“Runway Inn - great rates, not a bad place.” 4 of 5 stars

Runway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   656 East Drive, Miami Springs, FL 33166   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Miami Springs
Portland, Oregon
“Runway Inn - great rates, not a bad place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I am an airline employee & was stranded at MIA for a few days trying to fly stand-by to the Caribbean. I needed an inexpensive place to sleep and the Runway Inn provided just that.

Pros: Hotel rates are CHEAP! Room was clean. Bed was comfortable & bedding was new. Free wireless internet was a MAJOR plus (it's not free at the airport). The free breakfast in the morning (bagels, coffee, juice, cereal, etc) was decent. I personally liked the hotel staff. They let me keep the same room each time I reappeared at their front desk. On Day 3 of my misery trying to fly standby (I gave up & had to get away), the front desk clerk gave me directions to South Beach using the city bus. He even ran after me with the hotel's business card so I'd have the address "just in case." And if you walk straight out of the hotel, down the alley, take a right at the stop sign...you will find the 'Airport Diner.' This was affordable, the service was excellent, and the food hit the spot. The hotel has a dive bar if you want a beer & to play some pool.

Cons: The neighborhood isn't the greatest, but I wouldn't deem it unsafe. The shower was at an odd angle (well, it is in room 203) and I couldn't turn the water on without being sprayed. No hair dryer. I could hear my neighbor's TV, but I turned on the A/C & this drowned out the noise just fine. And the hotel shuttle failed to pick me up one time from the airport and I paid $14 for a taxi.

Yes this place is low-budget, but I honestly would have expected less for the rate I paid to stay here.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

If your are looking for low cost, with no frills, but reliable transportation to the Miami cruise port, this is hotel is a great value. They picked us up at the airport, and after an overnight stay, transferred us comfortably to the cruise terminal at no extra charge.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I chose this hotel because of the 7-day park and cruise plan. Be warned, the shuttle only takes you to the port. There is no return shuttle. The cab ride from the port back to the hotel was $26. The La Quinta does the same thing and looked a lot nicer from the outside.

Just like a previous reviewer stated, for the money, I didn't expect much, but boy was I disappointed. We were greeted by a nice man at the front desk. I gave him my name, he couldn't find my reservation. So I handed him the confirmation page I had printed out. He gave me the room key and told me how to get there. We get into the room, it looked seemingly nice, super small, but ok. I sat down on the bed, and yep, it looked like fresh make-up stains. It didn't even look like it had been washed. My boyfriend, not tolerating ANY uncleanliness, picked up the linen and took it to the clerk. He told him we wanted CLEAN sheets on the bed. The man got very rude (which my boyfriend was being rude because, call us crazy, but we expect CLEAN linens). He goes and gets the manager, and as we were walking back in with our luggage, points at my boyfriend and says "there he is, that's the guy". In private, the clerk gave us another room and told us to go look at the bed to see if it was ok. That one was ok. We never received an apology.

There is NO air conditioning! The window did open, thank God! The one thing that I didn't expect was the parking lot being FLOODED!! It was raining in Miami and we had went to dinner. When we returned, the lot was full except for 3 spaces, all in the lake that had formed in the parking lot. We had to take our shoes off, roll our pants up, and walk through the 12-inch deep water just to get from the car to the hotel entrance.

The rooms have thin walls and gaps under the doors. We could hear everyone who walked down the hall, and even the couple beside of us talking. The person above us, we could hear every step he and/or she took.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

