“Lovely....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
krbarrow
“Lovely....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I had a great stay...i was in town to attend NCAA first round tournament games with some friends and we decided to stay here. I love Miami and have been plenty times mostly on south beach. This was my first time staying on North Miami Beach and while the nightlife is non existent really close to the hotel the beach is amazing the view from my room was amazing and this would be a great romantic hotel to bring a date for the weekend. The staff was great and i really had no complaints.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (559)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
sava2
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We stayed one weekend at the Eden Roc. We were upgraded to a room with an ocean view, which was very nice. However, the room itself could use some improvement. Despite being in the newly built tower, there were several marks and gouges in the wall. The small magnifying mirror did not feel secure in the wall. No mini bar in the room, and it kindly felt like in was missing a large dresser. There was a nice lounger on the balcony. Also restaurant was not good. We ate at the poolside restaurant and was very disappointed with the food, except for the fish tacos. Also, I'm allergic to gluten, and they had no idea what that was. I expect more from a four star hotel in a major city. Also, the website list self parking at $10/day, but really this is a public lot.

Additionally they charged us for internet (which we got for free with a promotion) and for parking (which we never used). Both were removed without problem, but I felt the front desk attendant was rushed.

And their motto is "To be the place to be." Not quite there yet.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

This review may be more helpful to those trying to decide between the various Marriott properties in Miami Beach. I have stayed now in both the Marriott South Beach and Eden Roc, and I say hands down, Eden Roc is soooo much more beautiful and luxurious. The Eden Roc has the most beautiful pool area, lobby, amenities, and rooms. It is just so first class, and the service is first rate. The decor is sooo gorgeous and so "South Beach," as compared to Marriott South Beach, which feels somewhat "marriotty"...not to say the South Beach Marriott is not nice, but it just has nothing on Eden Roc! As for location....I understand that many people feel they can walk to restaurants, etc, from Marriott South Beach. However, at night, we always took cabs anyway, as we 1) wanted to get there a little more quickly, and 2) were wearing high heels...our cab ride at night was only like $10 anyway.....During the day, we mostly wanted to stay at the pool and beach, and you can do that at Eden Roc or Fountainebleau next door, and it is so much more roomy and relaxing... At night, there's a great bar area and a crazy club, Liv, at Fountainbleau, which, again, is right next door. During the day, for a walk, you can take the boardwalk all the way down along the ocean to the Lincoln Road area and shop, etc. Eden Roc is just so beautiful...I am a platinum Marriott member, and I have stayed at a lot of Marriotts and this is my favorite thus far. I wouldn't even waste my extra points on Marriott South Beach now!! Oh and the mojitos were great! And the fitness center is awesome! Just a wonderful hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

The Eden Roc was a great place to stay. The room I was in was fantastic, modern, comfortable with lots of amenities in the hotel. Customer service was fantastic and I have no complaints. If I ever return to Miami, this WILL be the hotel that I stay at.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

The Eden Roc is a beautiful newly renovated hotel in Miami Beach. The service is great - you cannot even drop a paper without someone running to pick it up for you. The room was spacious and luxurious. We were in one of the tower rooms with a beautiful balcony and stunning view. The shower was fantastic.
The location was ok -but to get to South Beach it was an @ $20.00 taxi ride. What we did like about the location was that it was next to the Fountainbleu which we were able to walk to and explore.
What we liked best about the hotel was the clean, beautiful spacious room with a beautiful view. What we liked least sounds a bit weird - the hallways did not have adequate air conditioning (the air in the rooms was perfect but the hallways were hot!).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Upper Marlboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

We took a family trip to South Beach, and since it was cheaper to stay another day, and the hotel we were originally staying at didn't have any availability, I decided it would be nice to try something new. We've never stayed at that end of the beach before, so it was worth a shot. The website pics were amazing, so I was sold. I also had some points I could use for a free stay.

From the minute the cab pulled up to the hotel, I knew this would be a great experience. The bellmen came and got our bags, welcomed us and told us where to go to get checked in. Check-in was a little slow, but I was okay with that. The lobby was beautiful! I was sure our room would be even better. We booked a partial ocean view room, but since I'm a Marriott Rewards member, we were upgraded to an ocean view room with a balcony! And then came the freebie; we got two free beach chairs. We didn't use them, but it was a very nice gesture. So off to our room we go. When we got off the elevator, the doors opened to a black wall with hundreds of little flourescent blue lights on it. It was a little dizzying at first; I felt like I was going to a disco. But it was very cute. The bellman gave us every detail about the area and the hotel on our ride up the elevator. He told us we were going to love our room and he was right.

