“The Roadside Bleach Motel” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Miami Airport North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4767 NW 36th St, Miami Springs, FL 33166   |
Ranked #11 of 12 hotels in Miami Springs
Philadelphia
“The Roadside Bleach Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

I've stayed at Days Inns throughout the country and have almost always found them reliable and comfortable -- and, particularly in the South, surprisingly good breakfast places. This location is a disaster. My family and I had three rooms; one smelled so awful (as though something or someone had died) that it was literally uninhabitable, and the front desk agreed to change it; the others smelled strongly of bleach. So we desperately needed to leave the rooms to go eat . . . but the Italian restaurant downstairs was closed without explanation, and the bleak streets outside promised little. (Ironically, three independent leafleters came by in the evening and shoved delivery menus under our doors -- as though it were possible to eat in the rooms.) We set out along traffic-heavy 36th Street, with missing sidewalks and abandoned construction and vacant lots and cars zooming by a few feet away, passed a McDonald's and a Subway, and after several blocks made it to an IHoP, which under these circumstances appeared as though an oasis. Yes, this Days Inn is across the street from the airport, but the location is terrible -- there's literally nothing nearby.

Other amenities were serviceable, but they hardly compensated. Would have much rather stayed pretty much anywhere else in the area.

• Liked — Free wi-fi.
  • Disliked — The overwhelming bleach smell.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
DaysMiaGM, General Manager at Days Inn Miami Airport North, responded to this review, February 19, 2009
I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Days Inn Miami Airport North. I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us in Miami. It is our goal to provide our guests with a clean, quiet and comfortable place to stay. I am sorry the room smelled so strongly of bleach and apologize that you weren't accommodated to your expectations. Please give us the opportunity to serve you the next time you are in Miami, it would be my pleasure.
Steve Marin
Days Inn Miami Airport North

824 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I had a two day stay at this place. The first night was fine. The second night at 1:15AM someone is trying to get into my room with a card key...only the deadbolt kept them out. I watched as they waited around for 20 minutes before leaving. I couldn't fall back asleep for over an hour.

At 5:45AM I get a call but I hadn't ordered a wakeup call. When I answer, the person informs that I didn't belong in that room. I tell them I'll be down later to straighten it out. I go back to sleep. After a few minutes someone is banging on my door. I ask who it is and get security, open up. I'm frantic and wasn't going to open the door so I ignore the person. Someone is trying to get me to open the door. Why? Are they trying to harm me or rob me? The call could've been amde on one of the convenience phones located in the hallways. A few minutes later, the phone is ringing again asking me what I'm doing in the room. I ask who it is and he replies the front desk. I ask to speak to the manager and he informs me he is the manager and again what am I doing in the room. I ask his name. He refuses to identify himself. He only asks what I'm doing in the room. I tell him that if he's really the manager he can check the computer and see that I am the same person from the night before and that I booked for two nights. I ask his name again and he still refuses to give it to me. He tells me his records show no one is supposed to be in that room. A few minutes later another call. The person refuses to give me their name and wants to know what I'm doing in the room. I tell them I'm calling the police. I am scared and decide to dial 911.
Unfortunately, when I dial 911 I get the front desk (9 is to make outside calls). I tell them I'm trying to call the police and they inform me that they already did. Ten minutes later the police are at my door asking me to open it. When I see the police car in the lot and the two cops in uniform I comply. They too ask me what I'm doing in the room. I show them my reservations. One stays with me while the other takes my ID and goes downstairs. A bit later the cop downstairs talks with the officer in my room to inform him it was all a mistake.

At 7 AM I checked out. They said it was all a mistake. Since I booked this all on-line, I'm not sure what kind of mistake it was...no one at the front desk offered an apology...

The Wyndham hotel chain/Days Inn HQ did nothing for me. I wrote personal letters as well as letters on the Wyndham and Days Inn websites and got nothing from them. They sent me a standard letter stating this was an independently owned franchise and asking me for my name, stay date, and other reservation info. I filled it out and got a reply from them with the exact same standard letter.

The supposed owner of the Days Inn called me wanting to know what happened. Since I was heading to a class I told him I couldn't talk now. He asked for a convenient time to call which I gave him...never heard from him again.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this experience or the Days Inn/Wyndham chain to anyone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — The place
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

We got stuck in Miami and were sad that we chose to stay here for our last night in Miami...it smells yucky, the carpet is worn, the towels feel like sandpaper, and we were given a double bed room when we asked for a queen.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

The room smelled terrible, no air circulation, windows locked, no ventilator which can provide fresh air, telephone was broken, I was overcharged by $200.00 for 1 night(!), breakfast was supposed to be free but they wanted to charge me a fee, their staff came into my bath room while I was in the shower...What else can go wrong?!
This is a terrible place to stay, even for 1 night. I'm not very sensitive but that "hotel" was the worst dump I ever experienced in a civilized world.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

My wife and I traveled to Miami for a quick business meeting and a few days out on the Keys. We stayed at the Days Inn the first night and picked up a car the next day. After our weekend in Key West we stayed there again before catching a flight home.
The staff at the hotel have been first class for the whole trip. Starting with the manager writing to make sure we had everything we needed set up before the trip to the extra effort when my wife lost her cell phone in the parking lot. Pick up at the airport and return on time.
Great job. I would recomend this hotel. If you are looking for fancy rooms and chocolate on your pillow stay away. If you need an inexpensive stop this is the place. 5 min. from the airport. Car rentals 5 min. away. Cold beer in the lounge.
SLB

Stayed January 2009
Delta, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Sure it may be cheap, but again remember the old saying, you get what you pay for! A lesson for me for sure!

Next time I will spring for a more expensive and better placed inn.

I did read the reviews on Trip Advisor and they did seem favourable for this hotel. HOWEVER..... It is NOT a place you wish to remember!!

I arrived from Vancouver on the last flight that night arriving at the hotel at 11 pm. Long line up for the over worked night clerk. After the check it it was off the the room walking the dirty carpeted hallway to the small and smelly room.

Dirty stucco walls, musty smell from the old unserviced air conditioning unit and garbage on the floors in the bathroom.

I then left back to reception to request another room to find it was a full night!

The coffee machine had no carafe, TV only had 50% of the channels working,and the phone was old and hard of hearing.

Old stained carpets, chairs, and warped bathroom door wrapped up the memories.

To their credit, the day reception manager Nino was very helpful and did do his best to provide a listening ear, and did offer a discount.

Repeated phone calls and messages to the hotel owner remain unanswered.

I do hope that this property cleans up their act, as it is close to the airport and does had an inviting pool.

However no breakfast, with very limited options for meals in the area does not bode well for stays here.

Do your homework, and think twice about this place!!

• Liked — transportation to the airport and cruise terminal
  • Disliked — cleanliness, no breakfast, no stairs for elderly, or baggage movement
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chattanooga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

We knew we were in trouble when the security guard excorted us to our room. This is an extremely noisy place, and not just because it is across the street from the Miami airport. The traffic never stops and people are coming and going all night long. The bed squeaked everytime we moved and the place is old. The only good component was the shower and the availability of a shuttle to the Port of Miami. My advice: stay closer to the port.

• Liked — The shower
  • Disliked — THE CONSTANT NOISE
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Miami Airport North? Share your experiences!