“What happened” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
south florida
“What happened”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

The first time we went to this Restuarant was about two years ago and everything seemed nice. The location is a little sketchy but the ambiance was good and the food was okay. We had oxtail, fried chicken, greens, and rice and peas. It was nothing to rave about but it was okay. We decided to try this place again a couple months later and the food was horrible. The food tasted like leftover/reheated. It was lunchtime and the place was actually desserted. Just this past weekend we drove by and there was a for sale sign at the front. Did not surprise me. You cannot skip corners and offer sub par food and expect to be succesful.

• Visited November 2010
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

southeast
“Southern Food in Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Mahogany & Grille has a very trendy look and feel in the restaurant. A friend recommended this restaurant during our travels to Miami. It is a must try! The food was good and the service & staff were extraordinary!

If you're interested in tasting good southern cooking in a wholesome and trendy atmosphere, I recommend this nice spot! Good food, good eating, good fun!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Houston
“Bad service + Bad food +BAD IDEA”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2007

We had a large party of 38 people. The restaurant assigned us one waitress until we complained about slow service. The food when it eventually got there was mediocre at best. Stay away from the oxtails. It took over half an hour to get our check after making several requests. To date, I am still waiting for the dessert menu that I requested.

The only nice part of this experience was the live music on the bar side of the restaurant.

GREGORYBEN
“The Best Meal in Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2007

We were in Miami for a cruise in August 2007, and we needed a real good restuarant for dinner. So we reserved Mahogany Grille on the internet; before we arrived in Miami from Virginia. We needed a place that could satisfy 12 different tastes: Ranging from 2 finicky kids, a teenager and 2- too hard to please senior citizens. Mahogany Grille is owned by former baseball star Andre Dawson, and is located about 3 or 4 miles from the freeway. We arrived about 6:30 and the place was empty. This was a bad sign, but we noticed that it filled up quickly after we arrived. Other than that, I must say that Mahogany Grille surpassed all my expectations. The staff was friendly and the dark wood decor was beautiful. But the star of the show was the food. This is the best down- home cooking i ever had in a restaurant. The food is recipes from his late mom, and reminded me of my mother;s cooking (which is great).
I had the shrimp- grits- sausage with gravy, and it was perfect. My wife had some great fried chicken served with some delicious mac and cheee and collard greens (great sides). The food was very good with big portions, to much for my wife to finish her meal. So i overate and enjoyed her meal also. I also tried my niece's crab and corn chowder soup, that was great. My brother in law's St. Louis' ribs were perfect also. Oh yeah, my sisters crab cake was delicious...haha
Yes, we all shared each others meals, because you want to try everything on the menu. I cant wait til I get back down to Florida, so I can make another stop at the Mahogany Grille. Even if im in Orlando...(which is a few hours away)...haha