“Average price average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

You added El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21485 NW - 27 Avenue, Miami Gardens, FL 33056   |
Miami, Florida
“Average price average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Although I just stayed here one night I must agree with previous reviews as far as the smell my room was on the 5th floor and as soon as I stepped off the elevator it was a smell of old, musty carpet with a hint of cigarette smell... YUKK! also they don't have any standard rooms with just 1 bed you have to upgrade to get 1 bed instead of 2 even if through were you booked you specified 1 king bed which was my case, so if your traveling with a significant other keep this in mind. We were charged also for resort fee which I didn't understand why as this is a hotel not a resort which for the night that we were there didn't even include breakfast.

The room was pretty clean, the bathroom as well, the sink did have some soap mildew which with a clean wet towel would have been just right which leave me wondering what else they just dont clean 0_0.....

Other than the above everything else was ok... hotel check in is a little slow but they're pretty friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
William21485, General Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Hello Rosa,
The hotel feels we do a good job with clean rooms and very competitive prices. Sorry for any inconvenience you have expressed. We are a budget hotel with a clean maintained facility to offer to our guests.

Regards,

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Hollywood, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We needed to stay over in Miami Gardens area after returning from our annual cruise to attend the funeral of a family member who was killed in a motorcycle accident while we were at sea.

This property is adjacent to the Calder Casino and Race Course (formerly Calder Race Course). The El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, once a Holiday Inn, was a “colossal disappointment”.
1. The continental breakfast was filled with stale pastries and flies
2. The bed linens and bathroom towels were frayed, dingy and worn thin from overuse
3. The 5th floor reeked of cigarette smoke
4. The bathroom had not been cleaned and a used bar of soap was left in the soap dish
5. The furnishings and décor were deeply rooted in the 70’s
6. Well dressed and groomed, and in several instances the attire was quite provocative;
we observed a noticeable number of hourly guests coming and going through the hotel’s
lobby
7. The daytime desk personnel and a gentleman from maintenance were two positives for this
Miami Gardens, Florida property. These lovely individuals were pleasant, professional and
very personable

We felt the hotel to be an unsafe and unsavory environment for our young grandchildren (13, 14, 15 and 16). In fact we would not allow them to enter the building’s lobby without an adult from the family to accompany them, especially after 11 o'clock pm.

Room Tip: We noticed that when the elevator stopped on several of the floors, we were able to smell cigarette...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Jeanie,
I would like to first say sorry for the loss of your family member. As to respond to the many complaints expressed the hotel does everything possible to supply a safe clean environment here. We have security here and also a police station on our property. Although the hotel is dated we do keep it well maintained and clean. Thank you for the nice staff reviews and we do appreciate your honesty. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have had.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I just needed a place to sleep, shower and change clothes. The property was clean and the staff was friendly and courteous. Our room was in need of an update but clean. I was not disappointed because the rate was very inexpensive....especially for Miami. The continental breakfast was very sparse but the coffee was plentiful and good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Auntiemame1946,
Thanks for the review and giving your experience. Our prices are nice and competitive and we keep our hotel clean and hope that people as yourself enjoy what we have to offer. Hope to see you return to the hotel.

Regards,
Sumter, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I recently experienced death in the family and traveled to Florida. I wanted to stay close to my relatives so needless to say, unfortunately this is we're I ended up. After being on the road for 11 hours I was exhausted so I checked in and called it a night. That next day I looked around and thought to myself this room is not worth the $100+ I paid per night so I looked up the rates online. The rates were $40 cheaper online. When I inquired about this at the front desk I was told that is was nothing that could be done to get the price difference. I thought it was ridiculous for the price difference to be so drastic. I have never experienced a situation like this...the customer service was horrible and I will contact the corporate office.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hello VL1981,
I am sorry for the inconvenience you have expressed however our walk in rates are higher than any promotional rates that we put out and that are on several websites. You would have to pre book to get any promotional rates. I hope you visit us again and book early to grab a promo that is going on. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards
Altamonte Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed her to attend an event at the Sun Life Stadium. The room was nice. Front desk staff was very nice and informative. View on the race track and casino side was nice. The room had a balcony that overlooked the pool. Decent breakfast. Close to Sun Life, but not close enough for me to walk. Housekeeping was a bit strange. One cleaned the room and another restocked the towels. If in a room with 2 queen beds, one would think they would leave at least 4 set of towels.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony overlooking the race track.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the kind response and letting us know you had a good visit. we look forward to you returning to El Palacio in the future.

Regards
Hauppauge, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We recently booked a one-night stay at this hotel and unfortunately went with a nonrefundable rate. Within 24 hours of our reservation date we had to rush a family member to the hospital and therefore had to cancel the reservation. We explained the situation to the hotel manager, Joanie Ross, and offered to provide her with the hospital documentation as proof. We asked Ms. Ross if we had any options available to us rather than losing our money completely. We suggested taking a credit for a future stay, at which time we would lengthen our booking by at least two additional nights. We were informed by Joanie Ross that she would only comply with that request if we selected a future date before the end of the phone conversation, which is all but impossible. She informed us that the hotel had problems with bankruptcy, so she adamantly refused to assist us any further. She said that her policies are final and unwavering. Ms. Ross is in a service-oriented business. Not only did she lose money on this deal, she also lost a customer and any future business from everyone we know. I would rather sleep in my car than stay a single minute in Ms. Ross's hotel. She did get our money, though, and I guess that's all that matters to her.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
William21485, Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello Mr. Penny Wise-Pound Foolish,
The hotel apologizes for the inconveniences you have expressed. We apologized as well in conversation to you and did make an honest effort to remedy this unfortunate situatation. It just did not meet your approval. Again we apologize.

Avon Park, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. This was my third year staying at El Palacio during the Jazz in the Gardens. They will see me Next year in March 2014. I like cause the Hotel is so close to Sun Life Staduim since that is where the concerts was held at. It was inexpensive and quiet. Me and my friends will dedfinitely stay ther again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Ms.Takia,
Thank you for sharing this review and being apart of Jazz in the Gardens weekend. The Jazz is always a very busy time here at the hotel but very exciting as well. We enjoy hearing about guests as yourself that have a great memorable time with us. We look forward to March 2014 Jazz. See you on your next return visit.

Sincere Regards,
GM

Been to El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!