“Only good thing is proximity to airport” 3 of 5 stars

Runway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   656 East Drive, Miami Springs, FL 33166   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Miami Springs
Chardon Ohio
“Only good thing is proximity to airport”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at the Runway because of the proximity to the airport. It was a very short drive to the car rental return area at the airport. I thought the price was high for the shape the place was in. Nothing was terrible …just shabby or dated. The guy at the front desk was a bit odd, but we checked in quickly. Our room was very basic with a king sized bed and chair. There was an old TV, phone, and an alarm clock. Everything seemed clean in our room, but we did not venture anywhere else in the hotel. We did hear some noise throughout the night, but we slept ok form the most part. The neighborhood is not that good…but again it is close to the airport. I would look at one of the other places in the area before I would come back here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
David P, Guest Relations Manager at Runway Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Bobo185,

We here at the Runway Inn would like to thank you for the review you posted on TripAdvisor. We enjoy receiving feedback from our guests, especially top contributors such as yourself. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to par. Every day, our staff works hard to make sure our guests feel at home. The issues you brought up are very helpful, and I will be sure to notify management of these issues in our next meeting. Again, thank you for taking the time out of your day to leave us the review.

Sincerley

531 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Many cockroaches, there was no hair dryer, very poor facilities, far from South Beach, very unfriendly, the bathroom lacks maintenance, no closet to hang clothes, behind the stands had live cockroaches, poor site.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ISABELBONITA,

Thank you for the review on the Runway Inn. I sincerely apologize that your stay on this occasion was a disappointing one. We pride ourselves on extending the best quality of service to all of our guests and ensuring that they have a most enjoyable stay. We will certainly look into the inconveniences you experienced and take corrective measures to make sure such lapses do not repeat themselves. As you can tell from the other reviews this is not a guest’s typical experience at our hotel. Thank you again and I am sure if given another try we could
exceed your expectations.

Sincerely
Southern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Ironically, the hotel is near the airport but you cannot hear the airplanes which is nice. However, all night all we could hear were doors slamming in rooms and closets as well as every time a toilet flushed anywhere in the hotel you could hear running water. I literally got 20 minutes of sleep. However, the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms were big enough for 1 person at a time. Personally, I would spend the extra money and stay at another hotel. Airport pick up and cruise drop off was nice but waited at least 1 hour for both.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Matthew W,

Thank you for posting a review of the Runway Inn on TripAdvisor. Our guests feedbacks are very important to us. I apologize that your stay with us was not what you had hoped for. I will address the lapses in service you described with the department managers and take corrective measures to ensure these incidents do not repeat themselves. Again, I would like to thank you for review and if given another chance I am sure your stay will be an enjoyable one.

Warmest Regards,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I'm a budget traveler. I needed a place to crash after a Friday night flight, before my Saturday cruise departure. So I booked Runway Inn for a price that seemed like a steal. The reviews worried me, so I went in with low expectations.
We called to confirm our reservation the morning of, especially since we had a late flight coming in. After arriving at the airport, we called for the free shuttle service. This was probably the worst part of the experience, and in the future I would consider paying for a cab to avoid it. The shuttle was a small van that seated about 8 people and was shared with another hotel. The main problem was when 30+ people were calling for the shuttle service simultaneously. Cue battle music as we all fought to get a seat on the shuttle each time it drove past the airport. People at the far end of the airport were passed over and over again. The shuttle driver was understandably stressed out and drove like a mad man (he literally almost hit a pedestrian). Chaos.
Arriving at the Runway late in the evening, there was only one person working the front desk. So we waited a bit, but not an unreasonable length of time considering. The worker was courteous and efficient, though not overly friendly. We were fortunate enough to get a room on the first floor, so we didn't need to contend with the stairs and our luggage.
The room is pretty bare-bones and has some minor maintenance issues (holes where electrical covers have been replaced, rust on bathroom pipes). Unlike other reviewers though, we found our room to be clean and the bed was comfortable enough. However, due to the paper-thin walls, we did not sleep well.
The free Wi-fi was a plus, and the continental breakfast was adequate. The free shuttle to the Port of Miami was wonderful--a completely different experience than the airport shuttle. Considering the cost of a taxi or the price the cruise line would've charged us to get down there, this was a huge perk.
So, if you're looking to save money and can handle some unpleasantness, by all means book a room. Please understand that if you book a hotel, any hotel, at this price point, you will be making some sacrifices. If you have doubts, spend some more money and book elsewhere.

Chelsea, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

i made a reservation months in advance for this hotel. I received confirmation and again a few days before our stay got another email. When we arrived at the hotel around midnight they said they had sold our room to someone else because I wasn't there by 9pm. Nowhere on the site or email did it say i needed to tell them if I would be arriving after 9. So we were stuck without a room in Miami. Finally after an hour of calling around we found one room in a seedy hooker hotel. I have tried to contact management at Runway Inn but I have not received a single reply. We paid over $90 in taxi fees to get there too. Then today I got an email from this hotel asking me to rate them. They are awful.

Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Runway Inn does the job as economical airport hotel does; compared to room rate everything worked fine, it's near the airport, shuttle works fine, rooms are ok, basic breakfast is served in tiny room from paper cups and plates. Miami Springs is light industrieal area where you won't find architectual wonders to sightsee. Surely there are better hotels to stay but be ready to pick your pocket deeper.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Toilet flooded, shower flooded. Roach traps underneath the bed. TV did not work. Night attendant did not anwer our calls. Disconnected our phone. Ignored us when we when down to ask for assistance because he would not answer the phone. Attendant laughed when we said there was lots of water on the bathroom floor. He glared and stared and never asked how he could help us. He was very creepy. He made us feel uncomfortable. Very bad customer service. OH but there wasn't ANY!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Runway Inn? Share your experiences!