“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Miami Lakes
Orlando, Florida
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here for one night in June and were very happy. While this is an older hotel, the rooms have been recently renovated. Our room was immaculate and we really liked the wood floors. The bed was very comfortable. We did not use any of the amenities but we did walk around the pool area and it was well kept. The staff was very friendly and check in was easy. We would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
bonniec1967 - Thank you for choosing Shula's as your recent destination hotel and for providing us with some insight into your recent experience. We hope you have another opportunity to stay with us a little longer in the near future and experience some of the other amenities we have to offer. We appreciate your time and look forward to being of service to you again.

Safe travels.

Jorge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
knoxville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for a week recently on business. First, the pros:
The staff was always very friendly, although sometimes not well informed - for instance, no one seemed to know much about local transportation options (i.e. bus routes), they always suggested taxi service. FYI, the "hotel shuttle" ONLY goes between Shula's properties, according to desk staff - it does not provide transportation anywhere else in downtown Miami Lakes. Also, my bed was very soft and comfortable. I appreciated the hardwood laminate floors (as opposed to the usual carpet). The WiFi service works quite well, never had any connection problems. I did not use the outdoor pool, but others in my group did, and it appeared to be clean and well-maintained. I had a pool-view room and enjoyed sitting out on my balcony in the evenings. The A/C worked well, and I did not mind the noise - it helps me sleep. The hotel is conveniently located on Main Street, with several restaurants and shops as well as a CVS pharmacy and a Publix grocery store within walking distance.
The cons:
The shower in my room did not drain very well at all. The bathroom door desperately needed repainting - lots of areas where the paint had flaked off. Some black mold was present in the corner caulking of the shower. The bathroom area lighting is all controlled by one switch - either all on (the sink outside the bathroom, the sink in the bathroom, and the overhead lights in the bathroom area - i.e. either dark, or VERY bright.) I would have preferred to have a separate switch for the lights in the actual bathroom (toilet/shower) area - allowing someone to get ready or use the toilet/shower without disturbing others in the room. The hairdryer and iron both needed cleaning - the hairdryer, in particular, was very sticky. The ironing board did not stand level, to the extent that I did not feel safe setting the hot iron on it. There is no mini-fridge or microwave in the room, just FYI. The three stairwells closest to my room were each closed for about 2 days during my trip for painting - two of them at the same time - which was understandable, but sometimes quite inconvenient (and stinky). I noticed quite a bit of noise from planes flying in/out over the hotel. For Verizon customers - there is little to no signal at this property. I could only make phone calls standing on my balcony.
A few words about the associated athletic club:
There are a variety of machines and facilities available for use, including tennis courts and a basketball court (I think there was a pool that was out of order as well). It is a gym with memberships, so it is not just hotel guests. The times I visited, it was always quite crowded. I'm a CrossFitter and was hoping to get some workouts in while I was on vacation. I tried one of the exercise classes, called a "Total Body Strength" class (hoping it would be somewhat like my CF workouts) and was very disappointed, mainly with the instructor's attitude. He did not introduce himself, nor say a word about the class or what equipment we needed before we started. I could not hear or understand his instructions and had to follow what others were doing. He seemed more interested in staring out the window, when he wasn't staring at his stopwatch, than in watching the class and helping participants with form and movements (and I saw some blatantly poor form that was never addressed - that could cause injury.) At the end of the class, he was out the door and down the stairs before I had gathered my things. I did not come back. I hope that's not what all your classes are like.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
littlemrslarge - Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. It is always great to hear from our guests as it allows us an opportunity to see our hotel from a guest perspective and we value the information we receive. We have taken your comments back to our management team at the hotel and athletic club. We do hope you had an opportunity to bring the deficiencies in your room to the attention of our team and hope they were able to rectify them. We look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you.

Keep Crossfitting - Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I attended a High School Reunion at the Resort. Rooms were nice, especially the poolside rooms. The Hotel was very nice and the beds were incredibly comfortable. Now the restaurant.....prices were too high for what you get. A Chateau Michele Riesling ($9 a bottle at the store) was $9 a glass! We started out at Happy Hour, 3 beers and one glass of wine, then dinner with one more glass of wine and my husband had a double shot of Crown ($18) our bill was $143. Before tip!!!!!!I (I had an Ahi tuna salad and my husband had a steak)
Service was better at dinner than at breakfast
Breakfast- the server poured everyone coffee we only asked for 3 coffees and then he poured 4 -3oz orange juices which no one asked for. We were charged for everything he poured! He rarely checked on us, we had to ask for menus, not a good experience! There were other problems, but I think you get the idea.
There was a wonderful front desk clerk! The Hotel experience is probably 4 Star, but I would skip eating and drinking there!

