“Good News ... Bad News” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Miami Springs
virginia
“Good News ... Bad News”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I have been staying at this this hotel, when needed, for the past eight years. I am amazed that someone wrote that it is a rat hole - they should have seen it then! It is SO MUCH CLEANER, MODERN, and NICER than it used to be. However, I only paid $40-$49 a night. My bill this week was $102.00! Ubsurd! There was a boat show there: normal price is $79.00 (still expensive). However, the rooms are totally renovated. The lobby now has furniture in it. You now get a free continental breakfast. However, the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel is SO SLOW. I always have to wait 40-45 minutes - ridiculous! The hotel clerks can be very nice or very grumpy. The location is good and I love the nearby tasty Latino restaurants. It is what it is: a place to sprend the night before you board a plane or cruise ship.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

As the subject says the place is in really BAD condition, it smells and our room was small and not the cleanest, but if you need to stay only 1 night near the airport, then its perfect! And the price is good too. The unsafe neighbourhood is another thing, walking alone during late hours is not advised!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

In spite of one person from the front desk that was not very gentle, we enjoyed our stay in the Runway Inn, especially for the bed, it was very comfortable. Also the location was very convenient and the free transportation from/to the airport was very good.

I think next time I visit Miami I will stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

We've stayed in La Quinta Inn hotel in Miami Lakes 7 days before we get to this horrible hotel and we thought we wouldn't see a very bad hotel like this in US. When we first arrived, we were afraid of the neighborhood (we live well in Rio de Janeiro, the most violent city in Brazil). The area around the hotel is a little dark and weird. We've parked the car behind the hotel that looks like those crime scene we see on the movies.
We entered the hotel with our havy luggages and there was no elevator... I had to carry both bags all by myself to the 2nd floor by the stairs.. it wasn't easy, since we were arriving from Orlando, driving.
When I opened the door, I regreted so much for not paying at least U$20 more for a good hotel! The toilet was dirty, there was blood on the couch, I saw weird bugs walking around the bed as well as a big spider that I still don't know if it was poisonous. I saw something on the windows glass that looked like a gun shot (see attached pictures).
I tooked our luggages and left the room right away and asked for my money back. The manager didn't even asked me why, probably because he knew the hotel is a mess and only crazy people stay there.
Now i'm trying to get a refund from the travel agency because we left the hotel and went to La Quinta Inn also near the airport. Check the pictures that I'm using to show the travel agency why we couldn't stay there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2011

The free shuttle is not worth it people! Slept for an hour (total), after attempting to fall asleep 12 hours before I had to wake up. The tile floor echos everything! This includes bags and loud speaking spanish. Walls are paper thin. If you enjoy listening to pathetic attempts at sex, other peoples TV's, and conversations. Our TV started buzzing at one point, and that was no longer my way of escaping this place. I am writing this review while still here and my only relief is my ipod (I was still able to hear things going on with headphones in and the volume up). You've all been warned...DO NOT STAY HERE! Would have been safer, more comfortable, and more quiet in the airport.

• Stayed January 2011
Marquette, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

I was rather hesitant about staying at Runway Inn after reading the negative comments online, but chose to give it a try because I was going on a cruise and this was the only place I could find that offered free transport between airport and the cruise terminals and the price was reasonable. I actually stayed two nights, one before the cruise and one after. First night I was on the first floor. No carpet in the rooms but I did not have any issues with loud noise as some claimed. Perhaps because it was a week night and not a weekend. The second night I was on the second floor which was carpeted. Both rooms had individual climate control registers so I was able to control my room temperature. The showers did not leak as some had mentioned. The rooms were very basic with no frills. Both rooms were clean. There was a flat screen t.v. mounted on the wall which was nice. They had hair dryers for guests but I had to ask for one at the desk--it wasn't automatically in the room. The man at the desk, who some said was rude and difficult to deal with, was very pleasant and helpful to me. If you want luxury this isn't the place for you. But it was fine for my needs as a stopover place before and after the cruise. The shuttle picked me up at airport within 15 minutes of phone call. The shuttle took me to the cruise dock and also to return to the airport. It was actually a better experience than I expected after reading the reviews. My only complaint was that I requested transportation back to the hotel after the cruise and even wrote that as a comment in my reservation, and when I called from the cruise terminal for the shuttle, I was told that they do not provide return transportation to the hotel--only transportation TO the terminal. I ended up having to get a taxi which cost $28 (not including tip) to get back to the hotel. I wish they would have told me that ahead of time as the free shuttle was one of the main reasons I chose to stay here. They didn't even tell me when I checked in and I saw the reservation with my request typed in the comment section. So if you want a brief overnight stay somewhere and don't mind a place that doesn't have luxury, I would recommend this place. It is in an industrial area so there isn't much to see around there, though I did find a nice park several blocks away. There is a Peru restaurant across the street which was very good and there is also a Subway and McDonalds if you are willing to walk several blocks down the highway.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

I have no idea who would rate this hotel as excellent, very good or even average. This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, it was truly disgusting. We had one night to spend in Miami before our flight the next morning so we decided to stay somewhere close to the airport, I wish we would have picked a different place. The only positive thing about the hotel is that it had a shuttle.
There was this terrible stuffy smell in our room, I wanted to open the window to get some fresh air, but the window was so dirty and old I didn't even want to touch it. Everything in this hotel was super old, it seemed like we were in someone's great-great-grandmothers house or something like that. We had a super old school tv that even had a very annoying whistling sound when it was on. At 4am our neighbor upstairs got up and we could hear every step he took, it was so loud. Terrible sound proofing, we could also hear everybody that walked by our room (and of course, our room was the first one on the hallway) so we didn't get much sleep at all.
When we were waiting for the shuttle to pick us up the following morning, the manager was yelling at one of the employees which I found very unprofessional since there were several guests in the lobby.
I can't say it enough, this place was terrible, do not stay here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Runway Inn? Share your experiences!