“3 Stars? um, ok.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Miami Gardens
Arlington, Virginia
“3 Stars? um, ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

So we got this hotel via Travelocity's Mystery hotel booking. Let me tell you that if you choose this option for South Florida, you'll likely get this hotel. Had I known this is what "3 stars" is, I would not have booked it. They also have an additional hotel fee which is outside of what you pay via Travelocity..not cool.

It looks and is dated, think Miami Vice salmon color decor. The room was basic (clean), but had two of the hardest stone tablet-esque beds. My wife came home with lots of back pain. The internet was very slow (at least it was free). I was expecting a gym, but they got rid of it.

They host conferences/events on the top floor, and we experienced a loud evangelical event on our first night. It certainly would have continued if I would not have complained. Think of your hotel guests if you're going to allow a very loud event in the evening. They did take care of it, and did not hear any more of it.

The positives I have for it: 20 minutes from Miami and Fort Lauderdale/next to the turnpike/ plenty of parking/ a police hub at the hotel.

Sorry folks, I will pay more next time and stay at a better place. Thumbs up to the staff for being friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: Look at the calendar of events; the event hall sits at the top floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
William21485, Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Hello Guest,
I apologize for the stay not meeting your standards. I thank you for the compliment to our staff. I wish you could of told us that you were unhappy with your room and stay so we could of tried to move you or had a chance at supplying your needs.

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Kearny, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I love to stay in one of the Kingside Track rooms where you can see the jockeys training their horses in the early morning before dawn. It overlooks the outdoor swimming pool, and in the distance you can see the stadium where the Marlins play home games. The former fitness room was removed to make more room for people eating breakfast, which is included in the room price and includes fresh fruit, a few cereals, toast, and drink. The rooms are sufficiently large to make it comfortable to stay there to use the internet connection, which varies in strength from room to room. If you are a casino fan, which I am not, there is one within easy walking distance. The staff are always friendly and helpful at all times of the day and night.

Room Tip: The Kingside Track rooms on a high floor are best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you again for your outstanding review and support towards our staff and hotel. We appreciate your thoughts and review and always look forward to your next stay with us.

Regards
Gainesville, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel was exactly what we wanted for our stay in the North Miami area. We chose this hotel for the price, location, and overall customer satisfaction for the hotel. The staff was very friendly, parking was not a problem, and we had a wonderful experience. We would gladly choose this hotel again for our next trip to the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
William21485, General Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hello,
Thank you for the nice response and expressing your good experience you had at our hotel. We are grateful for the review and look forward to your return. It was our pleasure having you.

Double Oak, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was in room 612 for BCS champ weekend. Our stay was excellent. The
room was nice for my brother and I and the walk was great to the
stadium. Everything was "as advertised". I made my reservation back in
April since I was not affiliated with either of the teams. The walk to Sun Life took 22 minutes. Walk to casino took about 6 minutes. On BCS weekend, this hotel was the hub of local activity (not including the stadium parking lots, of course). StubHub pickup table was set up in hotel driveway starting early morning on game day. Live band followed and overall a great game day atmosphere. Loved the 9th floor sports bar. The staff was EXCELLENT. Yes, it's an older hotel and I must say my shower drained slower than I would have liked. Not much around if you don't have a car (KFC was a 10 minute walk). No other food places close. But AC worked great, view from balcony was awesome, and facility was aged but up to par. I was concerned looking at some of the reviews. But with some people so picky and others quick to complain, you have to wonder. I'll just say this: If you are going to an event at Sun Life, you don't want to drive, you enjoy playing slots and you want an excellent sports bar on site, stay here. Cab fare was $41 back to FLL airport....about 30 minutes away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
William21485, General Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
It is a pleasure to read your review and have you express such true things. Your review hits things head on and is most helpful for future guests to be educated. We thank you for taking the time to post and we hope you visit us again in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

All if the above and even provided a shuttle to and from the game at a reasonable price! I highly recommend this hotel if you are going to attend a game at Sun Life Stadium. You also ate in walking distance to the casino and horse race track . Great experience and a great time. ROLL TIDE!

• Stayed January 2013
William21485, Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Great! Great! and Great!! This is what we like to hear. Sincere thanks from the entire El Palacio Staff. We love to hear of this success. Hope to see you visit us again.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

A friend & I stayed here while in town for the BCS National Championship. We chose this hotel based on proximity to Sun Life Stadium. When we arrived we saw fans of both teams everywhere. There was live music in the drop off area. We were given a welcome package of oranges, postcards, chocolate, honey, & a sun visor. There was a vendor in the lobby selling game merchandise & drinks were also available. Right away just a fun, welcoming atmosphere. The rooms were basic hotel rooms but certainly had everything we needed & were clean. The bathroom was well stocked with namebrand toiletries. We did not go to the breakfast area. Legends Sports Bar was nice to grab a drink & enjoy the view but food service was slow. The pool area was clean & relaxing. The minigolf area is nicely landscaped & just on the other side of palm trees from the pool. It is a very short drive to the stadium. When we returned from the game it was very late. We were pleased to see security both in the parking lot & in the elevator. The staff at the El Palacio was very friendly & helpful. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for all the great compliments. The staff enjoyed the many guests. We had a great time for the BCS Championship game and we look forward to future games. It was our pleasure having you here at El Palacio Sports Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I returned home (Fort Lauderdale) from a two nights stay for the BCS Championship game. I booked this room a few months ago, not knowing at the time if Notre Dame would be invited to the BCS game. I wanted a place to stay as close to the Sun Life Stadium as possible and your hotel was selected after my Google search. After reading the reviews of the hotel, I was scared for my life, as well as my friends, that also stayed with you from South Bend, Indiana. Reviewers said they were robbed, the hotel was dirty and needed a face-lift; we talked to numerous people that live here who have stayed with you – all with negative remarks. Nothing could have been further from the truth.

Our room was wonderful (#108) and the excitement with StubHub and the Police being right across the hall from our room was incredible. The hot tub was the deciding factor after viewing the room selection and the fact that we could get a ground floor smoking room with a terrace was made to order. The staff was so patient and friendly and even tried to boost our spirits as we were leaving, knowing we were the losing team. I can’t say enough good things about El Palacio.

I am a Hampton Inn lover; these were the best three days we’ve had at a hotel that wasn’t a Hampton. I highly recommend El Palacio.

Room Tip: Ground floor w/terrace, hot tube in room for smokers - made to order!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this great review. The staff appreciates your kind words. We are glad to see what an awesome time you had and that we met your needs. We look forward to your return visits.

GM

Been to El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!