“Great rooms & service! Some common areas need to upated” 4 of 5 stars

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6842 Main Street, Miami Lakes, FL 33014   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Tampa, Florida
“Great rooms & service! Some common areas need to upated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I planned a small meeting here for 8 people. Some drove in from other parts of Florida and some flew in (mostly to Ft Lauderdale instead of Miami because it's cheaper and rented a car). Miami Lakes if very convenient for people driving in though, because you don't have to go into "the city" to get there. It's only a few minutes off I-75. Miami Lakes is a cute place and this hotel is in the heart of their little downtown with shops & restaurants. The parking is plentiful and self parking is free! The lobby area is nice. It's one of those hotels with multiple buildings so finding your room is a little odd, but the walk wasn't too bad. The common areas, like the hallways, are VERY outdated. In fact I was a little scared as I was walking to my room that it was going to be a dump from the looks of the hallway, doors, etc. However, my room was fantastic! It's very modern and has hard wood floors. It had a beautiful headboard and nice amenities. Three complaints: no makeup mirror, not enough outlets by the bed for electronics, & my room phone didn't work. The meeting space was very nice though. What really stands out is the service. From the front desk to the van driver, to the banquet servers, everyone was very nice and professional. Let me tell you....in South Florida that is a rarity NOT the norm!!!!! They have a little restaurant on site by the original Don Shula's steakhouse is down the road a little at their former property, which is now a Hotel Indigo....as is the golf course. They do have a complimentary shuttle that will run you over there though.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My room, 2203, smelled terrrible. Musty and mouldy. I didn't realize how bad until I returned home. All my clothing had to be washed several times to get rid of the mouldy smell. My suitcase fumigated! I also had severe allergies (unusual), which continued a few days after I returned home.

Gilbert, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my third time staying at this hotel in Miami. I'm forced to stay here due to company events. Each time it proves to be even more disappointing than previous stays. I'm scheduled to attend another event in Miami in June of this year but have notified my company that I will pay for my own hotel elsewhere...yes, it's that bad. Poor customer service from the staff, dirty rooms, broken blinds, cold wood floors, and the fitness center is detached and across the street from the hotel.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Adriana T, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Susie8842 – Thank you for your comments and please accept our apologies for falling short of your expectations during your visits to our property. Our team strives to create memorable experiences for all of our guests, and we regret not being able to do so for you. We also want to thank you for your time giving us the opportunity to discuss your experience in more detail. We hope you reconsider giving our team at Shula’s another chance to be of service.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

While attending 4 training events located in Miami Lakes, I had the opportunity to stay at Shula's Hotel. Each week I stayed the hotel staff made my visit uneventful and comfortable. One staff member in particular named Vicky went out of her way to make sure that all my needs were being met and gave me a number of suggestions for dinning and entertainment. Thank you Vicky!!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Adriana T, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Bob D – We are happy to have been your hotel of choice during your business trips to Miami Lakes. We sincerely appreciate you recognizing Vicky’s level of service. Creating raving fans is our priority, and Vicky definitely represents what Shula’s is all about. We have shared your feedback with her, and we are very grateful for your comments. We hope that your future travels bring you back to Shula’s soon.

Ocala, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Having worked for a resort hotel in the past, I was disappointed with the service or should I say the non-service that was provided. I had to call the desk to ask why our room had not been made-up at 4:00 in the afternoon. When they finally got around to making the beds, that was pretty much all they did. Beside leaving us fresh towels, they didn't leave us clean glasses and didn't take all the trash.

When we were in the hospitality suite provided to our group, there was no way to call the bar or front desk. We had wanted to order some drinks but instead, I had to go the bar and carry the drinks back upstairs myself.

Service in the bar was not great - when I went to order the bartender said she would be right back and then proceeded to talk to one of the waiters and check on a table to see if they wanted more drinks instead of taking my order.

After our event was over on Saturday night, we went back to the hotel to have a few drinks in the bar only to find it had closed at midnight although the sign said they closed at 1:00 am.

There is also no other restaurants around the hotel to get breakfast - eat at the hotel or get in the car.

I would definitely say the service was less than expected for a resort hotel. The hotel could do with a facelift - rooms were drab.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the patio/pool area.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Bunny W – Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We apologize for falling short of your expectations. Our team strives to provide the best service, and we regret not having been able to deliver this during your stay. We have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and Food & Beverage teams, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.We apologize for the inconvenience with the phone line in your hospitality suite, and we have followed up with our Engineering team to ensure this item is addressed.

Your feedback is valuable to us as it helps us identify and address areas of improvement. We hope that you still enjoyed your even,t and that you can give us another opportunity to turn this experience around.

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This a good located hotel. Its 30 minutes from most important malls in Miami, 30 mins from Miami international airport, 30 mins from Downtown Miami and the Florida international university. Rooms are average, cleanliness good and the prices average too.

Room Tip: At the end of the building
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
José Odalis O – The Shula’s team sends you greetings from our Miami Lakes paradise to yours in Dominican Republic. We thank you for your comments and hope that our ideal location was convenient to your activities in South Florida. We look forward to your next visit.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

hotel is dated --facilities and service are pretty average. Its expensive for what you get --we chose to eat in the mall of which hotel is part. We played golf --if you're not you can get better for the money

Room Tip: probably overlooking pool
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
steven b – We appreciate your feedback, and we thank you for sharing. Our team regrets not being able to exceed your expectations. We have several dining options right at our doorsteps, and we are glad you were able to find a restaurant choice of your preference. We hope that you enjoyed your golf experience at our Senator Course at Shula’s.

Thank you for your feedback and safe travels,

Adriana

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!