“Good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
n/a
“Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I recently booked a one night stay at Shula's Hotel. I guess first thing, the entrance is confusing as well as the check in desk. The ladies at the desk were very accommodating with checking my family of 4 in at the last minute. This property has a very strange layout but for the most part it has the bones to be an upscale resort. The room was a decent size but it's showing it's age. There were only table lamps so it was very dark. The hardwood floors was a plus but that also caused the beds to slide. Loved the private balcony and my room overlooked the courtyard. The beds were super comfortable but a little too small for a queen or even a double. I didn't hear any of the others guests so that was a plus. If I'm ever in Miami Lakes again, there's a 50/50 chance I'll stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Goldwire - We hope you enjoyed your brief stay in the Miami Lakes area and thank you for choosing us as you destination hotel. We appreciate you sharing some of the details of your stay and hope that after your initial arrival, the property became easier to navigate through. We are a unique property with an amazing courtyard/lagoon area and our team was happy to hear you enjoyed the view. We hope that if you find yourself back in the area, you will allow us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Thanks again and safe travels.

Jorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The Shula is in an excellent location. I love the stores and many restaurants that are in walking distance. Donna (Jamaica) from the Front Desk is absolutely wonderful. She was very helpful upon check in and made us feel so welcomed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
EleuGurl - We were happy to hear that you had an opportunity to experience some of what our local neighborhood has to offer. We are in a great location and just a stroll away from many great places to eat and shop. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of Donna and we will be sure to share your comments with her and the rest of our team.

Thank you again and we wish you safe travels

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night in June and were very happy. While this is an older hotel, the rooms have been recently renovated. Our room was immaculate and we really liked the wood floors. The bed was very comfortable. We did not use any of the amenities but we did walk around the pool area and it was well kept. The staff was very friendly and check in was easy. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
bonniec1967 - Thank you for choosing Shula's as your recent destination hotel and for providing us with some insight into your recent experience. We hope you have another opportunity to stay with us a little longer in the near future and experience some of the other amenities we have to offer. We appreciate your time and look forward to being of service to you again.

Safe travels.

knoxville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for a week recently on business. First, the pros:
The staff was always very friendly, although sometimes not well informed - for instance, no one seemed to know much about local transportation options (i.e. bus routes), they always suggested taxi service. FYI, the "hotel shuttle" ONLY goes between Shula's properties, according to desk staff - it does not provide transportation anywhere else in downtown Miami Lakes. Also, my bed was very soft and comfortable. I appreciated the hardwood laminate floors (as opposed to the usual carpet). The WiFi service works quite well, never had any connection problems. I did not use the outdoor pool, but others in my group did, and it appeared to be clean and well-maintained. I had a pool-view room and enjoyed sitting out on my balcony in the evenings. The A/C worked well, and I did not mind the noise - it helps me sleep. The hotel is conveniently located on Main Street, with several restaurants and shops as well as a CVS pharmacy and a Publix grocery store within walking distance.
The cons:
The shower in my room did not drain very well at all. The bathroom door desperately needed repainting - lots of areas where the paint had flaked off. Some black mold was present in the corner caulking of the shower. The bathroom area lighting is all controlled by one switch - either all on (the sink outside the bathroom, the sink in the bathroom, and the overhead lights in the bathroom area - i.e. either dark, or VERY bright.) I would have preferred to have a separate switch for the lights in the actual bathroom (toilet/shower) area - allowing someone to get ready or use the toilet/shower without disturbing others in the room. The hairdryer and iron both needed cleaning - the hairdryer, in particular, was very sticky. The ironing board did not stand level, to the extent that I did not feel safe setting the hot iron on it. There is no mini-fridge or microwave in the room, just FYI. The three stairwells closest to my room were each closed for about 2 days during my trip for painting - two of them at the same time - which was understandable, but sometimes quite inconvenient (and stinky). I noticed quite a bit of noise from planes flying in/out over the hotel. For Verizon customers - there is little to no signal at this property. I could only make phone calls standing on my balcony.
A few words about the associated athletic club:
There are a variety of machines and facilities available for use, including tennis courts and a basketball court (I think there was a pool that was out of order as well). It is a gym with memberships, so it is not just hotel guests. The times I visited, it was always quite crowded. I'm a CrossFitter and was hoping to get some workouts in while I was on vacation. I tried one of the exercise classes, called a "Total Body Strength" class (hoping it would be somewhat like my CF workouts) and was very disappointed, mainly with the instructor's attitude. He did not introduce himself, nor say a word about the class or what equipment we needed before we started. I could not hear or understand his instructions and had to follow what others were doing. He seemed more interested in staring out the window, when he wasn't staring at his stopwatch, than in watching the class and helping participants with form and movements (and I saw some blatantly poor form that was never addressed - that could cause injury.) At the end of the class, he was out the door and down the stairs before I had gathered my things. I did not come back. I hope that's not what all your classes are like.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
littlemrslarge - Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is always great to hear from our guests as it allows us an opportunity to see our hotel from a guest perspective and we value the information we receive. We have taken your comments back to our management team at the hotel and athletic club. We do hope you had an opportunity to bring the deficiencies in your room to the attention of our team and hope they were able to rectify them. We look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you.

Keep Crossfitting - Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I attended a High School Reunion at the Resort. Rooms were nice, especially the poolside rooms. The Hotel was very nice and the beds were incredibly comfortable. Now the restaurant.....prices were too high for what you get. A Chateau Michele Riesling ($9 a bottle at the store) was $9 a glass! We started out at Happy Hour, 3 beers and one glass of wine, then dinner with one more glass of wine and my husband had a double shot of Crown ($18) our bill was $143. Before tip!!!!!!I (I had an Ahi tuna salad and my husband had a steak)
Service was better at dinner than at breakfast
Breakfast- the server poured everyone coffee we only asked for 3 coffees and then he poured 4 -3oz orange juices which no one asked for. We were charged for everything he poured! He rarely checked on us, we had to ask for menus, not a good experience! There were other problems, but I think you get the idea.
There was a wonderful front desk clerk! The Hotel experience is probably 4 Star, but I would skip eating and drinking there!

Room Tip: Rooms were nice, even the standard room. Beds were very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jaime D - It was indeed a pleasure hosting you and all your high school alumni and hope you all had a spectacular reunion. We were sorry to hear about some of the service issues you encountered in our restaurant and apologize for no giving you a great dining experience. We have shared you review with our food & beverage team in order to identify where we can improve upon. We thank you for sharing and look forward to hosting your next reunion.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

When I come to Miami Lakes, this is the best place to stay. Rooms and beds are comfortable. Natasha one of the staff members and extremely helpful. You can set the room AC to your own temperature ... My brother finds the AC a little noisy but I like it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the signature room if you can!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lori S - We are glad to be your choice hotel while in Miami Lakes and appreciate you sharing your comments with us. We look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you and again thank you for sharing.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We decided to stay here even though the hotel was rated #4 of 4 hotels. When we checked in the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The room appeared clean, until we had 2 roaches in our room (not palmetto bugs). My daughter was looking for a toy that had gone under one of the beds, when she saw crumbs of food under the bed. Sorry our stay wasn't what we had hoped for. We like the area and its close to where my sister lives. Unfortunately, we won't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DSCAshburn - We appreciate you choosing Shula's for your recent stay in Miami Lakes and are sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience. We do have a great partnership with our pest control vendor and have an aggressive program in place. We understand your position and hope that you will reconsider staying with us next time you are in the Miami Lakes area. We hope the remainder of your stay went well and that you enjoyed your time in South Florida.

Thank you for sharing and we wish you safe travels.

Jorge

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!