The room was very modern, spacious and comfortable. The view was amazing! The bathroom was amazing too, and that shower...I wish I had one at home. I should've taken pictures to post. When you walk in, the foyer is huge, and you step down into the actual sleeping area. Very hot. And this is the "old" building. I can't imagine what the new building looks like inside.

4 pools, 2 jacuzzis, a cabana bar, a grill area, boardwalk, amazing staff...I felt more like I was on an island in the caribbean than in Florida. The wait staff and bartenders at the cabana bar were so amazing. I have never experienced that level of customer service. They truly deserved the mandatory gratuity you have to pay with every meal/drink/etc. The pools were open all night, so it was nice to be able to access everything when the sun went down.

There is also an adult pool, which was a little more adult than I realized. I just thought it meant kids couldn't go because it was deep; and that might've been the hotel's intentions, but some adults take it too far sometimes.

They are still doing some renovations, so I can only imagine how wonderful this place will be when they are done. My husband doesn't care much for vacations and he was speechless after our stay at Eden Roc. He is ready to go back, and so am I. It was the perfect end to our South Beach trip. Next time, I will skip South Beach and head right on to Eden Roc.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2009

We travelled to Eden Roc at the beginning of August for a two week stay. We were pleased to hear, on arrival, that we had been upgraded to a room in the new Ocean Tower due to the length of our stay. We were on the 9th floor of the tower which meant we awoke to stunning views of the beach and ocean.
Throughout our stay the service was excellent overall. The housekeeper was lovely and very accommodating as to not interrupt your day, the staff at the front desk were also very useful overall. We used the concierge service a number of times and found two of them to be very honest and helpful, avoid the other one as she struggled to crack a smile! It is worth asking for their own list of recommended restaurants as we had been disappointed with the lack of variety until he gave us a list of some hidden away. One word of warning - avoid the city and boat tour. They were recomended to us, we only took the boat tour - but were very glad we did! It was poorly organised (not by the hotel) starting with our 40 minute wait to be picked up, our half an hour 'amuse yourself time' waiting for the boat, and then waiting to be collected again. The boat trip was enjoyable but the trip to and from the boat was full of phone calls between the driver and his company sharing obscenities as people were not being picked up.... We were glad we only had half a day of it!!
We ate at the beach bar, Cabana's a number of times, for breakfast and lunch, and again enjoyed the service. Food was good overall. We did not try room service because of the inflated price for delivery, however lunch and dinner at Cabanas were great, particularly because of the view. One piece of advice: if you don't want to be bursting to the brim - either don't have three courses or share! We managed a salad together most days as they fill you up with bread and water as you eat! We also tried breakfast and dinner at the restaurant, perhaps a little overpriced considering we were the only people in there for dinner, yet delicious nonetheless.
On to cleanliness. Overall, the hotel was immaculate. The room was cleaned daily to a high standard and the rest of the hotel was spotless. The furnishings were very stylish and very comfortable surroundings to spend two weeks in. It was good not to have to pay for the safety deposit box, the iron worked well, and the plasma tv was a blessing on one rainy day! We would definately have liked a fridge as an ice box does not suffice, we also missed out on bathroom robes so be sure to request them. We tried for bathrobes from the housekeeper but I am not confident she understood English.
Outside around the pool area was quite clean, however I agree with a previous reviewer that the cushions on sunbeds were stained and unpleasant in places. This did not worry us as it is surely to be expected after people wear suncream and go in salty sea water! The pool area was only really busy on one occasion when a weekend event was being held, but they compensated by providing a grill area so there was no waiting for food and drink. The adult pool was very popular, and the staff were quick to ensure it was just adults which made it the more pleasant place to sunbathe. The lobby and surrounding areas were very well designed and made the hotel feel more than a four star. Remember to check your prices, we found out from a member of the Cabanas team that drinks in the lobby are priced higher than those outside. We used the fitness suite a number of times and always found it to be cool and clean.
The location is slightly out of South Beach so if you are looking for something in walking distance of Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road etc, you may want to consider something closer, however, the hotels we saw en route to the above were much more crowded and noisy so the distance was worth it. We generally hopped on the G,H S or L bus across the road and could get to most places easily and for just two dollars.
The Walgreens store, a ten minute walk from the hotel had most things (apart from fruit) so we did managed to stock up some nibbles for lunch to avoid our room bill spiralling out of control.
Overall, especially compared to European hotels, the actual price of the hotel stay was excellent considering its quality. Our only qualms were with the price of things once you got in - hiring a sun lounger and parasol on the beach, the drinks in the lobby and dinner in an empty restaurant! Other than that, our trip was simply perfect and we cant wait to go again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!