“Go for the steaks, skip the golf” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Golf Courses
Attraction Details
San Francisco
“Go for the steaks, skip the golf”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Don't be fooled like I was. I thought, Don Shula, great steaks, classy and respectable guy the course has to be decent if not great. Wow was I wrong.

I almost paid $90 to play this track and would have demanded a refund had I. I was able to get the resident rate of $67 and even that was too high. On the plus side the greens were in good shape, the starter and bag attendants were all really nice but I can't say much else positive about this place. The range is a joke (I think there's an abandoned building behind it), decrepit cart paths, patchy fairways, poorly maintained / mowed rough and what happened to the nice white sand in miami? It's definitely not in the bunkers at Shula's.

Save yourself the frustration of over paying for an at-best mediocre golf experience and go somewhere else. I gave it 2 stars because of the people and greens but considered less.

Visited January 2013
Kenny F, Manager at Shula's Golf Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Mr. Beef,

Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. I apologize that the golf course did not meet your standards. We have plans for major renovations to the golf course this summer. I'm glad to hear that the service and greens were to your liking. We have experienced some weaker fairways this year due to record amounts of rainfall in teh SOuth Florida area last year. We have increased our fertilizer applications this winter to help alleviate this problem. I hope that your travels take you back to Miami and that you will be able to visit us again after our renovations. Thanks again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
BAY SHORE
17 attraction reviews
“Mediocre Golf at a snail's pace”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The pro shop & clubhouse are fine. The starter's staff is nice. But, groups are put out too closely, and no one bothers to move slow groups along. We quit because the back nine was taking 30 minutes a hole. The driving range is the most miserable range I have ever seen. The course would be ok if they made any effort to keep play moving, but they don't. For this reason, I would recommend against playing here. The area is also seedy.

Room Tip: I am reviewing the golf course; I did not stay at the hotel.
Kenny F, Manager at Shula's Golf Club, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
WordlyTraveler44 - Thank you for your review of Shula's Golf Club. While pace of play is an ongoing challenge for many golf courses, especially on busy days, it is a key component to a guest's experience. I apologize if the pace was too slow for you and that a ranger did not speak to your group. I recognize that the back nine is harder than the front nine and can play slower at times. Our rangers have been trained to monitor pace of play and work on groups that appear to be out of position on the golf course. I am not sure if the back nine had cart restrictions on the day you played. I know that cart path only resrtictions will slow down pace of play. We schedule groups to go out at 7 and 8 minute intervals. We will continue to monitor pace of play, search for ways to improve pace on busier than normal days, and re-train staff on how to handle pace of play. Thanks again for your feedback.
BAY SHORE
17 attraction reviews
“Worst Pace of Play in America”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

Shula's is a decent course with a back nine distinctly more challenging than the front nine. It also features the most ratty driving range in the US. As a twosome, we expected to wait, but still played the front nine in a respectable 2 hrs. & 5 min. Then we made the turn, and it was like a death march......30 minutes to play hole 10, 30 minutes to play 11, 30 minutes to play hole 12. Calls to the ranger could not speed slow groups up; they wanted their money's worth. Starter must send groups off the back & it ruins pace of play for everyone. We quit after 14 holes and will never play at Shula,s again. They make ZERO effort to keep groups moving; so, it just isn't any fun. Golf is a game; games are supposed to be fun.

Visited March 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
12 attraction reviews
“Interesting and Enjoyable Layout, Tricky Water Hazards, Fairly Well Maintained”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

This course is interesting and enjoyable for the average golfer. It starts off fairly non-threatening, but the back nine is tricky with water hazards and some narrow fairways. Surroundings are scenic. It is not meticulously kept (some fairways and rough have rough patches, greens are mostly pretty good), but generally conditions are acceptable. Both the hotel and course are a bit time-worn; it could be a gem if maintenance and landscaping is lavished on it. We wanted a drink at the clubhouse but the bar/restaurant was closed, and we had to go to the hotel dining room instead. I would play it again.

Visited February 2012
London, United Kingdom
75 attraction reviews
“Best Steak Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

This rates among the best steak houses that I have ever been to, and being a steak lover, I have been to plenty.
The service is wonderful and you have a great selection of steaks that are cooked to perfection.
Don't miss this steakhouse, it is first class

Visited January 2012