“Sad, Tired & Smelly” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Oakland Park, Florida
“Sad, Tired & Smelly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were greeted by very rude waitress that threw the menus down in a very brightly lit booth. Never asked if we had a reservation. Never asked if this booth was okay. No pleasant small talk that would have been normal even by the hostess at Denny's. In the first booth that we sat, had a glaring light causing all to squint, we noticed that there was an air freshener hanging from the faux Tiffany light fixture. That’s was odd. We did move to a booth that did not have a search light hanging from the ceiling and again notice tucked into the little niche was a wrought iron plant holder and hanging from that was also an air freshener, and upon further looking around the restaurant, all the booths they all had air fresheners hanging from somewhere. There was only one waiter and one busboy. The waiter leaned against the wall, fidgeted with his hands in his pockets, and was not engaging at all! He never tried to up sell or mention what was good or what was the freshest. Busboy grunted a few times but was not helpful and shuffled through the restaurant just going through the motions of his job never enjoying or engaging anyone including the staff.
Ordered the Calamari with cherry peppers, Medium Rare Rib Eye Steak with what i assumed would be a small pat of garlic compound butter and Fries. The Calamari arrived and was the chewiest Calamari I have ever, ever had. It also did not have cherry peppers tossed into the dish….just because you chop up a bell pepper small it does not make it a cherry pepper.... tried to eat the calamari but did not finish.... My steak arrived and was drenched in a white sauce and served with that were also swimming in this unusual white sauce. The steak, from what I could tell had a good char on it from the grill. I tasted the white sauce which was not a compound butter at all but some food purveyors Imitation Garlic "Butter" Sauce of which was at best cheap margarine with garlic powder. Fortunately, most of the sauce was under the fries and not the steak so I was able to eat most of the steak. My friend that was dining with me could not eat any of his.
The busboy came and stood by the table stared at our dishes…grunted …and we asked for a box to take the non-eaten meat home for the dog.
The waiter came by and explained that the only thing made in house was the Crème Brûlée but there was also cheese cake, chocolate cake and something else equally unmemorable and decided on ordering the Crème Brûlée. The offer of coffee or after dinner drinks was not forthcoming. Dessert arrived with no fanfare and was presented rather plainly. The Crème Brûlée seemed like it was going to win us over but alas...although seemingly perfect, the right caramel crispness and what seemed to be the right custard firmness.....this too failed to delight....the custard was hot and if it was any hotter the custard would have broke, the only thing done perfectly was the Caramel Topping!
I will not be returning this restaurant and if you are in the market for purchasing an type of coupon or certificate - be warned that this is not one of Miami/Dade’s better dinning establishments.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Miami, Florida, United States
“Surprisingly Great food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My boyfriend bought a groupon so we decided to try this place out. The food is extremely delicious. Tuna Tartar is a must have, along with the Caribbean Mahi Mahi. Its a kinda hidden gem. The service is a little slow, but then again we went during the week. The waiters are very polite. Without the groupon the food would be kind of expensive, but with Groupon totally worth it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lousy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd try. We wanted to be fair and give it once more since its local.
Even worse. Nobody to greet us, waited 25 min for water in plastic cups, server suggested a bowl of soup but brought a cup. My husbands food came after mine. The whole experience took over two hours. We had to look for our server to ring us up and in the end she swiped the credit card twice and we had to wait to get the charge removed from bank. Dirty place good only for elderly, drunks and karaoke lovers

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Dirty with horrible service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was going on vacation to Miami and saw a Groupon deal. I bought the dinner for four. It was very bad weather so the other couple was not able to meet us that night. When my fiancé and I arrived at he restaurant they were filing a television show. There was no one to greet us at the door or when we walked into the side door. We walked through the bar and waited in the main dining area for ten minutes. The dining area was dirty along with the sticky menus. A server eventually came and seated us. I informed the server that I had a Groupon for four but the other party would not be coming. I called the restaurant when I was aware of the changes and I was told it would not be a problem. I was told that we could get the dinner for four because it was already paid for but they would expect a tip for the original value of the dinner for four. I had no problem with that. After ordering our small plates the server came back and stated the manager would not honor the Groupon. I informed the server of the date and time I called to inform the restaurant of the changes and I was told it was fine as long as the appropriate taxes and tips were paid. The manager came over and started yelling at me and my fiancé stating that she was not giving us two extra dinners. I informed her that I paid for four dinners and called in regards to the changes. She continued to yell and cause scene in front of other tables. I was horrified and offended at her response and got up to leave. She continued to yell about giving us more that what we paid for. Eventually we got into a heated argument in front of the remaining tables. EMBARASSING. Worst experience ever at any restaurant and I cant ever complain about the food because we never got any. LOL

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Urbandale, Iowa
“Good food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were on vacation and signed up for Groupon's for the Miami area before we went. We bought one for Holleman's. Very glad we did. Great value with the Groupon. Loved the potatoes augrautin and garlic butter steak. Service was a bit slow.

• Visited March 2013