“Beautiful Hotel but less than par customer service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Roc Miami Beach

Save Saved
You added Eden Roc Miami Beach to your Saves list
Eden Roc Miami Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4525 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Eden Roc, a Renaissance Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
30% Off Rates!
Ranked #55 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Birmingham, Michigan
“Beautiful Hotel but less than par customer service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I am a Miami native living in Michigan the last few years. I spent my childhood going to the Eden Roc for "getaway" weekends with my family when we didn't get down to the Keys or Gulf Coast. So I was excited to take my husband and kids for a four-day stay. Beautiful hotel with clean rooms and amenities. The pools were wonderful (4 total but one is adults-only which is good). The upgrades to the hotel were lovely. I would like to give it more stars, but for a high-end hotel, I felt the customer service was awful. For the record we are low maintenance but we don't have any room for rudeness which we felt more than once at the cabana restaurant from the servers. There are two servers there that are quite lovely, but the rest were entirely rude when it came to acknowledging us being there, to serving our food, to even handling our bill which was erroneous. We ate our lunches and one dinner there simply because it was right next to the pool and easy when you have a 5 and 3 year old to feed and you aren't too close (without jumping in a car or 20 minute walk which is a far walk in July with two little ones) to restaurants. The bar tenders were good so no complaints there. The woman who worked in valet who takes the calls when you request your car, is rude beyond belief. After 3 requests for our car where we had to deal with her, my husband and I finally just decided to pay for cabs. The valet manager would just tell me it was a "miscommunication" perhaps when I finally alerted him to our situation. I would have appreciated a simple "I'm sorry you feel that way..." or just amuse me that you even care. Lastly, we requested an extra blanket which never showed up. Simply put, the basic customer service was lacking for such a lovely place. I've stayed at other hotels around the area without any complaints. This is my first ever review so clearly I was bothered by it but still managed to enjoy my stay because we met a lot of great guests and just soaked in the beach life.

Room Tip: It's a good hotel if you have young kids since the pools are shallow (3feet at its most shallow...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
bhyder, Manager at Eden Roc Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
SvM0526,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and for noting our beautiful hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had a couple problems during your recent stay, but we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for that overall 5-star experience you and your family deserve. Please email me directly when you would like to come back and experience the new Eden Roc Miami Beach BHyder@destinationhotels.com.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
spicoli512
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

On business travel to South Beach, I had the opportunity to experience the hospitality of Eden Roc. In the ultra-luxe hotel category, I have to say my expectations for this property were quite high.

The accommodations, common areas, and grounds are what you'd expect with a premium hotel like Eden Roc. You can tell the property managers invest heavily in this area to distinguish the location from more budget accommodations and compete with more pricey alternatives. Eden Roc certainly obtains the South Beach resort atmosphere.

On areas where expectations were not exceeded, I observed management take individual ownership to pursue corrective action. I can tell that Eden Roc is driving their staff to a more customer-centeric mentality. The challenge is balancing the UBER "Miami Moxie" guests expect in a +300/night property with authentic customer service.

While my visit to South Beach this year was business oriented, I'd certainly, return to Eden Roc for personal travel.

In summary, whether you are a movie star or want to pretend to be one for a long weekend, this is going to be the property for you. Arrive with high expectations, and in the event they are not met, just speak up. That's what I did, and that's why I'll be returning.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Spicoli512,

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property! Especially for taking the time to share your recent experience, for noting exceptional service and for recommending us as a hotel that treats you like a "movie star". Please let us know when you would like to return for a personal visit. Email me directly: BHyder@destinationhotels.com.

Warm regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Just came back from a wonderful week at Eden Roc. Twice a year we take our staff to eden roc from our charity for some much needed down time. We typically stay at Eden Roc and the team comes home well rested and ready to help many unserved and under served families. This year, we inadvertently reserved 8 rooms twice and when we arrived, found that we had 16 rooms with no ability to cancel the second reservation. Eden Roc waived the mistake and did not penalize this very weary charity from what could have been a very costly error. This director is very grateful and pleased that my staff came back rested and excited to begin another period of helping needy families. Wow what a wonderful hotel and they care!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
bhyder, Manager at Eden Roc Miami Beach, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Thaddina,

We are happy to have welcomed you back and to have you reviewing your recent stay with us. All those caring words just put a huge grin on our faces! We are happy to hear that everything went off without a hitch and that you all were able to relax, rejoice and rejuvenate! Hope to see more and more of all of you at Eden Roc Miami Beach.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Great hotel, stayed their for new years, the hotel itself is a bit dated but the staff and the overall atmosphere are amazing. A lot more personal than the fountain next door and the staff made my stay extremely enjoyable and easy for such a busy time of year. I will say the hotel was a bit more family themed than expected but still great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
mohapn,

Thank you for choosing Eden Roc Miami Beach for your New Year's stay. We are glad to hear that you found our service to be personalized and to your liking. We wish to welcome you back soon and don't worry about the "dated" factor, new exciting things are coming our way!

See you soon,

Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I strayed from the strip of nice beach hotels to this one during a high season weekend, for a $500 a night rate. The room was actually nice. Balcony was old. The outdoor bar was full of sand and kids at 10pm on a saturday and served from plastic cups. My taxi driver said his credit card machine was broken, so I asked the security supervisor for directions to an ATM. She pointed it out, and then asked me "but do you really have money in the account, you know what I mean?" I was quite offended for my Amex Platinum, but didn't say anything.

