“Remains an excellent value with friendly, helpful staff.” 5 of 5 stars

El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21485 NW - 27 Avenue, Miami Gardens, FL 33056   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Miami Gardens
Kearny, NJ
“Remains an excellent value with friendly, helpful staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at El Palacio several times. On our last visit, we were surprised to see several 20-year-old cheerleaders in the lobby practicing for an audition for one of the local sports teams. They serve a nice basic breakfast each morning and there's a cute mini-golf course in the back behind the swimming pool. My favorite rooms overlook the track where you can watch racehorses working out in the early morning. The staff is always friendly and helpful and we have gotten to know several of them over the years.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the track is most interesting.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Thank you for your professional and effective service during my daughters wedding 5/19/12. Special thank you to Gelin and team for going beyond the call of duty. The food was tap class and the staff greated with a smile. Many of my guests asked and was impressed by your services. I will continue to tell people about the part you played in making that special day even more special. thank you from the Samuels and Johnson family.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
West Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the El Palacio in Miami Gardens FL. The sunrise and sunset from the balcony window was so beautiful as I laid in my bed. The staff is very friendly and helpful whenever you need anything. It is also close to shopping and resturants. I will be staying there again on my next trip.

Trevose, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

By far the most horrible hotel I have ever seen. Our first room had an issue with the heat and our second room they transferred to was even worse. There was dried urine all over the bathroom floor and toilet and a used toothbrush in the sink. I checked out after they didn't offer to clean it up or anything. They also said they would refund me but lied about that. The next morning I called for the manager and I just got the run around. I stayed there for the Orange Bowl and all the locals I ran into told me what a scam this place is. Don't judge the hotel by the pictures. The carpets are stained and nasty throughout the whole hotel. Stay in Miami, DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not stay here, all the room are nasty.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
William21485, General Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
Management disagrees with this review. This guest stayed here back in January for our National Orange Bowl Event. The hotel was completely sold out and the policy for cancellation was 21 days out from the event for full refunds. The guest tried to cancel the day of arrival which was 1/3/2012 and demanded a full refund. Our policy was clearly stated. As the guest entered the hotel not wanting to be here, he found every excuse to get out of this prepaid National event reservation. The hotel took it upon ourselves to actually give him one night refund which was issued 1/4/2012 per our records. This apparently was not good enough and this guest continued to complain and make untrue comments about urine on the floor, toothbrushes in the sinks, and air conditioners not working. It has been 4 months since this took place and the guest is upset because he did not win the chargeback that he tried to get thru visa. We were made aware of the guest not getting the additional night refund by visa on 3/26/12. We clearly feel we went the extra step by refunding 1 night back on this very busy and sold out event. Again our cancel policy was very clear. Please read all of our guest’s comments on this page and visit our website to further validate what a great time Orange Bowl guests had here at the hotel. We had very satisfied guests, fun atmosphere, with clean accommodations.
Wilton Manors, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

The rooms are very clean and spacious. The staff is extremely friendly. I love to stay at the hotel often because of its location to the casino, stadium and the Florida Turnpike. The amenities they have are great the pool area is awesome as well as the gym and the mini golf course they have. I must say this is one of my favorite hotels in South Florida.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Saint Lucie
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

Have been staying at this property since it was Joe Robbie Holiday Inn,However,last stay proved unpleasant as the mattresses are now virtual "Cots"..low to the floor and "Bad"

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
William21485, General Manager at El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 20, 2012
Sorry for the inconvenience with the beds. We replace our bedding on a regular basis. I would really like to know the room number you stayed in so we can change the bedding in question. We appreciate your feed back and hope you visit again.
Thanks
GM
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I know that the hotel claims to be a sports hotel & conference center but I think they got a little carried away with the sports theme and decided that the any knowledge of service related to business was better kept to a minimum.
After checking in and paying a resort fee for a non existent resort was a small price to pay but in principle was a bit annoying. Then to be met with what could only be described as an old gym locker room smell before I even got off the elevator to go to my room was a bit disconcerting. It didn't get any better in my room. There was hair in my sink and bathtub. Fortunately I've learned to travel with Lysol wipes. The shower had rust around the drain and overflow outlet. I wasn't sure if the sink's faucet had been wiped down recently because there was all kinds of water and soap spots before I wiped it down. Okay...I'm a bit of a germ-a-phobe but I do try to give a bit of a break on somethings but basic cleanliness isn't too much to ask.
There were no tissues even though there is a slot in the sink's counter for one. The bed was comfortable and the linen seemed quite fresh and clean. The pillows were flat and really had seen better days. On my way out to spend sometime with friends I stopped at the front desk to ask that extra pillows be left in my room, the desk clerk asked me to wait a moment and returned with 2 pillows ,slightly better but barely, for me to take up to my room before I went out. Seriously? I wondered if I was going to have to do laundry next! The towels.......I've seen better towels at a mid priced gym!
The next morning despite having a "do not disturb sign" on my door I was disturbed by the housekeeping manager who was under the mistaken impression that I was late checking out although I still had 2 days left on my reservation! When I went down to the front desk they were a bit confused but got it corrected.
When I asked if they had a business center I was met with confused looks. I literally had to explain that I wanted to know if they had a computer and printer for guest use if needed. Isn't this where the knowledge of a Conference Center would come into play?
The "fitness center" definitely lived up to the "use at your own risk" sign just outside the door. The unbalanced machines that wobble on the uneven tile flooring is dangerous. IThere didn't dare go for near the pool after that.
If you indulge in the "continental breakfast" my advice is to bring the tray from under your ice bucket downstairs with you so you can bring your toast, muffins, cereal, coffee and/or juice back up to your room. There are only 3 tables and 4 - 5 chairs to use in the "breakfast nook". The bathrooms in the adjacent alcove were out of service and didn't seem like they were going to be repaired anytime soon.
I stil don't know where the resort or the spa were. If the spa was supposed to be the 2 shiatsu massage chairs in the lobby I think someone needs to learn what a "spa" means as well as resort.
When asked if they knew of any other restaurants than theirs , which was closed Sunday - Wednesday, (C'mon really?) nearby or restaurants with delivery in the near vicinity I was met with blank stares. Same thing when I asked if there was a Walmart or supermarket nearby. Walmart turned out to be about a mile down the road.
I think this is enough to let you know that I will NEVER stay at this place again!

Room Tip: Good luck finding one.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
It clearly seems we did not meet any expectations of yours and we do apologize for all the problems you have experienced. We have properly passed to each department all of your complaints and these issues will be taken care of. Thanks you for your honest response.

GM

Been to El Palacio Sports Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!