“A nice place to stay in Miami area” 5 of 5 stars

Shula's Hotel & Golf Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6842 Main Street, Miami Lakes, FL 33014   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Miami Lakes
Philadelphia
“A nice place to stay in Miami area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

This hotel had a central location to Main Street in Miami Lakes where our daughter had her wedding reception. The hotel has great perks like the fitness center (which is really hopping!). It is fully staffed with professionals to help you work out, equipment is top notch, and the fitness classes were professionally run....all this is included with the hotel stay. The pool area is relaxing, but not over hyped. The hot tub was a nice touch, too. The rooms are very adequate in size and we enjoyed the first floor access of our room to the pool deck. They add a nice touch of Aveda products in the bathroom. The front desk staff was very attentive, along with a good support staff in the Conceierge department. In the lobby, there is Shula's 2, which we had very abundant breakfasts and fun at night for drinks and hanging out......even got to see one of my old Philadelphia Phillie faves from my childhood. The hotel is walking distance to ATM's, Publix Food Store, various restaurants, movies, and a CVS. All in all, a wonderful experience. P.S. You have to eat at Shula's Steak house, too. They have a free shuttle to take you to this wonderful dining experience.

• Liked — Fitness Center
  • Disliked — Even though the front desk staff was very helpful, it was understaffed at times
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Southern California, U.S.A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

I have stayed at Shula's on business several times over the years. It does have a good sports bar and the new rooms are very nice. The Thai restaurant across the street is great.

I was amazed when I checked in at the unprofessional behavior of the front desk staff. I made a request for a certain type of room and they both laughed in my face. Miami is certainly not known for friendly hotel staff unless you bool a boutique hotel in South Beach. But this took the cake! The great thing is that when you check out of Shula's the front desk staff actually asks you what could have been improved with your stay. I told them but I'm sure it did not make it to the hotel managment.

If you want the best hotel in Miami try the Astor in South Beach!

Safe travels!

• Liked — New room upgrades
  • Disliked — Front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

Due to yet another cancellation by the most undependable airline in the country (American Airlines) I was forced to spend a night in Miami waiting for the next flight.

AA put me up at Don Shula's Hotel and while I was expecting another American Airlines disapointment the place was not bad. The room was a little dated but definitely clean. The pink walls were a little hard on the eyes, but for a quick stay it was fine.

It is a little far from the airport (25 Min) and a cab will cost you $42.

Service was good, at the front desk and the steakhouse was a little overpriced but not bad.

Stayed February 2008
Jax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2008

I have stayed at Shula's Hotel on a regular basis since 2001. I have always found the staff to be friendly, courteous, and always willing to help. The golf course is delightful to play as well as challenging. A GREAT Value.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2008

I travel almost every week. I spend a considerable amount of time in chain hotels. If you want every hotel and hotel room to look and feel the same, Shula's is not for you. If you want a very nice room in a hotel where they give you great personal service, Shula's is a find. Not only do they have a great restaurant, they have a full health club and spa to work off the calories. If you stay here, book a room on the Signature floor.

Stayed December 2007
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

I read so many good things about the hotel that I expected Great service, and instead received POOR service. I asked for assistance with activities and received a poor service, then I asked to speak to the GM and the front desk didnt want to tell me his name, and when they did, the guy would not come out of his office to speak to me.

This place has 2 hotels, one is a golf club with rooms, I went there for dinner and the only things I was impressed with was the bill.
I stayed at the hotel on main street, I am a consultant for Johnson & Johnson and travel to Miami many times for work. This people will treat you like a king if you say the company name, but when they dont know who you are they can care less. if you stay here dont ever dare to visit the desk past midnite, you will be ignored.
I was not happy and i wouldnt go back, even if my company begs me and pays for my stay.

• Liked — Not having my newspaper delivered any of the mornings I stayed
  • Disliked — The pink female room they had me in, and the poor service, someone needs to do something.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Elmira, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

When we arrived at the hotel an hour later than what was scheduled on our itinerary, we were informed that 65 rooms were requested for late check-out and that we would not be able to get checked in until after 6 p.m. They made no accomedations for us. We had to use the public restrooms to change into lighter clothing because we flew in from the north, The only thing that they did for us was to store our luggage. Luckily we had reservations for a rental car that we were able to use and occupy ourselves with. When we returned to the hotel after 6 p.m., the clerk told us the two rooms that we were to have (which were supposed to be near each other) ended up being one room on the first floor and the other room on the second floor of another building. The rooms were adequate. There was no conditioner or lotion in our bathrooms the two days that we stayed there even though we saw them on the maid's carts in the hallway. On Sunday evening, we requested a late check-out for Monday because our limo would was not scheduled to pick us up until 3 p.m. We were told that it would be impossible because people needed to be checked in at that time. We then reminded her that we had to wait over 3 hours to be checked in when we arrived on Saturday. The clerk then said she would have to speak with the manager and we stated that we wanted to speak to the manager. When we talked to the manager she was very adamant about us checking out at 2:30 p.m. or we would be charged. We reminded her that we had to wait over 3 hours to get checked in and we stated to her that we would definitely be out of there by 3 p.m. because that was our pick-up time to be taken to the airport. As it turned out, we checked out before 3 p.m. because the limo driver arrived early to pick us up. On Sunday evening we ate at the Shula Steak 2 at the hotel. The food was very good but the service was very slow. It took a long time for our drinks and food to come and the restaurant did not seem to be that busy with patrons.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shula's Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!