“Better than Average but not quite Very Good” 3 of 5 stars

Savings: $120 Daily Value
Ranked #63 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne
“Better than Average but not quite Very Good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We are regular Marriott customers and used our reward points for the Eden Roc for 5 nights. Our room didn't have a sea view or a balcony so we are a little cynical about room allocations for reward points - you just don't get allocated the good ones! Our room looked towards downtown and the airport and whilst it was a good size, the furnishings and decor were somewhat tired looking. The carpet looked like it needed a good vacuum clean and there was a layer of dust along the top of the skirting boards. This is sloppy housekeeping. The bathroom was a good size with a huge shower recess but there was missing tile grout which looked ugly and it was disappointing to see that such basic maintenance had not been attended to.

The hotel is popular with conferences and there was a big one in town during this particular week so in the lobby and the bar every evening there was a cacophony of noise from the delegates so no relaxing cocktail for us. We couldn't hear ourselves speak! The restaurant/bar beachside was pleasant enough and the staff there all very friendly.

The tour desk service was good and booking out two excursions was quick and easy.

Hurricane Sandy didn't help with our stay there as it was impossible to sit on the beach or by the pool - of course this was no fault of the hotel, just unfortunate timing.

The hotel is located quite a long walk from South Beach but there is a regular public bus service from outside the hotel. There are zero convenience stores within walking distance of the hotel so if you want anything, get it in South Beach and schlep it back to the hotel.

In summary, the hotel standard is better than average but it's not as stunning as you would expect from an expensive hotel in Miami. The internet website gives the impression of opulent luxury but we found it just a little more prosaic than that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had a conference at the Fontainebleau next door and chose the Eden Roc Hotel because 1.) Marriott Rewards property 2.) A very good rate (AAA $207) 3.) Smaller, quieter, less glitzy and more personal than the huge Fontainebleau 4.) A quick safe short walk from the Fontainebleau at night.

I had a basic standard king room #1417 in the older tower with an intercoastal view. Since I was in a conference all day and not in my room much, this room met my needs. Plus I saved $$ with the good AAA discounted rate. Throughout the resort, the staff is warm, friendly and very attentive. I especially note front desk clerk Jennifer and Dorothy at the towel, beverage station by the pool. I am a Silver Rewards member and a room upgrade was not available. Since I was traveling solo and would be in a conference all day and not using the resort amenities, the hotel clerk waived the daily resort fee and included the breakfast buffet a $28 value. I appreciated this gesture. The Eden Roc staff appreciated I chose Marriott over the Fontainebleau. I did squeeze in a walk along the beach before sunset one night. It was a nice beach.

The room was sleek and modern. The shower was large. The bathroom was smallish but comfortable and included Aveda products. One thing, the bathroom lacked --- a hook on the wall to hang a towel or a robe. I kept putting my robe on the little sink counter or the closed toilet seat. The bed was comfortable. Good lighting to read. The air conditioning vent did not blow directly at the bed-- good design-- no drafts. TV had a wide assortment of channels including HBO but no Comedy Central! Quiet and could not really hear my neighbors. I got a great value for my $207 AAA rate. A comfortable hotel room and a friendly overly helpful staff. I am glad I ignored the negative TripAdvisor reviews. Before I left there were questions about the Marriott’s future ownership of The Eden Roc. I hope it stays in the Rewards family. I would return to the Eden Roc especially if coming for a conference and there is a competitive rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. You are bound to get a decent view of something from either tower. AAA disc...
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just returned from 5 nights at this Marriot property. Some excellent points and some speed bumps to overcome. First of all, the night before I departed for a conference I read a story on Trip Advisor about the owner's attempted mid night takeover of this property in October from the Marriott management group. It was rebuffed with the help of the current staff, police and the courts, but there is a certain tentativeness about the resort experience. Two big plusses are the gorgeous oceanfront location and the very friendly and gracious demeanor of all levels of staff, from the managers, the concierges, to the hotel wait staff to the bellhops. The lobby is very hip and luxe and well apportioned. But where are the shops? There are only 2 in this large hotel, and the main gift and sundry shop did not even carry some of the most basic toiletries. The 2nd shop is affixed to the spa. I was told a walk next door to the Fountainbleu would yield more shops. I was in an ocean front room in the new tower which was large and comfortable and quite soundproof. The biggest concern of the trip was the broken lock on the large glass balcony doors. The balconies are easy to cross over from one to the next so this is a major security concern. While the management was quick to respond and even adjusted my bill since on one occasion it necessitated me getting dressed and awaiting repair men late at night, the fact that it occurred a 2nd time and had to be refixed was not good. Apparently they have had problems with these locks slipping. Also, while the room had a clean look it was not. Some dirty drawers and food on the floor at check in, and then a lack of vacuuming for at least 2 days was apparent. Huge closets in odd long corridor, with only 5 hangers, and nice rattan cushioned furniture on the balcony minus the footstool that they quickly brought when requested, (I noted one on the balcony next door). Newspaper delivery not so good, despite prearranging morning delivery it never once appeared outside my door without calling down to note its absence. Back to the plus side, the hotel is just before the long shaded boardwalk that takes you down to Southbeach in a 40 minute walk. A great fun way to get to town. Their phone service was quite good and it almost always was immediately answered in a helpful way.

