“Decent hotel, but left feeling cheated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Roc Miami Beach

Save Saved
You added Eden Roc Miami Beach to your Saves list
Eden Roc Miami Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4525 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Eden Roc, a Renaissance Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 30% Off!
Ranked #52 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Decent hotel, but left feeling cheated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I don't typically write hotel reviews, but I felt compelled in this instance. I should also note that I live in NYC, and am used to spending a lot on food and drinks. In that context, I will say it's been a long time since I felt like I was being ripped off in such a consistent and blatant manner:

1) We arrive at the hotel. We check in. We are given the room key to our "junior suite". The "junior suite" is in fact a rectangular room with a small couch in the corner and a bed. It's slightly wider than their "standard room". Eden Roc, have you recently flipped through the dictionary for the definition of "suite"?

2) Upon check-in, we are informed that there is a $25/day "resort fee". The "resort fee", which was implied to be mandatory, includes such "perks" as access to 2 beach towels per day, 2 generic bottles of water, and wi fi in the hotel lobby. Eden Roc, has anyone mentioned to you that every single hotel with a pool provides pool towels for free, as part of the room rate? And if you are going to insist on charging for the use of such towels, please kindly make sure they don't have holes in them.

3) As part of the check-in process, we are also given complimentary "welcome drink" vouchers. Later that day, we redeem our vouchers. 2 of the 4 "complimentary" drinks ordered are "specialty", which we are told will cost 'a few bucks extra." We then get a bill for $22, which apparently includes $6 surcharge for each "specialty" drink, plus tax and tip for all of the drinks. Eden Roc, is this how you welcome all of your guests?

4) There is no regular parking space. You have to make use of their $35/day valet service, which requires a 15 minute wait very time you would like to access your vehicle

To be fair, the hotel does have some positive attributes:

1) Modern, streamlined decor. It was recently renovated, and is generally clean

2) The location is relatively relaxed. It's a bit out of the way though, so a rental car is recommended if you want to explore Miami / South Beach

3) There is sufficient outdoor pool / lounge space such that you don't feel the need to snag spots early in the morning

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

2,098 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We went to the Eden Roc in January. It was awesome. The rooms were beautiful, the brunch in the hotel restaurant was a bit pricey but worth it. You can walk up and down the beach with ease and the staff was very polite. It gets very cold here in Texas in January but in Miami the weather was sunny and '70's. Worth noting: You can take a town car from the airport to South Beach for the same price as a cab. One of the trips highlights was going to a chocolatier about a half mile walk from the hotel. Some kosher joint with the nicest people. We tried 4 or 5 flavor and haven't found a tastier chocolate. Better than Godiva. I wish I could remember the name. Great hotel though. Every room faced the water.

Room Tip: Stay above the third floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Moncks Corner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We were in Miami for a wedding and this hotel had a block of rooms for the guests. I made reservations using my AARP discount and got a better rate than the block. I thought we would get a smaller room with no view due to the AARP discount, but I was mistaken. While we were only on the 5th floor, we had a corner room with a wrap around balcony overlooking the pools and ocean. We were in the older section, but the room was completely updated with the large bathroom - with its own oceanview window. The room seemed cold no matter what I set the thermostat on, so I turned it off until bed time and we were fine. The only negative I found was that the carpets were not the cleanest. The staff were all friendly and helpful. My resort fee was waived since we were there for a wedding, but we still had to pay for valet parking. We did not eat in the restaurant because it was too expensive. I took the suggestion of a previous tripadvisor and we took the bus -bus stop right across the street - for 2 dollars to the Lincoln road mall area where there was numerous restaurants and shops. You could eat for a reasonable price or spend more depending on your taste.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Novi, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Had a beautiful room/ suite with awesome view of the pacific. Ocean breeze and sound of surf with the window open. Nothing bettter.

I like the location although a bit off the main hot spot row. Was nice to be in a more quiet area.

Front desk staff was outstanding

• Stayed November 2012
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are regular Marriott customers and used our reward points for the Eden Roc for 5 nights. Our room didn't have a sea view or a balcony so we are a little cynical about room allocations for reward points - you just don't get allocated the good ones! Our room looked towards downtown and the airport and whilst it was a good size, the furnishings and decor were somewhat tired looking. The carpet looked like it needed a good vacuum clean and there was a layer of dust along the top of the skirting boards. This is sloppy housekeeping. The bathroom was a good size with a huge shower recess but there was missing tile grout which looked ugly and it was disappointing to see that such basic maintenance had not been attended to.

