“Fantastic property!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Miami Lakes
Jonesboro, AR USA
“Fantastic property!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Our football team stayed one night before playing at Florida International. The property is gorgeous and the staff is very professional and courteous. The meeting facilities were top notch and the restaurants had great food. Great overall experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
ccpillow - Thank you for allowing Shula's Hotel the opportunity to be your pregame host hotel. We enjoy the activity surrounding football season and always look forward to the energy the players bring with them as well as the professionalism the coaching and support staff always display. We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future and wish you a very successful 2013 season.

Safe Travels

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

After being forced to move from a far less superior hotel late one evening, we were able to book ourselves into this hotel after10PM at night! Even at that time of day, staff were enthusiastic, helpful and sympathetic to our situation. The room was clean, warm and welcoming. The location, near major highways (10-15 minutes to MIA), was a bonus. The grounds/landscaping/fountains etc are all tastefully done and a photographer's paradise. The entire resort area was clean and gave us the feeling of safety and security.

The only complaint we had with this hote is that we can't find anything to complain about!

Kudos to the front desk staff who put a whole new meaning to the word "friendly", and to all the maintenance staff who keep this area looking like a 5 star location.

If you are looking for great value for your hard-earned dollar, a stress-free stay and service which sets the bar, this might be the place for you!

Thanks for an incredible stay after an unfortunate previous hotel choice in the same area!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
1OttawaBob1 - Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Shula's Hotel with us. We are happy to hear about your experience and are very appreciative of the wonderful comments regarding our staff. We are very proud of what we have here at Shula's and our team truly enjoys providing our guests with simply great service. We will be sure to share these comments with our team.

Thanks again and safe travels.

Scouseville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a few weeks last year, and the couple things made an impression on me. Why I did not have ants or bugs crawling around my room like other reviewers (luckily), my thermostat broke on the first night and was unable to turn the air conditioning on. After this, I had to regulate the temperature manually by turning the cooling system on and off as required. This was the start of a few issues I had.

While the room is okay overall, I found the air conditioning to be very ineffective. After just a week my papers felt down and it seemed like the humidity could not be gotten rid of! For Miami, this is very poor.

Finally, the shower was very stiff to turn on and off, I even had to call maintenance a couple times to help me get it off.

I do not see myself returning to this location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
grouse4scouse - Thank you for posting a review of your August 2012 stay at Shula's Hotel. We are sorry to hear about some of the issues you encountered during your stay. At the time we were in full swing with our renovations and have since completed our guestrooms and common area refreshing. We hope you would reconsider giving Shula's another opportunity to show you what changes we have made since your last visit and turn your August experience around. Thank you again for your time.

Safe Travels.

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Our room had new floors on the 1st floor near the jacuzzi. The room was nice, clean though the hallways were in need of new carpet and some renovation as it smelled a lot like beer. The hotel has a lot of events so it does get noisy at times. Stay away from the room near the jacuzzi as it gets noisy as it's open 24 hours a day.

Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. Well trained. Provided an extra bed and fridge for us as well as picking up a ton of packages reliably.

Location is great, near the airport and central to most areas in Miami. Safe area with services nearby. Has an athletic center, golf course and restaurants associated with the property.

Hotel is a bit dated and is need of some renovation. I'd come back again. Not a Hyatt but certainly good value for what we paid.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the jacuzzi
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
will678021 - Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Shula's with us. We are in our final phase of completing or renovation and believe that the beer odor may have been caused by a guest accidentally. We have also recently changed the policy regarding the hours as we recognized the fact that after hours use may disturb guests nearby and do apologize for the noise. We appreciate the kind words regarding the staff and will be sure to share your comments with them.

Winston-Salem, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Be sure to check in if you want to stay up all night, plunging your own toilet and drinking native insects.
Pros- excellent neighborhood where you can walk to dinner and feel safe. Cons- Toilet clogged daily, even with just 3 sheets of paper. I was delivered a plunger at 3am since the "engineer" was out (see later con on clientele). Maids cleaning 8am-8pm, service staff is very boisterous, they often block the elevator. Zero sound-proofing to the hallway or other rooms. On a weeknight, next door clubbers were yelling for hours despite complaints to the front desk who claimed they sent "security". About 20 ants found drowned in bedside water glass in the morning. Dresser drawer would not stay shut, convenient for shin bruising. Hotel would not give us a new room to evade any of these issues.

Room Tip: First floor (hard to get elevator), away from elevator (where service break rooms are noisy).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
tennybum - Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent experience at Shula’s. So sorry to hear about some of the issues you encountered during your stay. We have shared your comments with our team and have addressed some of the service issues you encountered with them. We regret not meeting or exceeding your stay expectations and hope to have another opportunity to turn this experience around.

Thank you again and safe travels.

Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

While the hotel is lovely and clean, especially for Miami, I am diappointed by the lack of follow up by the staff. One of my bags went missing in the hotel lobby. When I realized it I went to inquire at the front desk if anyone found it. i was assured it was not found. The next day, after my departure, my fiance called and asked for a manager. He was informed they had my bag with my wallet, keys, passport etc all along - locked in a bellmans closet. Allegedly another guest gave it to the front desk. They apologized for my inconvenience and promised to fedex it at their cost right away. It's four days later and a front desk associate called to inform us that they'd only mail it if I paid for it. Since when do front desk associates override managers decisions? So, as of today, my bag is being held hostage by the staff at Shulas - four days after my departure. I have no keys, no wallet, have had to cancel credit and bank cards and am inconvenienced even more. I was assured by a manager that the GM would call us back today to speak to us regarding this ordeal, but we still haven't heard from him either. All in all, any good thoughts I had of this hotel are long gone. If the staff can't follow up on a simple issue, and the management team allows its associates to override their decisions and behave rudely, they obviously aren't a reputable establishment. I'm really curious to see what's left in my bag if I ever receive it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Gibbs B - We are very sorry for the delay in shipping your bag to you but are glad that your bag was found with all its contents. Our staff handles a number of lost & found property left by guests in the hotel and typically return the items to the rightful owner fairly quickly. We admit we had an off day in handling your bag and we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences it may have caused you. We have reviewed this scenario with our staff to ensure these requests continue to be handled as expeditiously as possible. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Safe Travels

Berwyn, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The front desk staff (Nataly) was terrific and maybe a little naive. I had asked for a handicapped room because I had two joints replaced in the past three months. The rooms are clean and comfortable with sparkling laminated floors (no icky brown plush or shag here)and wifi and freshly papered baths. The walk in shower was perfect. The desk chair in the first room was comfy but half the pad on one arm rest was chewed up. The only other place to sit was one easy chair.

Unfortunately the room couldn't be farther from the elevator, and the lock on the balcony door had been destroyed and was unusable. The screen operated as poorly as an ancient sliding door does. I was on the third floor, but that lock had been destroyed for a reason. If I hadn't been burgled three times in six months when I lived in Miami, I might have felt more confident.

Nataly found me another handicapped room with no balcony and no walk in shower, which was fine as there were a gazillion grab bars. This room wasn't quite as far to walk, but really, mobility is a big handicap issue these days with boomers and their hips and knees.

The first night was a delight. Peace and calm.

The second night had banging and yelling starting after midnight. Something in the bed was scratching me. I finally got up and found a small chip of glass. Part of someone's ring?

Housekeeping--as I said before the room was clean and inviting. The pillowtop bed was too soft for me and the bottom sheet didn't stay on. After the first night, the maid hadn't emptied my water filled (melted cubes) ice bucket and the last thing I did before I checked out was wipe off what looked like chocolate (hope that's what it was) at eye level off the bathroom wall. It had bothered me since I arrived and had been overlooked by at least two cleanings.

In the restaurant there was excellent and friendly service by Roman from the Ukraine and a middle aged Cuban server whose name I can't remember. I had a delicious salad.

I had to check out early due to illness to return home. The front desk was gracious about this, too.

Will I come back here? Maybe if I don't need a handicapped room. As a woman travelling alone, I feel safer in Miami Lakes than in most other parts of Miami. Also I lucked out with a special I found on Trip Advisor. The cost was reasonable. $86/ night.

Parking was easy and for these with no mobility issues, restaurants and shops are an easy walk--Main Street. Miami lakes is a mixed use planned development and guests can also walk the sidewalks through the neighborhoods and around the lakes. For those with mobility issues there is a lot of distance to walk to the elevator, to the front desk, to the in-house restaurant, to Main Street and to the car, etc.

There was no room service. When I got sick I was on my own. I just didn't eat. Or drink cold drinks. The ice and beverage machines were by the elevator as per usual--a LONG walk from the handicapped rooms. When I checked in, the front desk gave me a photocopy of restaurants to walk to, but only names and phone numbers-- no menus or hours. I could assume from a word in the name "Thai" or "Italian" what kind of food it was, but not price, or meals, or formality. A notebook in the room with this info is customary in other hotels when I travel. And, yes, I looked for this in both rooms because I was VERY hungry when I arrived.

I did not use the spa, but I bet if I did, it would have been a loooonnng walk. :-)

There are two Dom Shula restaurants. My GPS got me to the one not with my hotel. The very very kind valet parking attendant and shuttle driver went out of their ways to get me to my hotel by arranging for me to follow.

If you are worried about language issues, most people have an accent but understand and speak English beautifully and their friendliness and helpfulness are superior. If you should find someone who only speaks Spanish, dust off your. high school vocabulary and give it a try. They will then be happy to work with you. If you start spouting that this is the USA and that ENGLISH is the language, you may find that the local has sudden and total amnesia of English.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
JFerbeyre, Manager at Shula's Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Elizabeth S - thank you for sharing your recent experience with us and we truely appreciate your time. We are sorry to hear that you had mixed feelings about your stay but value the wonderful comments you have provided. We look forward to sharing them with our team and using them to insure we create the best possible experience for our guests. We do hope we have another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future and create a positive overall experience for you.

Thank you again for sharing and safe travels

Jorge

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!