“Nice rooms but slow and random service” 3 of 5 stars

Miccosukee Resort and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   500 SW 177 Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33194   |
Ranked #144 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Riga, Latvia
“Nice rooms but slow and random service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel/casino is on the outskirts of Miami. We did not gamble but we were visiting Everglades and this was the closest hotel to Tamiami Trail entrance of Everglades, so, we stayed there for one day.

Building is a somewhat ugly highrise which does not really fit into the environment. Rooms were quite nice, good-looking and well furnished. We had a small problem with the bed which cracked when I first sat on it (and I am not overweight). The bed did not break down and was usable but, from that moment, one corner was lower than the other corners.

The front desk staff was very friendly. The service was, however, quite random. When we asked for a crib for a 1-year old baby, it took housekeeping more than hour to bring them. When we ordered the food from room service, it also took more than an hour. (The food was good and
very reasonably priced for room service, though.) In both cases, the wait was long enough for us to start wondering whether we were forgotten. Also, we booked a nonsmoking room but, due to some mixup, the hotel ended thinking that we requested a smoking room.

We also had trouble with finding parking. The hotel has several free parking lots but it was all taken by casino guests and, after circling through the parking lots, we ended paying $5 for valet parking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Fincastle, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The hotel was very nice, room and bathroom were clean and comfortable. To get to the front desk for check in you had to pass the casino which is full of cigarette smoke. To get to the non smoking game room, you had to walk through the smoking rooms. The clothes I wore in the non smoking part had to be put in plastic bags to keep the fumes off the clean clothes in my suitcase. Other than that, the hotel and restaurants that I ate in we're very nice. I would never say don't go there, just be aware of the smokers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Homestead, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My wife and i went to stay the new years eve to the miccosukee casino to be direct i will say: terrible checking process, the cashiers at my bank are more pollite, the room was great even I have to get there without a bellman or any body to at least show me the way. then i try a snack restaurant at the first floor, terrible mistake I got the wrong order and almost have onions at my burguer after i explicitly explain about my allergy twice to the attendants as if i was joking(especially the line cook).
at that point i think to myself averibody could make mistakes and probably the gest service is not a priority here. . then i went to the concert, i got a quick accomodation and the server came promptly to my table, i did tip him in advance with $20 , an ordered a botlle of absolute vodka
with ginger ale... instead i got cramberry and orange juice. that was the last time i saw Israel our server . to get ice for my vodka i have to walk twice to the bar where the cptain of the servers treated me worst than my server, other walk to change the juices by ginger . Finally the food was served by a very good looking female server ,but i hardly could eat ,the salad was dry, probably prepared two days before as well as the great steak wich was cold and hard ,probably was sealed and prepared at the same time and then was sended to the refrigerator since the 29.is a shame, such a good piece of meat served overcook and cold.Probably the hotel do not have enough hot boxes. The executive chef should consider renting some hot boxes to serve the food at least hot.
. . The dessert was great, a very good tiramisu, .Thanks god we only paid $200.00 for each plate and one hour concert plus the $100.00 of my vodka and the $200.00 of the room. the waiting time was longer than the concert ,well this things happens, only once. as an hotel i hope you are a very good casino.we did call twice room service, not answer. great beds, nice rooms. My emai is rimuro@hotmail.com my name is Ricardo Munoz, my web page MuroRoofing tradinginc, just in case you do not believeme...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is located at the border of the Everglades. We had a newly refurbished room, very modern and stylish. Very comfortable bed and good, clean bathroom. However, the hotel is also a casino were smoking is allowed, which for us was not pleasant. We had dinner in the fine dining restaurant, the food was great and the staff friendly. We ordered room service for breakfast, which was good. Staff at the reception could be more friendly and helpful. Wifi is charged per device.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

$150 dollars plus tax, room was very average had to use Credit Card to have a safe. We were visiting the everglades so not much choice. Casino full of smokers no where else to go, & to top it off $9 for internet, the hotel we were staying in at st pete's had free, go figure

Room Tip: Try & find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I recently read the story of Miami Beach putting up no-parking signs and then towing the cars that were parked under the newly placed signs. I have an idea that I know where the brain behind that maneuver is working now-- at the Miccosukee Resort and Casino on Krome Ave in Miami. He's the newly hired Sales and Catering Manager!

The Sales and Catering department historically has been the most non-responsive group of people I've ever worked with in my decades-long career. The Casino had a good meeting and event space upstairs where the air was always fresh, but it has always been next to impossible to book. All indications were that severe understaffing was the issue. But alas, they are feeling the pinch--what with tax auditors burrowed in for the long haul in the hospitality suites upstairs and the economy in the dumps. They have hired a new Sales and Catering Manager and a Sales Coordinator, tripling the previous staff of one. The new Sales and Catering Manager is dam well going to change the place!

How embarrassing for an event director to have clients enter the event space carrying word from the new Sales and Catering Manager that the event has been called off because procedures weren't followed. Then he follows up with a personal visit. While he rants at me (a long-term client) in front of my clients and guests, the employees shrink into the background in embarrassment. His senseless approach to solving problems is a brusque interruption of your event. His new procedures will (without warning) replace the precedents set over the years when there were no procedures in place. Kind of like putting up no parking signs and then towing the cars parked under the new signs before the concrete is dry on the sign posts!

Avoid this event space as the illogical reasoning of 'the new guy' could cast a cloud on your event and a shadow on your career!

The icing on the cake, after all was said and done, the new Sales and Catering Manager attempted to add a service charge to my event room rental. In over a decade of patronizing this space this has never happened. When I challenged him, he said it was customary. However, my previous year's receipts proved that not to be the case. To this date I have not had the overcharge on my bill returned - more than 60 days later!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hotel room was a little better then satisfactory in that it was clean and well maintained. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable. The TV was old and the picture quality was fuzzy. They need to update their televisions to flat screens. We ate at the dinner and the breakfast buffet's. The dinner buffet had ample food and it was just satisfactory. Certainly not what you would expect from a full service casino, although their prices were reasonable. The omlet station at the breakfast buffet was very good but the other food was luke warm at best. The service was also just OK, nothing special. You will not find many of your favorite slot machines at this casino and other than the poker room there are no other card games such as blackjack, craps etc. The overall stay was OK for one night but I don't think I will be returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Miccosukee Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!