I've written the whole review and lost it! :(
Again: I've read the reviews here and tended to believe on the best ones, because I believe sometimes people have bad experiences and those don't necessary have to be with the hotel itself. For the price, I wasn't expecting much. But unfortunately, it was worse than I thought.
The one thing that made me chose this hotel was the internal corridors - I can't stand outside corridors, I've had an experience with someone knocking on my door at night, pretty creepy!
At first I was worried by security, but then I realized it's a "family" hotel, with lots of seniors and couples in transit from/ to somewhere.
The hotel is old, which would not be so bad if it was well maintained. The pics here are, at least 10 years old! hehe
The room smelled, but I think it's because of the cleaning product (bleach, maybe).
The bed was confortable, but the linens did have stains (I've turned its side, so I could sleep on the "clean" one).
The bedside sofa had so much stains that I've placed my suitcase there so I didn't have to see that anymore... hehe
It was a little noisy (there was a crying baby in a room near to mine), but I think it's pretty normal. Anyway, we can listen to people arriving/ leaving at night...
But the two thing that disapointed me the most were: the shower (not strong, water was dripping - it took me 30 minutes to wash my hair) and the telephone that didn't make international calls. It seems it was blocked, so I could only call home with a calling card. The front desk man didn't have much info about it.
Besides that, I have to say that the front desk men treated me well, nothing to complain. Helped me when I need, allowed me to take the airport shuttle for free to get the Dolphin mall bus, kept my luggage after check out...
the breakfast surprised me, pretty decent for the price: muffins, croissants, white bread, cream cheese, toaster, cereals, juices, all with different options... I've only had it on the last day and regreted! hehehe It was pretty good!
In the end, I think I'd not stay there again. I'll try maybe Red Roof, that seemed good from the outside. I rather pay U$ 10 more and stay someplace else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Milwaukee, WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Normally I don't write hotel reviews, but my stay at Runway Inn was so terrible I felt I had to warn as many people as possible!
Firstly the night manager is the rudest man I have ever met! I always thought that working in the hospitality industry meant you had to be courteous and patient with clients, but he was exactly the opposite!!
It all started when I called from the airport to request a shuttle. A man with a very thick Spanish accent grumpily answers the phone, saying I had woken him up (it was 11pm??). He then asked me something that I did not understand, so I asked him to repeat himself, at which point he starts shouting at me. Eventually I am able to give him mine and my boyfriend's details, however he says that our reservation has been cancelled. I ask him why and he replies that it is because we had not checked in before 10pm. Now, my flight didn't arrive into Miami until 10.50pm and nowhere on the Runway Inn's website did it say that we had to state our arrival time. If the hotel HAD asked us for our arrival time we would have been happy to have given it, but they did not. I tried telling the man this, and suggesting that they put that on their website, at which point he almost threw a fit and shouted that it was not his problem. Surely if he works for the hotel it IS his problem?! Moreover, this is a hotel very close to an international airport therefore they should be used to having customers arrive through the night! Anyway, after a few minutes of screaming down the phone at me he tells me there is a spare room, but at a slighter higher rate. My boyfriend and I are so exhausted by this time we agree to it and he says the shuttle is on its way....about 20 minutes later it arrives. The driver seemed pleasant though spoke no English (but this was actually a nice respite after being yelled at!)
Upon arriving at the hotel, I find to my dismay that the man on the phone is also the night manager. And so our troubles start again. He again starts shouting at us for checking in after 10pm, and though we try our best to stay calm we end up shouting back at him (which we would never normally do!). He was also very badily organised - he kept losing the piece of paper with my reservation on, and throwing other bits of paper around, and slamming the phone down whenever it rang. Eventually he gets us a room, though we were forced to pay more for it.
During this whole time the couple in front of us (the ones from Alaska on their way to Belize who wrote a review on here not too long ago) were also having difficulties. The man was again extremely rude to them, and told them they did not have a reservation (read the review if you want to know more).
So, leaving two other couples in the lobby to face the night manager's rath, we lugged our heavy suitcases upstairs (there's no elevator) and found that the room isn't too bad. The bed was comfortable, there were plenty of pillows and the duvet seemed fairly clean. But the floor was dirty, the towels tiny and stained and no proper air-con. Other reviews on here talk about the hairs on the bed and although we personally did not find that, I sure wouldn't put it past the hotel! As for the noise levels, it didn't really disturb me but that was probably only because I was so tired so would have slept through anything!
With trepidation we entered the lobby the following morning, and breathed a sigh of relief to see a different (a seemingly much nicer!) man behind the desk.
The breakfast was okay - pretty basic but I didn't expect much else, and the breakfast room was very cramped. We left as soon as we could after eating.

Overall I urge you to please NOT stay here! The room was alright, but the service by that night manager was atrocious! I have honestly never been talked to so rudely in my entire life and the whole incident was very upsetting! If I knew his name I would make a formal complaint about him! He should not be allowed to address people in the manner with which he addressed us or the other hotel guests!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

We had a layover from Alaska to Belize. Seemed like a good place to crash for a nite. We showed up at about midnite, along with 3 other couples. I had a "paid in full" receipt in-hand from the Alaska Air travel partner website - they REFUSED to give us a room! He even called the manager at home. Then, the other three couples were jerked around - they had reservations at a certain rate, but it was increased on the spot - they at least got rooms since they were willing to pay more. Captive audience at midnite, eh?

We left and went to the Days Inn just around the corner - much nicer (didn't smell musty) and Days even gave us a great rate deal on the spot.

Now I still need to complain & try to get my money back. Save yourself the trouble - go somewhere else

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

Hello I am a nurse and my new husband and accoutant in from Ohio, I in my early 30's and he in his late 20's, We arrived in Miami late on sunday night after our beach wedding in Tampa, we had booked a room a SOBE where we normally stay when in Miami however once we saw we would not be getting in town til late we cancelled our first night and said we would wing it, well we looked online and found the Runway Inn and for $49.00 the room was quaint but very well decorated,very clean the front desk guy was very nice and found a room for us with no prior reservation, beds very clean, shower, clean, nice flat screen TV attached to wall, and for the price we sctually decided to stay another day before going to SOBE to stay for ythe rest of our honeymoon

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Runway Inn? Share your experiences!