“Time Travel Back to the '70's” 3 of 5 stars

Days Inn Miami Airport North
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4767 NW 36th St, Miami Springs, FL 33166   |
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Miami Springs
Palatka, Florida
“Time Travel Back to the '70's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Just me staying this time while I stopped over until the morning and a taxi ride to the Amtrak station to take the Silver Meteor to Palatka Fla.

I liked this hotel because it reminded me of all those country pubs I used to stay in while I traveled around the South Island of New Zealand back in the 1970’s. The difference hear was the Mission style decor and the absence of beer soaked carpet and the smell of food being deep fried cooked in stale beef fat.

Spanish is the language de jour when interacting with the front desk staff and servers at the small cafe` style restaurant - the menu was limited. Tropical Storm Nichol kept me pretty much to the hotel with just a brief excursion down the road a piece to a Subway Sandwich outlet - they're the same all over the world so no surprises there although this particular restaurant was tired and warn.

The front of the hotel is just a few steps back from what appears to be an express way in some kind of industrial area. By contrast the road at the side of the hotel was leafy and looked peaceful and suburban - but too wet to explore.

I spent the evening happily drinking Bud with Southern Comfort chasers until the place started to empty out around 2300hrs. The bar tender was friendly, quick witted and easy to talk with - she grew orchards. The patrons seemed as though they were locals and all appeared to know each other and they played endless games of pool on the coin operated tables and talked the talk of people who have known each other for a long time.
I was entertained by their interaction with one another and the alcohol warmed my soul.

The room I was allocated was ideal for me, but a fussy traveler would have been quite dissatisfied with the over all ambience of the room and the hotel in general. It’s warn and needs refurbishment - if you care about such things. What was probably once white plaster is now aged with a beige patina. The bed linen was clean and fresh and the towels were limp and grayish but clean and recently laundered. Unlike many other past guests at this hotel I failed to detect any insect life at all. The A/C worked just like it should and I spend a comfortable night there. Booking in and checking out were efficient and painless procedures with an absolute minimum of conversation which was matter of fact and to the point.
I was fortunate that I required no assistance from the hotel staff other than to call a taxi for me in the morning to take me to the train station. I'm not really sure how it would have been if I had needed some kind of assistance from any of them because they seemed deep in concentration and looked worried when ever I looked over at them.

In many ways staying at the Days Inn was like visiting some place out side of the United States, perhaps in Mexico or Latin America - something I began to experience shortly after touch down a few days earlier in Los Angeles. It sure ain't like it used to be.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

Bed had some kind of bugs crawling over it, i killed them and decided that i couldn't sleep in that bed anymore. The bathroom was full of the same crawling bugs and some other live insect all over the floor, I went to the front desk and was given another room after maintenance checked it. The new room was much better than the previous but I saw 2 of those flying insects when i turned off the lights and laid down. As i'm writing this review I saw some more on the bed so I called in housekeeping she told me they were flying termites and that they are harmless, she offered another change of room which I refused. This is my first time writing a review.

Room Tip: check reviews
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Ingleside, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

This hotel is amazing: right near the airport; modest but very clean (much appreciated!) and comfortable. The pool looks lovely (our stay was too short to make use of it) and the gardens are a great feature and nicely kept. Your staff is polite and hepful, and the restaurant is just right: I loved the breakfast burrito, and the coffee is very good. A free airport shuttle picks you up, and another free shuttle will drop you at your cruise ship the next morning. I'll recommend you to my friends flying out of/into Miami, including one who is a travel agent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I came off the NCL sky cruise and were looking for a hotel for one night before flying out the next morning. I chose this hotel using the Room Saver coupon booklet. The room was advertised for $49. It had mixed reviews but I figured I couldn't beat that price for an over night stay. Both of the front desk workers were RUDE!!!!! I gave them the coupon and they said it was incorrect. It should have been updated and Would NOT honor the price of the coupon. He said the best he could do for us is $69 plus tax. We agreed. They had NO ELEVATORS. We had to drag our bags up stairs. The maids were cleaning the rooms so we began peaking into them. We saw some with flat screen tvs and large beds so we were thinking okay, this will work. WRONG. We got to our room. It was so small we had to wa

• Stayed May 2011
grand cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

29th April 2011: I hadn't intended on overnighting in Miami but thanks to bad weather, the President flying in and out, lots of disrupted flights, I missed my connection home and found myself at 9.30pm, along with hundreds of other stranded passengers, scrambling - without bags - to find a room near the airport for the night. From the helpful person at the hotel answering the phone, the friendly + reassuring shuttle bus driver who stopped to ask several other stranded passengers at the airport if they were OK (she gave helpful information and kind words to many people who were at their wits' end), to the guy on the front desk who was funny and attentive, I have nothing but compliments for the staff at this hotel. It's not a flashy hotel, it's basic at best but it has five star, amazing service and that means much more than any sparkly new decor to a stranded and stressed out passenger such as myself. Thank you for finding me and my fellow passengers rooms when nobody else would and thank you for treating us like human beings when airport staff were clearly overwhelmed and unable to do so.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2011

if i explain about my stay in days in miami airport north ,it was awesome experience ,soon we steep in at the hotel the staff,s are ver friendly .the are very helpful informative.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

We booked two rooms here to overnight before our cruise. It offers free airport shuttle service as well as free port service, which saved us a good chunk of money. I did look at higher end hotels but since we would only be there for approx 16 hours, including sleep time, I saw no value in spending more money and adding further travel costs for shuttle/taxi. Our room was very clean, beds were comfy and linens very nice. While the main buildings were older, our room had been recently renovated and was in great shape. We slept very soundly and had no noise issues.

Both shuttle drivers were wonderful and worked hard. Breakfast was good and I walked over to the nearby gas station in the morning and had no issues with the neighborhood. It's not Boca Raton, but I didn't feel unsafe at all.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Days Inn Miami Airport North? Share your experiences!