“Excellent Oceanfront Miami with Speed Bumps” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eden Roc Miami Beach

Save Saved
You added Eden Roc Miami Beach to your Saves list
Eden Roc Miami Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4525 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Formerly Eden Roc, a Renaissance Beach Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Spring Escape - 25% Off!
Ranked #45 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City
“Excellent Oceanfront Miami with Speed Bumps”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just returned from 5 nights at this Marriot property. Some excellent points and some speed bumps to overcome. First of all, the night before I departed for a conference I read a story on Trip Advisor about the owner's attempted mid night takeover of this property in October from the Marriott management group. It was rebuffed with the help of the current staff, police and the courts, but there is a certain tentativeness about the resort experience. Two big plusses are the gorgeous oceanfront location and the very friendly and gracious demeanor of all levels of staff, from the managers, the concierges, to the hotel wait staff to the bellhops. The lobby is very hip and luxe and well apportioned. But where are the shops? There are only 2 in this large hotel, and the main gift and sundry shop did not even carry some of the most basic toiletries. The 2nd shop is affixed to the spa. I was told a walk next door to the Fountainbleu would yield more shops. I was in an ocean front room in the new tower which was large and comfortable and quite soundproof. The biggest concern of the trip was the broken lock on the large glass balcony doors. The balconies are easy to cross over from one to the next so this is a major security concern. While the management was quick to respond and even adjusted my bill since on one occasion it necessitated me getting dressed and awaiting repair men late at night, the fact that it occurred a 2nd time and had to be refixed was not good. Apparently they have had problems with these locks slipping. Also, while the room had a clean look it was not. Some dirty drawers and food on the floor at check in, and then a lack of vacuuming for at least 2 days was apparent. Huge closets in odd long corridor, with only 5 hangers, and nice rattan cushioned furniture on the balcony minus the footstool that they quickly brought when requested, (I noted one on the balcony next door). Newspaper delivery not so good, despite prearranging morning delivery it never once appeared outside my door without calling down to note its absence. Back to the plus side, the hotel is just before the long shaded boardwalk that takes you down to Southbeach in a 40 minute walk. A great fun way to get to town. Their phone service was quite good and it almost always was immediately answered in a helpful way.

Room Tip: Ocean view IS NOT ocean front.

1,893 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
Daytona Beach Shores, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed 4 nights from Nov. 10 - 14. We had never visited this hotel before. I consider the service attitude of the employees to be the most important consideration in my review of a hotel. Right up there with room cleanliness and quality. The service attitude in this hotel is the best that my wife and I have ever experienced anywhere in the world. Just fantastic.
The room was large and very clean. They allow small dogs for a $100 charge per visit. We took our Yorkie and saw a number of other dogs there. Our dog is pad trained and so we didn't have to worry about walking her. Everyone is very solicitous of the dog. The room was overlooking the pool and beach with a large balcony, (For an extra $50/night charge).
There is wifi in the room which was included with my conference at no charge. (They actually charged this but removed it from the bill with apology as soon as I brought it to their attention.)
We were in the new tower.
The only downside were the extra charges automatically added to the daily bill - $35/day for valet parking + numerous taxes and fees. The original room charge at the conference was $259/day + $50/day that I payed to have an upgraded room with balcony. By the time all of the mandatory extra charges, taxes and fees were added came to over $400/night. I am not complaining, as I would definitely pay this again at this excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Payed $50 extra/night for an upgraded room with large balcony overlooking the pool and beach. I thou...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed at Eden Roc for 3 nights. Because of our silver status we were upgraded to a suite overlooking the water (not ocean, inlet). The room was large, king bed, the bathroom was really nice – great big shower and upgraded double sink. Hotel has a great fitness facility. As for the day, sat by one of the 4 pools and the beach was beautiful – but I will say there are NO food options near the hotel. There is a restaurant and a beach bar at the hotel, both pricey, we would have lunch and each get a drink at the beach bar and that tab would be close to $65. That’s just for lunch! SO pricey. We didn’t realize though just how far we were from South Beach – about $18 cab ride (incl tip) to and from which we did each night. The first night we did eat at the hotel – again very expensive! Very nice but next time I would stay at the Marriott South Beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Good location, good premises. And then you get charged the "spa fee" which includes wifi (which was slow and had micro-outages) and beach chairs - but not the parasol ...

