“Nice rooms for a good price” 3 of 5 stars

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6842 Main Street, Miami Lakes, FL 33014   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Nice rooms for a good price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here in July 2014 for 3 nights, which we booked on hotels.com for 244$ including tax.
In that price we also got a 25$ discount on Shula's steakhouse - hotel restaurant.

So, the check in was no fuss. Front desk staff are courteous and worked fast. There are several parking areas nearby so that wasn't a problem. Free of charge, which is great.

The rooms are quite spacious, and have gone through a renovation. Nice with hardwood floors for a change instead of the usuall carpet, which seem to be standard at most US hotels. Beds are comfy and TV has movie on demand.
The only thing that bothered us in the room was the total lack of soundproofing. There is a good space between the room door and the floor out to the hall. You can basically hear everything that is going on in the hallway. Be sure to bring earplugs.
Also, even though the rooms are renovated, this seems to have been done poorly. Paint was coming of doors, the water has no way to go in the bathroom floor (=flooding), toilet fixture is not attached properly etc. I suspect the hotel hired cheap labor and not a contractor.

Housekeeping are doing their job. However there are way to few towels to go around. We returned to the room 5pm and the room was clean but there were no towels! When I finally got hold of the houskeeping crew, they seemed bothered that I wanted towels. The towels were all warm so I guess they were running back and forth to the laundry room just to make the towel quota. This problem occured during our whole stay.

We didn't use the restaurant, since you had to eat for more than 100$ to use the discount of 25$. It seemed a bit pricy and I guess that explained the lack of guests eating in the steakhouse.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Altheo25 - hälsningar to our friends from Sweden. We thank you for allowing us the opportunity to be your choice hotel while visiting Miami and we value the great comments you have provided. We also appreciate you bringing to our attention some of your observations and experiences you encountered during you stay. We have shared them with our team and will utilize them in our continued endeavor to provide our guests great experiences. We apologize if these caused you any inconveniences during your stay and hope you enjoyed your time in Miami.

We look forward to being of service to you again and wish you future safe travels.

Jorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

It is well located and and employees are helpful, here ends the good things.
Rooms does not give the aparience equal or better for ehat I am paying for. The bed is worn in the center and the mattres might be 50 yrs old!!
The a/c is very loud...
Breakfast need a lot of improvement!!
I will advice you to stay at another hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
paeslima - Thank you for sharing this with us. We are extremely disappointed to hear about your experience and hope you had an opportunity to share the details with members of our team during your stay. We typically receive great feedback regarding the comfort of our beds and apologize for not meeting your sleep and breakfast expectations. Our team will continue to utilize our guest feedback to identify areas of improvement and appreciate the comments you have provided. We hope you will allow us another opportunity in the near future to turn this experience around.

Thank you for your time and we wish you safe travels.

Lutz, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've had the chance to stay at this great facility several times over the past 2-3 months, and it seems to get better each time. Don't forget the Fitness Center - the best I've seen at ay hotel! The reception staff go out of their way to help, and everyone is so friendly. A real tribute to the leadership at Shula's.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Mark P - Thank you for your continued loyalty and for the wonderful comments you have provided. We will be sure to share them with our team and look forward to your next visit.

Thanks again and safe travels

South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I recently booked a one night stay at Shula's Hotel. I guess first thing, the entrance is confusing as well as the check in desk. The ladies at the desk were very accommodating with checking my family of 4 in at the last minute. This property has a very strange layout but for the most part it has the bones to be an upscale resort. The room was a decent size but it's showing it's age. There were only table lamps so it was very dark. The hardwood floors was a plus but that also caused the beds to slide. Loved the private balcony and my room overlooked the courtyard. The beds were super comfortable but a little too small for a queen or even a double. I didn't hear any of the others guests so that was a plus. If I'm ever in Miami Lakes again, there's a 50/50 chance I'll stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Goldwire - We hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the Miami Lakes area and thank you for choosing us as you destination hotel. We appreciate you sharing some of the details of your stay and hope that after your initial arrival, the property became easier to navigate through. We are a unique property with an amazing courtyard/lagoon area and our team was happy to hear you enjoyed the view. We hope that if you find yourself back in the area, you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Thanks again and safe travels.

Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Shula is in an excellent location. I love the stores and many restaurants that are in walking distance. Donna (Jamaica) from the Front Desk is absolutely wonderful. She was very helpful upon check in and made us feel so welcomed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
EleuGurl - We were happy to hear that you had an opportunity to experience some of what our local neighborhood has to offer. We are in a great location and just a stroll away from many great places to eat and shop. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of Donna and we will be sure to share your comments with her and the rest of our team.

Thank you again and we wish you safe travels

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night in June and were very happy. While this is an older hotel, the rooms have been recently renovated. Our room was immaculate and we really liked the wood floors. The bed was very comfortable. We did not use any of the amenities but we did walk around the pool area and it was well kept. The staff was very friendly and check in was easy. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
bonniec1967 - Thank you for choosing Shula's as your recent destination hotel and for providing us with some insight into your recent experience. We hope you have another opportunity to stay with us a little longer in the near future and experience some of the other amenities we have to offer. We appreciate your time and look forward to being of service to you again.

Safe travels.

knoxville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for a week recently on business. First, the pros:
The staff was always very friendly, although sometimes not well informed - for instance, no one seemed to know much about local transportation options (i.e. bus routes), they always suggested taxi service. FYI, the "hotel shuttle" ONLY goes between Shula's properties, according to desk staff - it does not provide transportation anywhere else in downtown Miami Lakes. Also, my bed was very soft and comfortable. I appreciated the hardwood laminate floors (as opposed to the usual carpet). The WiFi service works quite well, never had any connection problems. I did not use the outdoor pool, but others in my group did, and it appeared to be clean and well-maintained. I had a pool-view room and enjoyed sitting out on my balcony in the evenings. The A/C worked well, and I did not mind the noise - it helps me sleep. The hotel is conveniently located on Main Street, with several restaurants and shops as well as a CVS pharmacy and a Publix grocery store within walking distance.
The cons:
The shower in my room did not drain very well at all. The bathroom door desperately needed repainting - lots of areas where the paint had flaked off. Some black mold was present in the corner caulking of the shower. The bathroom area lighting is all controlled by one switch - either all on (the sink outside the bathroom, the sink in the bathroom, and the overhead lights in the bathroom area - i.e. either dark, or VERY bright.) I would have preferred to have a separate switch for the lights in the actual bathroom (toilet/shower) area - allowing someone to get ready or use the toilet/shower without disturbing others in the room. The hairdryer and iron both needed cleaning - the hairdryer, in particular, was very sticky. The ironing board did not stand level, to the extent that I did not feel safe setting the hot iron on it. There is no mini-fridge or microwave in the room, just FYI. The three stairwells closest to my room were each closed for about 2 days during my trip for painting - two of them at the same time - which was understandable, but sometimes quite inconvenient (and stinky). I noticed quite a bit of noise from planes flying in/out over the hotel. For Verizon customers - there is little to no signal at this property. I could only make phone calls standing on my balcony.
A few words about the associated athletic club:
There are a variety of machines and facilities available for use, including tennis courts and a basketball court (I think there was a pool that was out of order as well). It is a gym with memberships, so it is not just hotel guests. The times I visited, it was always quite crowded. I'm a CrossFitter and was hoping to get some workouts in while I was on vacation. I tried one of the exercise classes, called a "Total Body Strength" class (hoping it would be somewhat like my CF workouts) and was very disappointed, mainly with the instructor's attitude. He did not introduce himself, nor say a word about the class or what equipment we needed before we started. I could not hear or understand his instructions and had to follow what others were doing. He seemed more interested in staring out the window, when he wasn't staring at his stopwatch, than in watching the class and helping participants with form and movements (and I saw some blatantly poor form that was never addressed - that could cause injury.) At the end of the class, he was out the door and down the stairs before I had gathered my things. I did not come back. I hope that's not what all your classes are like.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
littlemrslarge - Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is always great to hear from our guests as it allows us an opportunity to see our hotel from a guest perspective and we value the information we receive. We have taken your comments back to our management team at the hotel and athletic club. We do hope you had an opportunity to bring the deficiencies in your room to the attention of our team and hope they were able to rectify them. We look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you.

Keep Crossfitting - Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Safe travels

Courtyard Miami Lakes
#1 of 4 in Miami Lakes
4.0 of 5 stars 145 reviews
La Quinta Inn & Suites Miami Lakes
Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft Lauderdale / Miramar
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!