“Make sure to get a good ocean view room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Roc Miami Beach

Save Saved
You added Eden Roc Miami Beach to your Saves list
Eden Roc Miami Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4525 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Eden Roc, a Renaissance Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 30% Off!
Ranked #50 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
NYC
“Make sure to get a good ocean view room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose the Eden Roc for its proximity to the beach, and on this, it does not disappoint. We got the Ocean Getaway package and were upgraded to a room directly facing the ocean in the ocean tower (room 1852). The windows faced due east—from bed all you could see was the sea and the sky, it was beautiful. We spent a lot of time on our terrace, listening to the sea.

The service at the hotel was great—everyone was helpful and pleasant and attentive. The beach area was lovely, and you could order drinks and lunch from your beach chair, which was great.

Overall, the hotel’s décor was unimpressive, though. The lobby bar design isn’t cohesive enough to feel as if you’re in a bar- it’s more like a fancy waiting room in a train station. The pool areas are drab, not much to look at, but there are plenty of chairs and the pool side service is fantastic. The room design is fine, certainly not memorable. The spa was nice and not crowded—I spent a few blissful hours by myself in the hot tub/steam room/sauna. Same with the gym- no need to compete for space.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and the buffet was fantastic. Tons of fresh, exotic fruit, healthy and decadent choices galore, all of it delicious. The food overall was good, expensive, of course, but we were happy enough with it.

One big downside was the number of large events/conferences going on at the hotel. Several outdoor areas were closed off at various times, and the lobby/public spaces were filled with business people milling about–which did not promote a resort atmosphere.

Overall we had a great time, and really, really enjoyed the view from our balcony and sitting on the beach. We walked by other hotels and noted that there’s a lot of construction noise all over Miami beach—thankfully we weren’t exposed to any of it at Eden Roc.

Room Tip: In the newer (ocean) tower, rooms 51-53 face the beach directly-- these are the best.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

2,026 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
oklahoma city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Eden Roc last month for the MIami Boat Show. Location is relatively convenient to where the large yacht vendors are but its a cluster to get to the convention center. The common areas of the hotel are nice, there is a Starbucks is the lobby which is convenient.
Our room was ok, ocean view one bedroom suite. The layout it a little weird, but I'm sure that is done to accommodate the view. We generally found the hotel to be just ok.
Where this hotel lacks in comparison to other resorts we have visited is in the customer service department. Room service was a little slow and managed to forget something (plates, silverware, part of the order) each day when we ordered breakfast. And the adjoining room we were supposed to have was rented out to another customer, despite having been promised and confirmed to us. There was no apology, no alternative and no explanation other than it had been given to someone else. That was frustrating. This general lack of customer service may have been due to the hotel being at capacity, but you would like to think that they train to be ready for such an occasion.
One bright spot in our experience at Eden Roc was the beach staff. They were very different from the interior staff, they were cheerful, attentive and friendly. We rented a cabana and were well taken care of while at the beach.
Overall, I would say that our Eden Roc experience was adequate, but not good. I would not choose to stay their again if given a choice I think I would go north to the St. Regis or try one of the smaller hotels closer to South Beach.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and quiter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We used to be regulars at this hotel before the big renos, when the service was amazing and they treated you with personal attention. Back then the staff would know us by name and the veteran managers had an old school approach of making every guest feel welcome. The grounds, pools and rooms have gotten nicer but not the people. With the extra building the place and the beach front has gotten over crowded. My kid told me that he wants to go back to the old Eden Roc which almost broke my heart. I explained to him that there is no more old Eden Roc. Back then I considered this place a five star. The price has almost doubled since the renos (about 5 years ago). You would expect to at least get what you got when the price was $100 less per night which is no longer the case.

Beauty is only skin deep but without a heart it’s not as nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at the Eden Rock for 4 nights while at a conference offsite. First impression when arriving on a Sunday afternoon after over an hour drive from the airport and a very congested valet area is a very noisy, busy central bar, with an understaffed front desk. Had to wait longer than I would expect in a 5* hotel to check in, and the attendant had a very thick hispanic accent which made him hard to be understood. As a Marriott Silver I usually get comped to the next level of room, but not here - had to wait a long time just to get a standard room with a bathtub while the attendant went checking in the back. However he did tell me the $25/day resort fee was optional and if I was not going to use the beach or the bar the $14.99 Internet fee would be a better deal. Internet is not lighting fast, but you can skip the fee if you have Ipass.

Room was very spacious, great bed/pillows and comforter, good bathroom, quiet, but a view over concrete roofs - not a major deal when you come on business. I used room service which was uneven: the same breakfast dish (frittata) was hot and nicely presented one morning, but a gooey lukewarm mess the next day. I can recommend the excellent shrimp, always cooked to perfection, which I had several times.