Room Tip: Rooms were nice, even the standard room. Beds were very comfortable.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Jaime D - It was indeed a pleasure hosting you and all your high school alumni and hope you all had a spectacular reunion. We were sorry to hear about some of the service issues you encountered in our restaurant and apologize for no giving you a great dining experience. We have shared you review with our food & beverage team in order to identify where we can improve upon. We thank you for sharing and look forward to hosting your next reunion.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

When I come to Miami Lakes, this is the best place to stay. Rooms and beds are comfortable. Natasha one of the staff members and extremely helpful. You can set the room AC to your own temperature ... My brother finds the AC a little noisy but I like it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the signature room if you can!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Lori S - We are glad to be your choice hotel while in Miami Lakes and appreciate you sharing your comments with us. We look forward to the next opportunity to be of service to you and again thank you for sharing.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We decided to stay here even though the hotel was rated #4 of 4 hotels. When we checked in the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. The room appeared clean, until we had 2 roaches in our room (not palmetto bugs). My daughter was looking for a toy that had gone under one of the beds, when she saw crumbs of food under the bed. Sorry our stay wasn't what we had hoped for. We like the area and its close to where my sister lives. Unfortunately, we won't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DSCAshburn - We appreciate you choosing Shula's for your recent stay in Miami Lakes and are sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience. We do have a great partnership with our pest control vendor and have an aggressive program in place. We understand your position and hope that you will reconsider staying with us next time you are in the Miami Lakes area. We hope the remainder of your stay went well and that you enjoyed your time in South Florida.

Thank you for sharing and we wish you safe travels.

Naples, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed this week at the last minute. We've stayed before years ago and liked the location but knew it needed updating. We heard they were going through a renovation so we tried it again. We did get a renovated room and it is MUCH better. Wood floors, granite tops, etc. However, they got cheap on the sheets. They didn't fit the bed and if you rolled over the sheet came with you. I spent most of the night fighting the sheets and sleeping on the mattress (ugh).

Re: customer service. When they answered the phone we were quick to get towels (didn't have enough in the room) but the front desk was clueless about breakfast and the restaurant. Transferred and lost the call twice. The front desk also asked me 3 times what kind of room I wanted and needed help with the computer figuring out how to check me in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Don C - We appreciate you returning to Shula's and for allowing us some insight into your recent stay with us. So sorry to hear about the trouble you encountered with the sheets and have shared your comments with our housekeeping team. We also apologize for check-in expereince as we have some new staff members still in training that may have been assisting you. We hope this expereince does not deter you from returning to Shula's and thank you again for your time.

Bloomington, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

For the price, this is WAY too expensive for what you get. The entire facility is out dated. The pictures make it look real nice but don't be fooled. The staff at the front desk are extremely friendly but that's where the customer service ends. Our mattress was so sunk in in the middle that we woke up with sore backs. I requested they change the mattress and they said they would but they never did. Needless to say, I suffered with a sore back the entire week. They apparently don't have enough towels/washcloths for all their guests. My wife and I returned to our rooms to find NO washcloths. When I approached the cleaning staff they said they would bring them by once they were finished drying. This was at 5:00pm in the evening. We never received the washcloths and the front desk said they weren't any left. The swimming pool had a lot of dead bugs floating in it. Really kind of disgusting. The food in the restaurant is over priced too. I kind of expected that. Fortunately, there are abundant restaurants in the vicinity at more reasonable prices. I've stayed at Super 8's that were much more up to date and comfortable for half the price of this place. We will never return.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Matt S - We are extremely disappointed to hear about your recent experiences while staying with us and appreciate you sharing them. We have reviewed your comments with our team in efforts to identify any areas we can improve on. We hope that you have fully recovered from you back issue and again truly apologize for this experience. Our team hopes that you reconsider a future stay with us as we would like to turn this recent experience around.

Thank you for your time and we wish you safe travels.

Jorge

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!