“Convenient basic economy airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Runway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   656 East Drive, Miami Springs, FL 33166   |
Ranked #7 of 12 hotels in Miami Springs
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Convenient basic economy airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

We (30s couple) stayed overnight between flights at MIA. The location is VERY close to the airport but in a quiet neighborhood (for Miami). There was roof maintenance going on at the hotel, but the only inconvenience was that 3 or 4 of the parking spaces were not usable. I was also a little worried about the poor lighting in the parking lot but nothing happened to our rental car. The room was clean, no evidence of any creepy crawlies. Cold A/C. Quiet at night. We did not use their transport van to the airport but we did see it. Runway Inn shares the van with Days Inn. Did not use any other services. Not a luxury hotel but exceeded our expectations at only $50/night. Will return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelCusSer, Guest Relations Manager at Runway Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay with us. We do our very best to provide excellent services and we appreciate you taking the time to comment on how your stay was. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will discuss the lighting for the parking lot at the next meeting we have. Again thank you for commenting on your stay and we hope to see you soon.

532 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

We had three rooms. The bath rooms in each were dirty. Mold on the shower tiles, hair in the bath room floor and on the base of the toliet.
The hotel is close to the airport and has shuttle service a plus. But once you are there, no resturant is around.

Room Tip: No view from any room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband and I stay here, on average, three to four times each month. This place is great! Free, reliable airport shuttle, free parking,free internet, safe, comfortable beds, simple breakfast, clean rooms, and helpful staff. This is not a $200 a night hotel. It is older, simple but clean. Yes, there are lots and lots of cats in the courtyard. They appear to be well fed and content. We've been staying in Miami hotels for several years and honestly, you get more for your money here than hotels that cost twice as much.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
HotelCusSer, Guest Relations Manager at Runway Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Runway Inn Airport North.
We do our very best to provide excellent services and we appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I’m glad to hear that you had a wonderful time on your last visit, also that we provide you with such great services that you return a couple of times a month. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our hotels amenities as well. Have a great day and see you soon!

Trinidad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Absolutely disgusting. Cats cats and more cats. Smelly unfriendly and dirty. What are you thinking of even having it on your list. shuttle bus was ok I would have preferred to sleep on that. Taxi drivers with no axe to grind think we are mad to stay there. Over 60 cats yuk.Please the only good comments have to be "rigged'try it for yourself.

Room Tip: go else where it is that simple
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
covina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

I was very disappointed with my stay at the runway Inn this pat week. The pictures on your website were a bit more attractive than the actual hotel. There was hair found in the bathroom behind the door along with an old candy wrapper. When I opened the curtains to see the view I found CATS several of them and they did not appear to be healthy. I was told by the front desk that the owner likes cats. The liking of cats is not a problem but to see the area where they were kept and being fed was disturbing.. I will not blame the seven (7) bites I found on my arms and legs, because it's possible they could have come from mosquitos, sure they did.. So..long story short I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

or motel and you get what you pay for. I stayed here after I carelessly left my purse in a JCP fitting room and had my budget slashed by a bimbo who denied it of course. Anyway, I got the shuttle to the hotel after a fairly short wait. I was pleasantly surprised. I was given a room on the ground floor. It seemed cozy at first glance, but there was much room for improvement where the bathroom was concerned. It was tiny...nothing much you can do about space, but more attention needed to be paid to detail. There was nothing that a scraper, a stiff brush and a large bottle of bleach couldn't improve. Tthere was flat screen TV with several channels, a chair and a small side table, as well as a closet with a safe that did not work. Please check this as the sign at the reception states that everyone will be charged $2 per day for the safe. No sense being forced to pay for what you can't use.

The bed was comfy but I had to turn off the AC as I couldnt regulate it...older type. The water pressure was ok...you will feel better wearing slippers in the shower though. Other than that, no major complaints. Reception could be friendly but at least they are efficient. Apart from the free shuttle, they offer a complimentary continental fare which is coffee, tea, breads, jam/butter, cereal; so for the shuttle, room and breakfast' it isn't too bad. The entire place appeared fairly clean and people of all ages seem to stay there.

The shuttle is shared with a Days Inn nearby and runs regularly and on time, every hour, on the half hour, starting at 5:30am until 11.30 am. After that it is anyone's guess. After that time you can only get it from the hotel to the airport if someone is arriving from the airport and it has to stop there. If no none is coming in from the airport it does not stop after 11:30am unless perhaps if you see it passing and wave it down. That is why at the airport you can have a longer wait for the shuttle in the evening than in the morning as the schedule becomes irregular. If business is slow you can have a longer wait, but if it is brisk from the airport trips are more frequent. If you are at the airport and waiting long, resist the urge to return to the kiosk downstairs to call again, because it can prolong your wait. The shuttle might be passing while you are calling or before you can get back upstairs, and depending on the driver, he may not circle again for you. Heard someone call in to the driver for a pick up. He claimed that he had already circled three times and did not see anyone at the particular location. That was that. He didnt circle again even though he knew someone was there waiting to be picked up.

When waiting to go back to the airport that day, the shuttle didn't stop at the hotel and so I asked and got the explanation. The alternative was a $12 cab or the $2 bus#37. The bus stop is just below the parking lot of the hotel almost at the hotel door. It gets to the airport within 10 mins. It runs every 20-30 mins. The bus came while waiting to flag down the shuttle van and so I took it. When returning to the hotel I just waited for the shuttle. It was not a problem.

Photos posted by barbie are accurate. Directly across the road is a Miami springs hotel which offers rooms from $40 per night...less than Runway but from outside Runway appears cleaner. Next door to that motel is a restaurant that serves Honduran style fare....even though I could decipher the menu I was not sure how it would taste so with my extremely limited budget I decided to forget about eating there. The prices seemed reasonable however.

If I were in a bind again I would not hesitate to stay at Runway if I got the same rate. I would recommend it for travellers on a tight budget since it offers the shuttle service as well as breakfast. This is definitely not for airline staff, business people, honeymooners, best friends etc.etc but you can however use it as a clean enough base to lay your head for a night or two.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
HotelCusSer, Guest Relations Manager at Runway Inn, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay here at the Runway Inn Hotel. We do our very best to provide our guest with excellent service and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. I do apologize for the incident with your purse at the JCP, but glad you still enjoyed your time here at our hotel. As far as the bathroom and the front desk clerk that information has been given to the correct departments. We are glad to hear that you would consider our hotel if you were in the area again.
Once again thank you and I wish you good luck to getting everything back that you lost in your purse. Have a great day!

England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Stayed here because didn't get on a flight and it was late and this was the only one that was available - now I know why, I slept fully clothed because the bed felt like it was full of fleas, Avoid this dump at ALL costs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Runway Inn? Share your experiences!