“First, last and never again, this location ruined OTB for me!” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #25 of 41 Restaurants in Miami Lakes
Cuisines: Mexican
Lakeland, Florida
“First, last and never again, this location ruined OTB for me!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I am not a fan of Mexican food but I do make the exception for On The Border, I 'discovered' them in the DFW area and have continued to visit while in that area. Yesterday (1/8/14) while working in Miami, FL I decided to go to the Miami Lakes location with my daughter who goes to school in the area. The place was 60% empty yet dirty, we sat at the bar, the countertops weren't clean or cleaned, the bartender (mature guy, Jorge I believe) was slow in making himself of assistance in spite of the very light number of customers. we finally got drinks (a bottled beer and a water) and it took forever until he came over to take a food order, which took even longer to be brought over and to top it off was incomplete. No silverware or napkins, a total disgrace. When I called him over and asked, he got offended and said he was waiting for the food to arrive to bring us silverware !? and immediately stated, I'll just get someone else to help you and ignored us the rest of the evening. Some other young guy took care of us and did a nice job, cared and tried to make things better. A manager came by and asked if everything was fine and I gave him a little bit of the rundown, he apologized and moved on.
By the way, the stuffed jalapenos which I love were the worst I have ever had, over battered, burst and burnt. The guacamole which is a staple there, never came, my daughter's fish tacos were bland and she had to get up and walk over to another table to get a salt shaker because there wasn't one given to us.
When the bill finally came it was wrong (of course), we had been charged for food items that never came. The young waiter was diligent and got it handled, they even took my beer off the tab ($5.25)
In conclusion, they ruined it for me, dirty, slow service, nasty bartender with an attitude, incomplete food order, incorrect bill. what else can I say? No wonder their Pembroke Pines location shut down, maybe it was ran by the same franchisee!

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Miami Lakes, Florida
“The worst of 2013”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Unfortunately for us the only thing I liked about my experience was the restaurant location. It is centrally located in the heart of my beautiful town Miami Lakes. The service was bad, at arrival wait time was excessive while there were several empty tables. Once at the dining table several servers passed by us with no word. After I decided to call for attention a walkie-talkie-wearing server came to us. He introduced himself very friendly and took the order. When the order arrived it wasn’t complete and in my opinion too salty. My companions were not very pleased either with the food. The On the Border experience was, with no doubt, the worst restaurant experience I had last year.

Visited November 2013
Hialeah, Florida
“Fun night out for Christmas eve they were not busy . We got great service and the food was good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I would recommend if you are in the mood for Mexican. We had attention from many servers because it was slow but yet they were slow to catch on when my husband needed drink refills. we had to flag someone down for that.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Traverse City
“A very nice mexican restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Although the food was a little spicy for my delicate palate, I must say I enjoyed this restaurant a lot. A big hit for me was the real guacamole, it did not taste frozen or commercially produced.

Visited November 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Excellent TexMex”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I loved OTB when I lived in Texas, but in south Florida it's tough to find good Mexican food or TexMex for that matter. I had tried the OTB in Pembroke Pines (no longer there) on several occasions and it wasn't very good. Whoever is in charge of this one in Miami Lakes has done it right! The food was top notch. Drinks were fabulous. Try the homemade Sangria. Chips were served immediately upon seating and were very fresh. I had a three sauce chicken fajita burrito that was like I remembered in Texas. Everything that came by our table looked great. The service was very attentive and the manager even stopped by to make sure everything was OK. Prices were very reasonable for what you got and much better than most comparable places. I can't wait to go back. And we live about 45 minutes away!

• Visited November 2013