“Raving Review” 4 of 5 stars

Minnesota City, Minnesota
“Raving Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

To whom it may concern:

I arrived at your hotel on Sunday August 17th late evening and had the honor of meeting Donna at the front, what a blessing it was to have someone who's heart is to meet the customers need. Donna was all that and more.

I really thought there are only a few nice people at one hotel. At your hotel here in Miami Lakes is awesome. I had a situation that came up on August 20th and Carolyn, Vicky and Maraisis came to my rescue. They were all so polite and eager to help me get my food warmed up. What I realized is if they are willing to go the extra mile for me I'm willing to do a write up to tell the world to stay at Shula's in Miami they are customer driven.

Janet

Room Tip: Look at reviews because this place rocks.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at this hotel for a week. Overall the hotel is nice and the location is superb.
However, after we checked out and left Miami, we incurred a charge to our card from the Don Shula Hotel thats we did not authorize. Upon calling the front desk and speaking to the front desk manager, I was informed that the room we stayed in had a slight smell of cigarette smoke and that we were being charged an additional $250 for the cleaning of the room. We explained to the gentleman that we did NOT smoke in the room, and were rarely ever even there other than to shower and sleep.
He then told me that he refused to refund the money to my account and asked 'You see how I can't just take your word for it?' and implied that I was being dishonest (which obviously I wasn't or I wouldn't be wasting my time filing police reports and dispute paperwork through my bank) .
I dont know how many other people Theyve done this to, but it's out right theft.
I wouldn't ever give them any credit or debit card information to hold on file again. And after the way they accused me of lying, I wouldn't ever stay there or recommend anyone to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 1 week ago
ArkOf A - Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We apologize for making you feel that the action we took regarding the smoking fee were unjust. The hotel is a non-smoking property and our policies are clearly displayed in the rooms along with the cleaning fee should a guest choose to smoke in the room. The fee is not something we look forward to collecting but when evidence of smoking is present, we must enforce our policy and make sure we properly eliminate any evidence of smoking in the room. The fee assessed is the associated costs of the smoke eradication efforts. We thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and allowing us an opportunity to clarify our policy.

Safe travels

Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The property itself is beautiful. The rooms leave a lot to be desired! First of all there is not ONE comfrotable chair to sit in - we had 1 like straight-backed dining room chair and 1 chair for the computer/desk! Not comfortable! There were 2 of us staying and this meant someone had to just isit on the bed! Not very relaxing.

Secondly, the bottom sheet on 1 of our beds DID NOT FIT that box prings! In the middle of the night it completely came OFF! Not comfortable or condusive to good sleep!

No room service avaiable - not even a menu in the room for Shu's II so one could order in advance and even go down to pick it up!

For a hotel that is supposedly this upscale, I don't think this is what most people expect. I usually stay at Marriott - Residence Inns are a favorite, but Renaissance Hotels are superior! Shula's is just a sexpensive as the Renaissance but not even close in amenities! Great location but not what I expected.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Nanu45 - We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with us. So sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We apologize if this caused you any inconveniences and hope the remainder of your stay in Miami Lakes went well. Our team strives to provide our guests with great experiences and regret not being able to exceed your expectations. We are grateful to you for bringing this to our attention so our team has an opportunity to address the items you mentioned.

Thank you again for sharing and we wish you safe travels.

California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I could not get a solid nights sleep here because of the air conditioning. It malfunctioned one night. The next night the replacement unit sounded like a jet engine, turning on and off all night. You should not underestimate just how disruptive this can be. Although the location is nice, I stay at a hotel to sleep and that just didn't happen here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
L H - Thank you for sharing this with us. We are disappointed to hear about this experience and are regretful that we did not remedy the air conditioning to your expectation. Our engineering team will review their protocols regarding air conditioning calls in our guestrooms. We agree that the sleep experience is an important element in a great hotel stay and we apologize for not delivering that to you. We hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your experience enough to allow us another opportunity to turn this experience around.

Thank you again for sharing and we wish you safe travels.

Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel property is old, but they updated most aspects of the rooms. The bathrooms don't have enough (or conveniently placed) towel holders/racks, so that is awkward, but otherwise the rooms are nice. The property is really pretty.

The staff at registration are really helpful and friendly and accommodated a room change to a higher floor, so I wasn't looking right into the parking lot.

The breakfast buffet is kind of a weak link; the food was cold both mornings I ate there, even though the sternos were burning? the toaster warmed things, but never browned them. My breakfast was included, but I think the cost is over $10.

There are a lot of shops and restaurants in a small shopping "district" next door to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hilary C - Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us and we hope you enjoyed your time in Miami Lakes. It is always a great thing to hear from our guests as you all provide us help us gauge what we do well and what we can improve upon. We are sorry to hear that breakfast did not meet your expectations and we will be sure to share your comments with our food & beverage team. We look forward to being of service to you in the near future and again thank you for your time.

Safe travels

Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed here in July 2014 for 3 nights, which we booked on hotels.com for 244$ including tax.
In that price we also got a 25$ discount on Shula's steakhouse - hotel restaurant.

So, the check in was no fuss. Front desk staff are courteous and worked fast. There are several parking areas nearby so that wasn't a problem. Free of charge, which is great.

The rooms are quite spacious, and have gone through a renovation. Nice with hardwood floors for a change instead of the usuall carpet, which seem to be standard at most US hotels. Beds are comfy and TV has movie on demand.
The only thing that bothered us in the room was the total lack of soundproofing. There is a good space between the room door and the floor out to the hall. You can basically hear everything that is going on in the hallway. Be sure to bring earplugs.
Also, even though the rooms are renovated, this seems to have been done poorly. Paint was coming of doors, the water has no way to go in the bathroom floor (=flooding), toilet fixture is not attached properly etc. I suspect the hotel hired cheap labor and not a contractor.

Housekeeping are doing their job. However there are way to few towels to go around. We returned to the room 5pm and the room was clean but there were no towels! When I finally got hold of the houskeeping crew, they seemed bothered that I wanted towels. The towels were all warm so I guess they were running back and forth to the laundry room just to make the towel quota. This problem occured during our whole stay.

We didn't use the restaurant, since you had to eat for more than 100$ to use the discount of 25$. It seemed a bit pricy and I guess that explained the lack of guests eating in the steakhouse.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Altheo25 - hälsningar to our friends from Sweden. We thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be your choice hotel while visiting Miami and we value the great comments you have provided. We also appreciate you bringing to our attention some of your observations and experiences you encountered during you stay. We have shared them with our team and will utilize them in our continued endeavor to provide our guests great experiences. We apologize if these caused you any inconveniences during your stay and hope you enjoyed your time in Miami.

We look forward to being of service to you again and wish you future safe travels.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It is well located and and employees are helpful, here ends the good things.
Rooms does not give the aparience equal or better for ehat I am paying for. The bed is worn in the center and the mattres might be 50 yrs old!!
The a/c is very loud...
Breakfast need a lot of improvement!!
I will advice you to stay at another hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
paeslima - Thank you for sharing this with us. We are extremely disappointed to hear about your experience and hope you had an opportunity to share the details with members of our team during your stay. We typically receive great feedback regarding the comfort of our beds and apologize for not meeting your sleep and breakfast expectations. Our team will continue to utilize our guest feedback to identify areas of improvement and appreciate the comments you have provided. We hope you will allow us another opportunity in the near future to turn this experience around.

Thank you for your time and we wish you safe travels.

Jorge

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!