At breakfast, you order the American Breakfast - bacon, eggs, very good. Coffee? Ah, yes, USD 4 for coffee. It seems Americans don't normally include coffee in their breakfast.

Why is it that that the higher you go in the hotel chain brands, the more they nickel and dime you?

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Eden Roc has an excellent location, right on the beach with a short cab ride to South Beach. The water is calm with a beautiful blue color. The beach is rather wide and widens even more going south; it is really a nice place to go for a morning jog. The hotel itself is in excellent shape, beautiful pools. The bathroom and shower was huge. The meeting facilities are really nice. I had a few complaints though; my room was in a bad location. I was on the fourth floor, had an ocean view, but could not see any of the beach. They also play some sort of "new age" music in the pool outdoor lobby that thumped in my room from 7AM-11:30PM. I was on business and had to get to bed early so that kept me up. I was also in a room with 2 queen beds but they were put on a frame for a king bed and had a huge corner that jutted out. I jammed my toe really bad on it and was bleeding. I also did not have a mini-fridge, everyone else had one but me. They really overcharge for everything. $25 resort fee that covers only a beach towel chair, I think. $25 for internet access, $10 to print 5 pages, a $10 beer in their lobby. I know it’s a resort in Miami Beach and it seems to be hip to overcharge but it seems a bit excessive. Overall it was a really nice place. Really beautiful.

Room Tip: Get a suite on a higer floor. Stay off of the 4th floor, you can't see much and you hear thumpi...
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Eden Roc Renaissance for 3 nights during our 2 week Florida vacation.
I have to say that we usually stay at The Palms Hotel view blocks south, but due to the massive construction works next door we decided to avoid it this time.
But this made the hotel search difficult, since The Palms is really perfect.

So glad we finally decided for Eden Roc.
We booked a seaview room in the new tower and arrived late evening.
Check in was smooth and friendy.
First we got a room with side sea-view, most of the rooms face the pool.
Since the aircondition made a strange noise they could not fix, they moved us to anothe room, directly facing the sea.
This was perfect since we love to sleep with open doors, and in the other room music from the poolbar was really loud.
Rooms are really modern, large and nice.
Breakfast buffet every morning was massive, great selection and really friendly staff.

Pool decks are beautiful, one of the 4 pools is adults only, which we loved.

The entire hotel is beautiful, impressive lobby, Starbucks, souvenir shop and UPS store in the lobby.

Overall, Eden Roc was a good choice. Highly recommend it if you dont mind, not to be close to the Art Deco district. We love it, because its much more silent, and only 10 minutes drive down there.

• Stayed November 2012
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night. They upgraded our room to a wrapped around balcony on the 9th floor which was very nice and HUGE and gives a great view of the beach and the resort. The room itself was so big, the entrance to the room we stayed in was very spacious with tile floor. Then there were cabinets, sink, empty fridge and microwave which was perfect for us since we had a child. There were a few steps to get down to to the carpeted area where the bed, desk, tv were. The bed was so comfortable I didn't wake up till morning. Slept for 8 hours straight.
There is no free parking at this property. I think valet cost $30 something dollars. I think there is a $48.00 charge to use the sauna that to me should be free. There is no concierge lounge for Marriott Platinum members because this is a resort, so all they get is free internet. But then again they upgraded us to the wrapped around balcony room because we are Marriott Platinum member. Oh, also there is a $25.00 RESORT FEE that you will have to pay, ($17.00 if you are a Marriott Platinum).

They provide Aveda toiletries which has nice smelling shampoo. Their bathroom was spacious too. The shower was a bit confusing and not very self explanatory. You will have to play around with it for a while to get the hang of it. we asked the staff who delivered some items and he too didn't know how to use it. At least it has a huge bath tub and comes with bath salt. Toilet is separated and has it's own door. Very contemporary, none of that granite countertops for a change.

So it was a great experience and the fact that it was steps away from the beach was fantastic, but too many extra charges.

Room Tip: park your car the the parking lot next door to save extra money.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!