“Thank you!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Miami Lakes
Tampa
“Thank you!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We came to Miami for our family vacation and wanted so bad to stay on the beach. Well, we stay at the BW on the beach for only one night, it was the worse experience every! I contacted the Don Shula and asked for a room for the rest of our vacation and without question they made it happen! It was the best stay I've every had. The staff and the hotel was great!!! I travel alot for work and when I'm in the Miami area, I will always stay at the Don Shula! See you next year when we return!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will be sure to share your comments with our team and we hope to have you as our guest again real soon.

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Online, the hotel looks great, in person, not so much. Upon arrival, hotel looked dated, but not bad. The room was horrible. The carpet was filthy, stains everywhere. The bathroom was covered in body hair, as were the sheets on the bed. We also had the room next door and it was equally as dirty. In addition to the hair on the sheets in the first room, there were also several stains. It is by far the most disgusting place I have ever seen. We immediately left the room and told the front desk staff we were leaving. The only upside: the hotel staff tried to make things right by offering us the presidential suite. After our experience with the first two rooms, we politely declined and found another hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I apologize if I spelled your name wrong, you made my vacation.

I was visiting for a friend's wedding. I arrived pretty late to the hotel and came across this wonderful girl at the desk. After informing her this was the first time I'd been on vacation with my boyfriend, she was patient as I debated what type of room I wanted for 10 minutes and helped us find a delightful room with a great view and then suggested places that we might like to go, like South Beach, shopping, etc. The room was cute and I liked that our back door led right into the lawn and fountain.

The only minor things that I had a glitch with were that the shower curtain wasn't wide enough, so water splashed into the the bathroom and that the bath tub drained slowly so you sort of marinated in water as you showered.

I do fair warn that it's sort of in a residential area. I had a late night craving and there is a Johnny Rockets near by, but it was swarming with teenage children as was the shopping center's courtyard.

I would definitely go back to stay in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
St Croix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

After a long drive there, he made our check-in easy, made us feel special, and accomodated us to the best of his abilities. In the morning, the maintenance man (name escapes me) came to our rescue immediately as we could not get the sliding glass door open. Loved the clean, crisp bedding! Beautiful golf course view. Loved the location also!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

The courtesy and helpfulness of the staff was EXCELLENT, especially front desk, who found a way to take care of the simplest requests with a smile. Beautiful and serene setting with a.m. yoga, but my heart fell when I entered my room because of filthy carpeting in the middle of the floor and dressing area. Very clean and comfortable bed, but no room service or microwave/fridge in room. Shuttle service was prompt and courteous. Overall a good stay--7 out of 10.

• Stayed March 2010
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I was in the area on vacation for two reasons. To celebrate my birthday and to attend the 5th Annual Jazz in the Gardens event. Shula's Hotel was one of the host hotels for the event and even though it booked pretty quickly, thanks to the Nailah Travel Agency, I was able to get a room at the last minute. The planners of this area get a big virtual high five from me! The hotel is nestled inside of a community of apartments/condos/restaurants and shops of all kinds. Once I checked in, due to the beautiful weather, I was able to walk around the community, needed some shoes bought some at Nia Mode, needed to get my toes done got 'em done at the nail shop in that same strip mall. Needed something to eat while walking, Johnny Rockets was one of the several different eateries. And the manager even gave me a free birthday chocolate shake! There are major grocery stores and banks in walking distance. You don't need a car to stay here! There is a shared ride shuttle bus that will bring you from the airport for a low price of $21 each way. But what started everything off was my first contact with Shula's, I talked to Mrs jean Black, customer service rep extraordinaire! Love you Ms Jean! The rest of my weekend was shared with other ladies (10 of us total) and we had a BLAST!!! I'll be back Shula's!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I am familiar with the Miami Lakes area, having lived there for eleven years in the 80s and 90s. I consider it to be a nice oasis in the Miami area, very walkable and pleasant.

So - I was looking forward to my stay at Shulas Hotel (the one on Main St - not at the golf course) on my most recent business trip to Miami.

The good:
The staff at this hotel is friendly and service-oriented, and not with a plastic smile and the hand waiting for the tip, either. I found every person I dealt with on the staff to be courteous and genuinely helpful.

The location is terrific. Miami Lakes offers shopping and restaurants within walking distance in an area that is both beautiful and relatively safe.

The bed was comfy and my room was immaculately clean when I checked in and each and every day of my 4-day stay.

The bad:

The hotel is a little tired and in need of some overall updates. Some of the furniture in my room was worn and the decor is dated.

There is limited elevator access to the upper floors - an real headache if you are travelling with a roller bag.

The internet was not working while I was there!!! As a technology professional travelling on business, hotel internet is essential to my business travel. This was not communicated when I checked in - I spent a lot of time on the phone with the internet "help desk" before being told that there was a "temporary outage" at the hotel. And then the next morning when I asked at the front desk, I was told that the internet would be out for several weeks. The hotel did begin offering a shuttle to the other Shula's location for internet access in the lobby during my stay.

They seemed short-handed at times. The morning I checked out of the hotel, the person working behind the front desk did not know how to check people out. Another morning, when I needed to get my car from the valet, the single person working at the front desk was checking people out and acting as the valet. In general, I think cross-training of the staff is a good thing, but it should not mean that the hotel does not have enough staff to do the job.

Overall - the reason I would go back to this hotel would be the staff and their service-oriented attitude. It has the potential to be a really nice hotel, but it's not quite there right now.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience and we do appreciate your comments. We will be sure to share your kind words about our team with them. We are very proud of what they do. We do apologize for some of the inconveniences you encountered. We have also reviewed with our team and have taken measures to address them. We hope that the remainder of your stay meet or exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for staying with us and for your posting.

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!