“A pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“A pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I enjoyed my second stay at the Eden Roc very much.
This time I paid for an upgrade, and although the room was expensive, it was worth the price for a nice suite with an ocean view.
Room service made some mistakes, but they corrected them quickly and to my satisfaction. The food was very good.
My couch had stains on it, so housekeeping could have done a better job.
The beach is beautiful and the staff overall was very nice.
The Fontainebleau is a more attractive hotel(next door), but Eden Roc is a good choice.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer section of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My experience at this hotel was overwhelmingly negative. While there, I heard a rumor that the hotel is a Marriott but wants to break off from Marriott and since Marriott won't let them, they're purposefully being rude to guests so Marriott will receive enough complaints to let them go--and I believe it. For starters, they made me pay for my entire week's stay the first night before checking in. In addition, because I was paying with a debit card, they made me pay a $50 deposit per night should I have stolen a towel or broken anything (there is no mini-bar, so that didn't apply). As I was there all week, this $50 per night adds up. They also said it could take up to 3 weeks after checkout for me to get that money back. The manager claimed this was a Marriott policy even though as a Rewards member I have never encountered it before.

The room I was provided had a balcony, but the balcony door, which is right in front of the bed, doesn't have any curtains or a shade, so my room was as bright as the strip, making it very difficult to fall asleep. Sleep quality was also affected by this really weird mattress pad they had on the bed that was lumpy and a little smaller than the bed so there were ridges all around it that you could feel when you laid down. It was like one of those pads you use for children who wet the bed at night. The bottom sheet also is not a fitted sheet, meaning the bed was short sheeted some nights and that the bottom sheet would come up or off if you turned at all at night. The pillows were huge and made me feel like I was in a hospital bed because they propped your head up so high. The rooms themselves are very empty (think airport hotel empty). The bathroom was larger than my college dorm room but there wasn't a tub. If a bathroom is large enough to have a bench in it, it's large enough for a bathtub.

One note also about the yoga instructor: She is HORRIBLE. Some of the instructions she was giving students could lead to physical injury. She chewed me out in front of the other students when I modified a pose (which if you do yoga, you know is perfectly normal & actually encouraged) because it wasn't exactly what she told the class to do. When I asked her where she had gotten her certification, she made up a fake organization as her answer, meaning she's not certified. Not cool. I wound up practicing in my room the rest of my stay, even though the classes are free, because of the negative experience.

A single positive word: I found that people in lower paid positions, such as the cleaning ladies or the men who brought the snacks for our conference, were very friendly and polite. I just wish management would take a cue from its employees.

Farmingdale, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

the hotel has a great location - but, my room was very dirty, phone was broken and the worst: a very large bug went crawling up the wall! Bed was comfortable - which is important to me - and room was nice. Stay next door at the Fontainebleau - I heard it was better.

Poughkeepsie, New York, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My partner and I met friends arriving in Miami after a cruise and surprised one of them (the other was in on it) by taking them to the Eden Roc to celebtrate one of their birthdays. When we checked in we were asked the reason we were visiting and when I explained it was a birthday outing they bumped our room up to one with an excellent high floor city view. For the price we paid it was an amazing room.

The staff was fantastic and attentive and engaging without being intrusive. We enjoyed lunch outside near the ocean, drinks by the pool and then in the beautiful lobby bar. I love the renovation of this famous Morris Lapidus hotel. I especially liked that they projected episodes of I Love Lucy onto the wall of the lobby near the bar (Lucy and the gang checked into the Eden Roc when the show's plot took them to Miami Beach - an early prouduct tie in).

After coming back from dinner out on South Beach we arrived to a fabulous birthday cake in our room sent by friends from New York. It was delicious and fresh and clearly made just for us.

From the minute we walked in the door to the minute our car was brought around for our departure the experience was perfect. There is a resort fee and parking is expensive. As long as you know that there will be no surprises.

We all loved the Eden Roc and we will return for a longer stay one day soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We love this ocean front property in Miami Beach. The rooms are fantastic (especially the ones with a view) and the hotel grounds are amazing. Lots of pools, jacuzzis, adults only pool, wonderful beach and more! Food is expensive but great. We have really enjoyed each stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed at this property three years ago for the same medical meeting. Perhaps it was the novelty of being on Miami Beach, in a storied setting, which made the first stay a bit magical. But this time around, the rough edges showed through. I stayed again in the renovated older building with a semi-ocean view. The room seemed tired and very Spartan (not Zen simplistic) – the furniture, bedding, and flooring need a facelift. The rainfall shower water pressure was anemic. The elevators are glacially slow. The lobby and adjacent bar are constantly blaring loud music – forget having a conversation and nothing intimate there. The restaurant food was average though the service friendly and attentive, whereas the meeting-related food presentations were excellent. The concierge was also very helpful. There was another major meeting group in the Eden Roc, so catching a cab to dinner was challenging – we ended up walking next door to the Fontainebleau, where the cabs were more plentiful. The boardwalk in front of the hotel has been removed, leaving a rock-strewn stretch. The beach itself remains gorgeous, the water a beautiful aquamarine, and the sunrises sublime. Be sure to check out the Essensia Restaurant in The Palms Hotel at 30th and Collins – we ate outside, and the food, service and ambiance wonderful. Finally, not all cabs take credit card, but there is a published flat rate from/to the airport.

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic! There are ample facilities and the pools and fitness area are wonderful. The rooms are spacious and appear to be updated with furniture.
However, there are clear signs that the updates are merely cosmetic (areas in need of painting and coffee/refreshment areas which don't quite seem to fit into the room space) and the upkeep of the balcony furniture is completely lacking. My balcony furniture had dried bird droppings all over it and there was no way I was going to sit on it, which kind of negates the purpose of a balcony, right? I'm not sure if its just a South Beach thing or what, but the bar staff was completely aloof and didn't want to be bothered with actual service.
Overall, while I absolutely loved the location and some of the amenities, I likely would not return here as the amenities do not justify the price.