convenient time to call which I gave him...never heard from him again.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this experience or the Days Inn/Wyndham chain to anyone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The place
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Days Inn Miami Airport North? Share your experiences!