“Happy Birthday to Me!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6842 Main Street, Miami Lakes, FL 33014   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Atlanta
“Happy Birthday to Me!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I was in the area on vacation for two reasons. To celebrate my birthday and to attend the 5th Annual Jazz in the Gardens event. Shula's Hotel was one of the host hotels for the event and even though it booked pretty quickly, thanks to the Nailah Travel Agency, I was able to get a room at the last minute. The planners of this area get a big virtual high five from me! The hotel is nestled inside of a community of apartments/condos/restaurants and shops of all kinds. Once I checked in, due to the beautiful weather, I was able to walk around the community, needed some shoes bought some at Nia Mode, needed to get my toes done got 'em done at the nail shop in that same strip mall. Needed something to eat while walking, Johnny Rockets was one of the several different eateries. And the manager even gave me a free birthday chocolate shake! There are major grocery stores and banks in walking distance. You don't need a car to stay here! There is a shared ride shuttle bus that will bring you from the airport for a low price of $21 each way. But what started everything off was my first contact with Shula's, I talked to Mrs jean Black, customer service rep extraordinaire! Love you Ms Jean! The rest of my weekend was shared with other ladies (10 of us total) and we had a BLAST!!! I'll be back Shula's!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Fernandina Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I am familiar with the Miami Lakes area, having lived there for eleven years in the 80s and 90s. I consider it to be a nice oasis in the Miami area, very walkable and pleasant.

So - I was looking forward to my stay at Shulas Hotel (the one on Main St - not at the golf course) on my most recent business trip to Miami.

The good:
The staff at this hotel is friendly and service-oriented, and not with a plastic smile and the hand waiting for the tip, either. I found every person I dealt with on the staff to be courteous and genuinely helpful.

The location is terrific. Miami Lakes offers shopping and restaurants within walking distance in an area that is both beautiful and relatively safe.

The bed was comfy and my room was immaculately clean when I checked in and each and every day of my 4-day stay.

The bad:

The hotel is a little tired and in need of some overall updates. Some of the furniture in my room was worn and the decor is dated.

There is limited elevator access to the upper floors - an real headache if you are travelling with a roller bag.

The internet was not working while I was there!!! As a technology professional travelling on business, hotel internet is essential to my business travel. This was not communicated when I checked in - I spent a lot of time on the phone with the internet "help desk" before being told that there was a "temporary outage" at the hotel. And then the next morning when I asked at the front desk, I was told that the internet would be out for several weeks. The hotel did begin offering a shuttle to the other Shula's location for internet access in the lobby during my stay.

They seemed short-handed at times. The morning I checked out of the hotel, the person working behind the front desk did not know how to check people out. Another morning, when I needed to get my car from the valet, the single person working at the front desk was checking people out and acting as the valet. In general, I think cross-training of the staff is a good thing, but it should not mean that the hotel does not have enough staff to do the job.

Overall - the reason I would go back to this hotel would be the staff and their service-oriented attitude. It has the potential to be a really nice hotel, but it's not quite there right now.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience and we do appreciate your comments. We will be sure to share your kind words about our team with them. We are very proud of what they do. We do apologize for some of the inconveniences you encountered. We have also reviewed with our team and have taken measures to address them. We hope that the remainder of your stay meet or exceeded your expectations. Thank you again for staying with us and for your posting.
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Well priced hotel, decently clean but not spotless. Cold showers as some others have noted on here. Also the bathroom lighting is strange as you can't turn on only the light in the tub/toilet area so must disturb everyone in the room at night...or go in the dark! Only provided one coffee (each cup made individually) for two of us. Hot tub out of order. The wireless was down thw whole time during out two day stay...front desk staff sent us to the "business center" ..basically a closet with a compoter and a multipurpose printer...and a long line of people waiting to use it. I went to the front desk to ask where the spa was..it is a block and a half away so I walked over but found it closed! I mentioned that fact to the girl at the front desk after walking back and she said it must be closed for renovations...NOT. The hours on the spa door clearly stated that they are closed on Mondays (yup, this was on a Monday) The stay there included a 25 dollar gioft certificate for the steak house...which was given to us after checking in...except our stay was Sunday and Monday...and you guessed it the restaurant is closed Sunday and Monday. We wnet to the front desk who said there was nothing they could do for us (said they couldn't give us any thing for the restaurant that was open right across from the desk) My husband was upset after all our frustrations and the front desk actually escalated it. However...Dave G from the sports event department overheard and took great care of us....giving us the 25.00 dollar diacount at the restaurant in the hotel! Dave is a fabulous guy and certainly treated us very well...cudos!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Miami Lakes hotels

