“Great Improvements!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
St. CLoud, FL
“Great Improvements!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

The New management that took over in July has made great strides in getting this hotel clean and presentable. I stay for business reasons in Miami and recently switched hotels back to the La Quinta due to price concerns at my prior hotel. The rooms have been cleaned and it looks as though they have recarpeted because in the past the floors were dirty and dingy, not so anymore. The manager of the hotel Natalie has brought in some very friendy staff and you can definitely feel the difference that she has made as the manager. I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a value type hotel, the breakfast has a little of everything. All in all a good place to stay for the money.

• Liked — the free wireless access in every room.
  • Disliked — lack of a restaurant/ bar
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

I was in Miami for a cruise and I drove in the night before. I was going to stay down the street at Don Shula's Golf Club, but they sold out. So down the street was this seemingly nice looking La Quinta. Talk about a facade.

The room was mildewy and the carpet was sticky with stains all over it. It was also really hard with no padding. The bed was extremely thin and uncomfortable, and the pillows were so bad, that I wanted to go BUY my own at a local Wal Mart. The wireless internet service didn't work either. Then there was the lovely toilet. It was running almost nonstop. In fact if it ran nonstop that would have been fine, because it becomes white noise. But it would run for 55 seconds of each minute and then start up again. We also had the room 3 feet in front of the elevator and there were some real low lifes staying there that came in and out. I honestly was miserable there. Just a horrible experience. It wasn't even cheap - $150. Unreal. I could do better for $40. I now have learned to stick with a certain chain that I belong to where I know what I am getting all over the country.

• Liked — The outside facade.
  • Disliked — The entire room.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Very positively impressed with this hotel . Reasonable. Good front desk service. Good room with microwave and fridge. Pleasant continental breakfast . Nice location. A very good deal for the price. It is not close to the typical beach areas or tourist attractions but if you are willing to drive 15 or 20 minutes and return to a nice hotel in a calm quaint nice area, it is well worth it.
I would certainly go back to this hotel.
Originally I chose La Quinta airport East wher we staid one night
on our way back to our country, and it was a very negative experience compared to this hotel which was really a very good stay.
This hotels are very much selfservice, which is OK with us but do consider it if you want to be pampered very much.

• Liked — pleasant room, good front desk service
  • Disliked — breakfast till 9 AM
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2006

But then, did not pay the great price too, so why complain? I think for the time we went, for the money we spent, the pace was pretty good. The breakfast was good, the concierge was good, stay was pleasant, chek-in and checkout were easy. If you are going to Miami to stay in the hotel, probably you should go elsewhere, but if you are looking for a night's sleep with an occasional meal around the area, this is a good place to be.

• Stayed March 2006
Tallahassee, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

I'm waffling between terrible and okay, but some problems. Considering the bed was sooooo uncomfortable, I have to go with terrible, since the bed is such an important part of a hotel.

We requested a smoking room. We don't smoke in our house so I'm used to these rooms smelling kinda bad, but this room was way beyond that. I wasn't able to get used to the smell the whole time we were there. It needed some major airing out and disinfectant or something. Only one ashtray was provided but I was able to request an extra one from the cleaning staff.

The TV reception was extremely poor on most of the channels. A few came in okay. HBO was available as well as movies on demand. The movies were priced between $10 and $11.

The bathroom was huge but the space was wasted. It felt like it may have been designed for wheelchairs. There was no bathtub, just a shower with a little strip of wood to keep the water from running onto the floor. There was a sample bottle of shampoo and a couple soaps provided.

There was a coffee maker, hairdryer and iron available.

The bed was so old, or thin, that you could feel the springs. The bed frame didn't fit it well. I couldn't get in or out of the bed without banging my leg on the frame. We had a king size bed and we're given three very flat well-used pillows. I had to put two together, and I never use two pillows normally.

The pool appeared to be open but there bugs and other "things" floating in it. The deck chairs had a nice black mold look to them.

On the plus side, the area of the lobby for the continental breakfast was clean, well-lit and inviting. They offered cereal, toast, fruit and muffins. Nothing to get excited about, but it was okay. The front desk staff did their job but were not extra helpful when asked questions about transportation. The cleaning lady who came to our room was wonderful. I had a couple of requests and she was extremely helpful and nice.

This hotel is about 10 miles from the airport, but because of heavy traffic, it can be a $50 taxi fare during rush hour. My taxi at 6 in the morning, was only $40.

I could see other hotels from this place, so if I ever have to go back here again, I'll be checking them out.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes? Share your experiences!