“Great Airport & Pre-Cruise Hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Miami International Airport

You added Holiday Inn Miami International Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Miami International Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1111 South Royal Poinciana Boulevard, Miami Springs, FL 33166   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Miami Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Alberta
“Great Airport & Pre-Cruise Hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that needs an overnight layover hotel, or a hotel to base out of for the night before a cruise. The hotel shuttle seems to run about every 30 minutes, previous reviews complain about how long it takes for the shuttles to come but considering it takes 20 minutes to get to and from the hotel in regular traffic it's really quite reasonable.

We arrived at the hotel prior to check in at 3 and had a bit of a wait before our room was ready, there were about 20 other people trying to check in early as well. The hotel staff worked very well through the stress of having all of us waiting in the lobby area and got us all into our rooms BEFORE check in. If you wanted to check your luggage with them (which we did) they took it to a secure luggage room and there were large and clean bathrooms available for freshening up after a long flight.

Our room was great, had the air conditioning pumping as soon as we walked in, nice big and comfortable bed. Great view, CLEAN bathroom, flat screen TV with several channels, complimentary WiFi worked perfectly. We took a taxi to Bayside and it was about $25 each way so yes it is quite a distance from the 'touristy' areas in Miami but it is an airport hotel after all! We went to the hotels rooftop restaurant and they had a great and diverse menu, fabulous service and a view of the Miami skyline like none other. The hotel staff were all very helpful and happy to answer any of our questions.

We took the hotels shuttle to the Port of Miami the next morning and it cost $1 USD each which is VERY reasonable considering what the competition offers. The shuttle took us right to our cruise line's embarkation line and helped us in and out with our luggage. There is a tour company that runs out of the lobby at the hotel called JuMa's something or other, we purchased a shuttle from them for our return trip home as we were flying straight home after our cruise. She was a little late picking us up from the port (booked for 8:30am and she came at 8:45am) so if you don't have 10 or 15 minutes to spare getting off the ship to head to the airport maybe a taxi would be a more reliable option.

I am a travel consultant and would have no problem whatsoever recommending this hotel to my clients who are looking for a great airport hotel with free shuttles from the airport and virtually free shuttles to the Port of Miami. Do not be scared to stay here!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Rio de Janeiro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

My flight from San Francisco to Miami with American Airlines was delayed and I missed my connecting flight to Rio. It was 11:50 pm on March 28 and the next flight would only be the next day at 11:20 pm. So American gave me a voucher for a hotel and the attendant told me they were covering 2 nights as the next flight was so late. I was tired, I just believed her and didn't check my voucher.
After a loooooooong wait for the hotel shuttle I got to the hotel. The restaurant was already closed, there was a sad coffee shop open with an uninterested attendant. My room was on the first floor, it was smelly, the carpet didn't look clean, there was a locked door that lead to another very noisy room, the phone didn't work and Internet was iffy.
It took me a while to fall asleep in that uneasy environment and I kept waking up with loud noises from the other room. I slept in in the morning. Around midday the phone rang, I picked it up but I couldn't hear anything because it was broken!
A few minutes later I hear loud aggressive bangs at my door. It was the manager telling me I had to leave immediately or pay 180 dollars to stay another night as American's voucher was for only one night. I told him that American had made a mistake, there was another couple who also missed the flight that got a 2-nights voucher, and asked if there was anyway that he could help me.
He said a firm NO and gave me 30' to pack up and go, or pay.
I wouldn't give 20 dollars for that room and that kind of service.
I packed up and at the front desk everyone just seemed annoyed with my presence, questions and request for assistance. They even accused me of hanging up my room phone and didn't believe me when I said it was broken. They had zero people skills.
If you can avoid this hotel, go to Element. It's even closer to the airport. The staff is super friendly and helpful. It's brand new and the rooms are spotless and very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami International Airport, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
EliseDeGrande,

Thank you for your feedback. It is unfortunate the mistake of a third party caused your experience with us to be a negative one. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We would like a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

The room we stayed in needs a deep clean. But for one night it was a good choice, can't fault it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
santa fe, nm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I have stayed at four hotels near the Miami airport, Holdiay Inn Express, Courtyard, Comfort Inn and this hotel. The Holiday Inn Miami International Airport is the nicest. The hotel has character and is currently being renovated to enhance it's art deco feel. The restaurant is very good with great views. But the staff is what makes this airport hotel a standout. Thank you Albert, Regina and the lovely lady who is the breakfast hostess.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Reutlingen, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012 via mobile

I stayed the night of 6th March, and arriving from a 10hr flight, it was great that the check-in was quick and hassle free.
The room looks a bit outdated, however it had a massive flatscreen TV and a kingsize bed which was very comfortable and more than I had hoped for.
The Mirador restaurant on the 9th floor has a fantastic menu, and the steak I had was just great.
The breakfast buffet has a wide selection of hot and cold items, and the staff are friendly too.
Checking out the next day, I was asked if I would be picked up, and when I explained that I won't be picked up until 3pm, Regina very kindly offered to extend my check-out time until 2pm. Very much appreciated, thank you!

• Stayed March 2012
Hamburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Very close to the airport. Good if you are taking the shuttle, but if you have a car, you may get lost, as I did. It took me 30 minutes, when it should have been 5. But that's on me. They have a small cafe in the lobby and computer access. Rooms were good enough, although a bit dated. There is a Burger King next door, but not much else. Restaurant on the 9th floor, but didn't try it. The neighborhood is not so great at night; I would not go walking around after dark. OK for a night while waiting for your flight. Front desk people were nice, they recharged my I-Pad for me. And the pool looked fine and inviting.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Miami International Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Gizm098,

Thank you for your stay, and providing feedback. I'm sorry you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations received, but pleased to see the staff was a highlight of your stay. We hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
IHG Care
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

A group of 6 stayed here in February. I can sympathise with the previous reviewer as we were also kept waiting for approx 45 minutes before the shuttle came to collect us, despite the hotel saying that one was due every half an hour. My advice is ring as soon as you're waiting and ask for one to be sent. The hotel is a 5 minute shuttle from the airport & it's $1 to the airport. The check in area has a cafe and internet access as well as an arrivals/departures board linked to the airport. There's a swimming pool on site and a gym with the basic equipment as well as a little shop tucked around the corner. Plenty of free leaflets/local maps about the area are available if you turn right out of the elevators.

The staff were friendly but the rooms are dated and in need of a paint. The beds were comfy and the rooms relatively quiet from the noise of other guests. However, the air-con is a bit noisy though and if you turn it off then the plane engine noise comes thought the vents, so earplugs are advisable if you're a light sleeper.Flat screen TVs and the usual coffee machines etc are available.

We went to the in-house restaurant on the top floor for dinner and were disappointed with the quality of the food. If I put aside the fact a piece of costume jewellery was mixed in with the fries, it was all very tasteless. Breakfast was better but if you have a car then maybe ask the front desk where else there is to eat.

This is a hotel popular with those waiting to depart for/arrived off a cruise. We arrived the evening before our cruise but if I were to go again I think I'd travel down to one of the hotels nearer to the cruise terminal (Hyatt or the like by 17th St, Fort Lauderdale). They have much nicer view and there's more choice of what to do, see & eat. We organised a private Taxi down to the cruise terminal through the hotel.

This hotel is perfect if you need somewhere close to the airport to crash out for a few hours but there are definitely better locations to stay.

If you have found this review helpful please let me know by clicking "yes". Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the flight path
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Holiday Inn Miami International Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Hills86,

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive review.
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us.
I do hope you have a chance to come see us after we renovate.

Thanks

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Miami International Airport? Share your experiences!