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

We stayed at the Shula's hotel for 4 nights when visiting Miami as we found a good rate online and wanted to stay away from the tourist areas in the city. It seemed to be in a nice setting and the room was quite spacious although a bit dated. We were told that our room did not include breakfast and there were no upgrades available at the time. So we had to pay for the buffet breakfast which was just ok for the price. However, there was a nice bakery adjoining the hotel which had some good pastries and also Starbucks coffee/drinks. We also went over to the Aveda Spa on the property during our stay and it was pretty good! Overall, the hotel was fairly convenient for our stay, reasonably priced and only a short drive to most of Miami's attractions.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 9, 2010
Thank you Avidtraveler2 for sharing your experience. We are an oasis for those looking to stay out of the tourist areas of the city but still just a short drive away from them. Glad you were able to visit our spa and bakery during your stay. They are a welcomed treat for many of our guests. Thanks again. Stay warm up in Cleveland and we hope to have you back as our guest real soon.
Cayman Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed at Shula's in January 2010 for 2 nights. Location - very good, easy to get to from the airport, plenty of parking, nice quiet residential area, main street was an enjoyable walk. Room - fine, plenty of room, needs to be updated sometime soon. Hotel - friendly and helpful staff. We ate in Shula's 2 which is a sports bar, food was pretty good, staff excellent, our waiter - Robert was very good. We tried the little Italian restaurant on Main Street - very average, wouldn't go back. Downsides - no room serivce, no fridge in room. Overall we would be happy to go and would recommend to our friends.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Thank you CaymanBishop for posting your comments regarding your stay with us. We appreciate the nice comments about our staff and property and will be sure to share them al our team. We will also extend a special thank you to Robert for providing you with Raving Fan Service. We do hope to see you back again real soon.
Maidstone
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We booked a signature room and when we got there we were a bit disappointed as we had asked for one with a pool view. What we got was a good sized room but overlooking the car park!!
Went downstairs for something to eat and whilst going past reception asked if any pool rooms were available. Reply "No, we are booked all weekend".
Following morning, when I was a bit more with it, I asked again and was told that there were plenty available and we had a choice of several rooms.
We changed rooms and although we now had 2 double beds we also had a balcony which we didn't have before. This made it much better for the early evenings when we could sit out on the balcony with a drink and relax for a while before going to get some dinner.
We were not informed that at weekends the inclusive breakfast room which comes with the Signature room rate was not available and we had to eat in the main area. This was OK but if you wanted anything hot you had to pay for it. Admittedly, it was only $4.00 for as much as you wanted so it wasn't too bad. it might sound like a gripe but in fact this was better than the breakfast area on the Monday as that only had a few pastries available.

The pool area at the hotel is really poor. For such a great layout to the whole place the pool area is very bleak. The actual pool is really small and the area surrounding it is just plain concrete.

What the website and the staff don't tell you is that although Shula's 2 is on site that the main Shula's restaurant (the famous one) is not and it is a couple of miles away at the golf course. This came as a bit of a shock to us as we wanted to go there for a good meal and to give me the chance to look at all the Miami Dolphins memorabilia.

Although this was tempered by the surrounding area which had some good restaurants and places to go.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a place away from the main tourist area of Miami but not to be fooled by their website description of the place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 8, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to hearing from our guests and value the information they provide. We will share your comments with our team as we are always looking to continuously improve. We apologize if you encountered any inconveniences and we look forward to your next visit.

Happy New Year from the Shula Team
Kutztown, Pennsylvania
1,584 reviews 1,584 reviews
1,502 helpful votes 1,502 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We liked this place so much that we returned around Xmas this year for 2 lovely nights. We stayed in a Signature Room for a senior rate of $103/ night. This area has a private entrance and a lovely breakfast room with a nice breakfast, newspapers, internet, etc. On the day the breakfast room was closed, a nice breakfast buffet was included in the price. The beds are some of the more comfortable we have slept in and the view from the balcony is lovely. This is a well run place with caring staff and hope to return sometime soon.

Another plus is the fact that the restaurant, Shula 2, has some very good, reasonably priced platters for less than $10-a real bargain.

We do feel they could update some of the furniture in the rooms, get flat screen TVs, DVD players and microwaves in the rooms.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, December 30, 2009
Thank you for making Shula's part of your holiday plans and for sharing your experience. We will be sure to share your kind words with our staff.

Happy New Year from the Team at Shula's

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!