The staff tries but this is not ultra-luxury service: besides waiting to check in, calling the "delighted to serve" line at 1am I had to wait several minutes for someone to pick up. Trying to locate a package was more complex than it should be because all incoming mail comes in at the UPS store. Great room service staff. Be sure to call to order your car from valet service WAY ahead if you need to be somewhere - on a Monday night I had to wait 20 minutes! For $35/day you expect better service. Valets were uniformely very pleasant and courteous though.

If you are here for a convention this is a short drive or taxi ride to convention center, though a bit North of the action in South Beach. If you can get a room for $250 to $300 it's an OK deal, anything higher you can do better. Not a fabulous experience by any means, but clean, quiet an serviceable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Was here for a convention end of February. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate and it was overcast and chilly for February. The hotel room was nice but by Marriott standards I've been in better. Elevators took a long time to get to the lobby or your floor. What I didn't like was the fact that every restaurant bill (including the bar) automatically added a 18% tip even for 1 person. The first time when I ordered a salad by the pool I didn't know there was automatic tip included and the waitress gave me the copy to sign while holding the itemized receipt (it was breezy) so needless to say I added a 18% tip on top of the automatic tip. The breakfast buffet was $28 plus they included an 18% tip and taxes so final bill was $36. The waitress only cleared away the table.
There was a separate pool for adults which was nice. It was quiet and you didn't have to contend with kids screaming and running around. The beach was ok but it seems, like most of the Atlantic coast, the beach had eroded due to all the hurricanes and there really wasn't a big beachfront.
As respects the convention, the meeting rooms were big, the beverages and buffet meals served had variety and were pretty good. We had a cocktail party outside one night and the food was very good. Big issue with conventions is everyone goes out to eat at night and there are no taxis available. Had to wait 45 minutes to get a cab. So be forewarned if you are at a large convention.
Exercise room had plenty of treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, circuit training machines, free weights and balls & mats. Fairly nice size. They offered exercised classes in the morning at evening. Took a spinning class one night was the only one there so the instructor worked with me as I was a novice. That was nice.
I had a really nice maid for all the days I was there. She did an outstanding job cleaning the room plus whenever she saw me she would say hello and ask how my day was. If I was back in my room for an hour or so, she'd go work in another room as to not bother me. Very considerate. She deserved the room tip I left her every day.

Room Tip: Ask for newer wing. Those rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was here on a company conference. Company paid for the rooms so no complaints about resorts fees, etc which other reviewers are complaining about. The rooms are clean and spacious enough. I was in the new wing and had a room facing the beach and pool - view is fantastic. The room has a jacuzzi bath which I didn't have a chance to use because of my busy schedule. Food for lunch and breakfast was catered by the conference organisers was of good quality but limited in choice an range as compared to what I can find in Asia. The hotel is right on the beach and right next to the beach and next to the end/start of the boardwalk which is good for joggers or people who want to walk to Ocean Drive which is about 3 km (2 miles) away. I used the gym which was decently equipped but what was missing was bottled water which I would carry around the different exercise areas - may this is not expected in the U.S. I had 2 parcels delivered to me for collection at the UPS office at the ground floor near Starbucks (yes, there's a Starbucks in the hotel). Was surprised that I had to pay $6 per parcel but paid anyway.

Miami beach itself as a breach place is not spectacular, you can get better beaches elsewhere. For those who want to shop the nearest mall is Lincoln Mall which is 5-10min away by taxi - costs about $10. It's street mall and not a shopping complex which we Asians are used to.

Overall nice conference venue, nice location, staff were friendly and helpful. I didn't have any nasty or bad experiences. But nothing spectacular.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at the Eden Roc 5 nights for an on-site conference, arriving 2 days in advance for a mini-vacation with my husband. The property deserves the "average" rating, but could bump that up with focus on a few things. Nothing was horribly wrong (I've stayed in dumps all over the world, but such a better job could be done with the resources at hand), but expectations are high with a standard room running $300/night.

Lobby bar? Get rid of the Ashland, VA bartender who thinks it is endearing to refer to a black patron as "high yellow." Please! Food there? Just fine.

Main restaurant? Stunning! See separate review. Amazing. Honestly!

FedEx delivery? Staff in the UPS office was in/out so often that I could not retrieve a package that arrived before we did. It took 4 trips (2 requests to the front desk to please have the box dropped off in the room went unaddressed) and about 36 hours to finally catch the UPS staff.

Pool/beach/cabana? Great personalities! Poor memory. Friendly, although he tried to charge me twice for the chaise lounge. It's a good thing I kept my receipt. There were only 12 or so people on the beach, so crowds were not an issue.

Housekeeping? Fantastic.

Room temp? Tough to control. Common areas (elevators, hallways) were freezing. Conference rooms were quite comfortable.

Spa? Pedicure was on par with that in a strip shopping center, certainly below expectations for a nice resort. Less than half an hour after my pedicure, my husband noticed a couple of flubs. :(

Room Tip: Rooms in the new tower, with ocean-facing views, are gorgeous. We stayed in the original tower and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!