Room Tip: Ocean view IS NOT ocean front.
Daytona Beach Shores, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights from Nov. 10 - 14. We had never visited this hotel before. I consider the service attitude of the employees to be the most important consideration in my review of a hotel. Right up there with room cleanliness and quality. The service attitude in this hotel is the best that my wife and I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Just fantastic.
The room was large and very clean. They allow small dogs for a $100 charge per visit. We took our Yorkie and saw a number of other dogs there. Our dog is pad trained and so we didn't have to worry about walking her. Everyone is very solicitous of the dog. The room was overlooking the pool and beach with a large balcony, (For an extra $50/night charge).
There is wifi in the room which was included with my conference at no charge. (They actually charged this but removed it from the bill with apology as soon as I brought it to their attention.)
We were in the new tower.
The only downside were the extra charges automatically added to the daily bill - $35/day for valet parking + numerous taxes and fees. The original room charge at the conference was $259/day + $50/day that I payed to have an upgraded room with balcony. By the time all of the mandatory extra charges, taxes and fees were added came to over $400/night. I am not complaining, as I would definitely pay this again at this excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Payed $50 extra/night for an upgraded room with large balcony overlooking the pool and beach. I thou...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at Eden Roc for 3 nights. Because of our silver status we were upgraded to a suite overlooking the water (not ocean, inlet). The room was large, king bed, the bathroom was really nice – great big shower and upgraded double sink. Hotel has a great fitness facility. As for the day, sat by one of the 4 pools and the beach was beautiful – but I will say there are NO food options near the hotel. There is a restaurant and a beach bar at the hotel, both pricey, we would have lunch and each get a drink at the beach bar and that tab would be close to $65. That’s just for lunch! SO pricey. We didn’t realize though just how far we were from South Beach – about $18 cab ride (incl tip) to and from which we did each night. The first night we did eat at the hotel – again very expensive! Very nice but next time I would stay at the Marriott South Beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Good location, good premises. And then you get charged the "spa fee" which includes wifi (which was slow and had micro-outages) and beach chairs - but not the parasol ...

At breakfast, you order the American Breakfast - bacon, eggs, very good. Coffee? Ah, yes, USD 4 for coffee. It seems Americans don't normally include coffee in their breakfast.

Why is it that that the higher you go in the hotel chain brands, the more they nickel and dime you?

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Eden Roc has an excellent location, right on the beach with a short cab ride to South Beach. The water is calm with a beautiful blue color. The beach is rather wide and widens even more going south; it is really a nice place to go for a morning jog. The hotel itself is in excellent shape, beautiful pools. The bathroom and shower was huge. The meeting facilities are really nice. I had a few complaints though; my room was in a bad location. I was on the fourth floor, had an ocean view, but could not see any of the beach. They also play some sort of "new age" music in the pool outdoor lobby that thumped in my room from 7AM-11:30PM. I was on business and had to get to bed early so that kept me up. I was also in a room with 2 queen beds but they were put on a frame for a king bed and had a huge corner that jutted out. I jammed my toe really bad on it and was bleeding. I also did not have a mini-fridge, everyone else had one but me. They really overcharge for everything. $25 resort fee that covers only a beach towel chair, I think. $25 for internet access, $10 to print 5 pages, a $10 beer in their lobby. I know it’s a resort in Miami Beach and it seems to be hip to overcharge but it seems a bit excessive. Overall it was a really nice place. Really beautiful.

Room Tip: Get a suite on a higer floor. Stay off of the 4th floor, you can't see much and you hear thumpi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!