The hotel is popular with conferences and there was a big one in town during this particular week so in the lobby and the bar every evening there was a cacophony of noise from the delegates so no relaxing cocktail for us. We couldn't hear ourselves speak! The restaurant/bar beachside was pleasant enough and the staff there all very friendly.

The tour desk service was good and booking out two excursions was quick and easy.

Hurricane Sandy didn't help with our stay there as it was impossible to sit on the beach or by the pool - of course this was no fault of the hotel, just unfortunate timing.

The hotel is located quite a long walk from South Beach but there is a regular public bus service from outside the hotel. There are zero convenience stores within walking distance of the hotel so if you want anything, get it in South Beach and schlep it back to the hotel.

In summary, the hotel standard is better than average but it's not as stunning as you would expect from an expensive hotel in Miami. The internet website gives the impression of opulent luxury but we found it just a little more prosaic than that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had a conference at the Fontainebleau next door and chose the Eden Roc Hotel because 1.) Marriott Rewards property 2.) A very good rate (AAA $207) 3.) Smaller, quieter, less glitzy and more personal than the huge Fontainebleau 4.) A quick safe short walk from the Fontainebleau at night.

I had a basic standard king room #1417 in the older tower with an intercoastal view. Since I was in a conference all day and not in my room much, this room met my needs. Plus I saved $$ with the good AAA discounted rate. Throughout the resort, the staff is warm, friendly and very attentive. I especially note front desk clerk Jennifer and Dorothy at the towel, beverage station by the pool. I am a Silver Rewards member and a room upgrade was not available. Since I was traveling solo and would be in a conference all day and not using the resort amenities, the hotel clerk waived the daily resort fee and included the breakfast buffet a $28 value. I appreciated this gesture. The Eden Roc staff appreciated I chose Marriott over the Fontainebleau. I did squeeze in a walk along the beach before sunset one night. It was a nice beach.

The room was sleek and modern. The shower was large. The bathroom was smallish but comfortable and included Aveda products. One thing, the bathroom lacked --- a hook on the wall to hang a towel or a robe. I kept putting my robe on the little sink counter or the closed toilet seat. The bed was comfortable. Good lighting to read. The air conditioning vent did not blow directly at the bed-- good design-- no drafts. TV had a wide assortment of channels including HBO but no Comedy Central! Quiet and could not really hear my neighbors. I got a great value for my $207 AAA rate. A comfortable hotel room and a friendly overly helpful staff. I am glad I ignored the negative TripAdvisor reviews. Before I left there were questions about the Marriott’s future ownership of The Eden Roc. I hope it stays in the Rewards family. I would return to the Eden Roc especially if coming for a conference and there is a competitive rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. You are bound to get a decent view of something from either tower. AAA disc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just returned from 5 nights at this Marriot property. Some excellent points and some speed bumps to overcome. First of all, the night before I departed for a conference I read a story on Trip Advisor about the owner's attempted mid night takeover of this property in October from the Marriott management group. It was rebuffed with the help of the current staff, police and the courts, but there is a certain tentativeness about the resort experience. Two big plusses are the gorgeous oceanfront location and the very friendly and gracious demeanor of all levels of staff, from the managers, the concierges, to the hotel wait staff to the bellhops. The lobby is very hip and luxe and well apportioned. But where are the shops? There are only 2 in this large hotel, and the main gift and sundry shop did not even carry some of the most basic toiletries. The 2nd shop is affixed to the spa. I was told a walk next door to the Fountainbleu would yield more shops. I was in an ocean front room in the new tower which was large and comfortable and quite soundproof. The biggest concern of the trip was the broken lock on the large glass balcony doors. The balconies are easy to cross over from one to the next so this is a major security concern. While the management was quick to respond and even adjusted my bill since on one occasion it necessitated me getting dressed and awaiting repair men late at night, the fact that it occurred a 2nd time and had to be refixed was not good. Apparently they have had problems with these locks slipping. Also, while the room had a clean look it was not. Some dirty drawers and food on the floor at check in, and then a lack of vacuuming for at least 2 days was apparent. Huge closets in odd long corridor, with only 5 hangers, and nice rattan cushioned furniture on the balcony minus the footstool that they quickly brought when requested, (I noted one on the balcony next door). Newspaper delivery not so good, despite prearranging morning delivery it never once appeared outside my door without calling down to note its absence. Back to the plus side, the hotel is just before the long shaded boardwalk that takes you down to Southbeach in a 40 minute walk. A great fun way to get to town. Their phone service was quite good and it almost always was immediately answered in a helpful way.

Room Tip: Ocean view IS NOT ocean front.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!