The room balcony had only small barrier between us and the balcony next door, and someone got in either that way or through the door and stole cash and my watch. I understand burglaries happen. Management response was horrific all around. They didn't believe my mother at first when she found stuff strewn all over the room and went downstairs. They told her to "go back to the room and wait for security" (What if the guy was hiding on the balcony still? She is 63, come on!) When security guy arrived, he immediately believed her and filed an internal report, but only for her items, since I was absent. When I got back from dinner later that night I called to file a police report and report my own items missing. I was shocked that the hotel front desk hadn't called the police several hours earlier, and when I told them why I called they informed me that "security already took care of the issue." I asked for a manager- "will call you back." he never did, ever. . Only when the police arrived the security supervisor came upstairs (still no manager). The police spent three hours there until 3 am, confirming that somebody got in (foot print). The hotel staff said they will not charge me for anything. I told the hotel that I will be moving out in the morning and spending the rest of the weekend elsewhere. (moved to James Royal Palm, it was great!) In the morning I realized my watch was gone too. Still, no phone call from the manager. I checked out, and the front desk person charged me for the room. I asked for the manager (yet again). He again said everything will be taken care of, and yet he clearly didn't believe me about the watch (it was only a $250 watch, but still). I got home to see charges for not just that night, but the two we didn't stay!!! After several days I called the same manager denied that he ever offered to not charge me. I inquired about the two nights I didn't stay, same answer - he said he had to wait for the hotel insurance claim to go through (which was only $400 total between the watch and the cash) before he could return my $1795 worth of hotel fees (3 nights of which I spent one there). I found the GM's email and wrote them a letter. Soon, another manager called and reversed the charges, although still leaving $236 on for the spa and drinks that we had (while the burglary was going on apparently). I asked about the watch and the claim. Turned out the watch was never added to the claim, and the manager expressed doubt that I would ever get any of the money from the claim (even though I am supposed to). She offered no follow up on the claim and nobody ever said that as soon as they get it, I will some portion of it. I then told her if money for the claim was not forthcoming to me, I would settle for removal of the $236, just to get over the whole nasty story. She agreed. It was never removed, of course. I disputed with Amex and won. The charged it again three months later. I am appalled that every single person there assumed the guest was guilty until proven innocent. I had never seen such appalling behavior even from cheap hotels when I was in college.

Room Tip: don't stay in rooms with adjacent balconies
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Anna,

We had previously spoken and we agreed on a resolution due to the concerning situation at hand and your distress. As the spa charges talk did not happen with me, I would like for you to please contact me at your earliest convenience to speak further about this BHyder@destinationhotels.com.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Just stayed four days. Last night had room service and water glass had a 2 inch sharp piece of plastic in it which I nearly swallowed. It almost went down my throat . Since it was late waited until AM to speak to a manager. I wanted to make sure they cleared ice machine so there were no more pieces that could get into someone else's drink; god for bid even a child's. Front desk unresponsive with no sense or urgency . Person did not even ask if I was okay or apologize . Not looking for anything but an I'm sorry and make sure it won't happen again. I retuned to desk to find a manager who would not even come out from behind the door to say anything. I left numbers I could be reached at. Nobody contacted to ask about the circumstances so that they could make sure it didn't happen again. Unsafe and poor costumer service.

• Stayed July 2014
Fun43,

Allow me to apologize for your unpleasant experience at our property. Everyday we strive to deliver better guest service and I assure you that your experience is not a usual occurrence.

To my understanding, our Director of F&B, Gustavo Gelover personally spoke with you after he got the message leaving a meeting that you had requested to speak to a restaurant manager on your departure. Please accept my apology if this is not correct and for the inconveniences you have encountered.

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to further discuss BHyder@destinationhotels.com

Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Stayed at the Eden Roc last month (June) from Friday to Monday with the girls and had an awesome time! The hotel is beautiful, our room was fantastic! Not much of a view from where we were on the second floor, side view of one of the pools and ocean, full view of lower roof. The hotel pool and hot tub are great! Me and the girls spent some time chatting and drinking champagne in the hot tub one night. The beach access is great, it's right there! We received two chairs with the room and bought two others (bring cash or charge to room). The beach service was delicious and fast! The Pina Coladas were my absolute favorite, one of my drinks had coconut shavings which i absolutely loved! The adults only pool had an entertaining DJ on Sunday which was fun. Two friends ate breakfast at one of the restaurants on site and said it was just ok. Bar snacks i ordered on the beach were great.

It was a quick cab ride to the center strip area/ nightclubs. A quick walk to a liquor store and Walgreens.

Very beautiful hotel and I would definitely stay again. The reason for four stars instead of 5 is because I called our first night to complain about a problem with one of the sink handles and no one ever came to fix it throughout the weekend. Also, I booked the room through a promotion on the hotels website with American Express and they did not give us all the perks that came with it. Some were based on availability like room upgrade and late check out but still, it would have been nice to have received them. Got a great deal on the room though nonetheless. Check hotel website for specials when booking, got a better rate than through other sites like hotels.com, expedia, etc.

I will be back Eden Roc!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!