“Beautiful Hotel, Warm Staff, Crappy Service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #65 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Beautiful Hotel, Warm Staff, Crappy Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Arrived on Christmas Eve- was informed that I could upgrade the room with several options, however, suddenly every option available was the most expensive rooms there. Felt like it was the bait and switch. Although I was shown my room directly in front of a pool on the first floor; seemed outrageous, I believe they knew no guest wants to travel that far to be directly in front of a pool on the first floor. We also didn't receive fresh towel service.

Secondly, my girlfriends birthday was on Christmas and I was informed that they don't offer special spa discounts for birthday guests. Sorry I confused them with the Mandarin. There food is
outrageously expensive. I thought I could get comparable service by trying this place but I'm utterly unhappy. To have paid over $1500.00, I am so not used to my basic concerns being exploited for more money. I will definitely take my family back to the Mandarin. Unless you're
used to this kind service--take your vacation to a better hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Volcano, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Our family of 4 stayed at the Eden Roc this past week. We got upgraded because of our Silver Elite Marriott status to the Beachfront Tower with a wonderful view of the ocean and the 5 pools. Hotel was lovely with the sunken bar area. Decorated for Christmas and Hannukah. We ate several meals in the ocean side bar during happy hour, which was a good value. We had 2 free breakfast buffets included with our room. The breakfast buffet was quite elaborate and delicious.

When we arrived the hotel was overrun with young girls from Venezula (I believe) and a mid-wife convention. Plenty of room for everyone.

Staff was extremely kind and well-versed in hospitality.

Our room was probably more suitable for just a couple as there was a frosted glass opening between bedroom and bathroom (so that one or more could enjoy a whirlpool bath or shower with the frosted windows open. The windows didn't close off the bathroom completely and this made our daughters feel very uncomfortable. We clipped a blanket up over the opening.

We didn't have room service one or two days. We called up for towels. The day we did have room service, we were left many, many bottles of toiletries. We were out of the room much of each day.

We had problems getting all the channels on our tv that we wanted to watch - HBO, ESPN. Maintainance came and worked on it and told us eventually that it could not be fixed. The hotel gave us a $50 refund on the room and a day of free internet.

The pools go into shade fairly early in the afternoon due to the tower we stayed in.

We asked for newspapers to be delivered to our room and didn't have that happen once.

The fitness center is very nice.

Lots of man-o-wars on shore, so we didn't venture in water.

We would stay here again. Seemed well priced for what we received.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We were in town for a bodybuilding show which was hosted at the Eden Roc. We had a room in the ocean tower with a view of the water for about $50 more a night. (I highly recommend this -- It's worth it!) The rooms were well laid out, spacious, and decorated in (what else) South Beach decor. Service was polite. Food was particularly surprising. I never really expect good food at a hotel (rule of thumb: Don't sleep where you eat; don't eat where you sleep) but the reception was held here and I had no choice. The surf and turf was great. The prawns were cooked perfectly as were the filets. Extra bonus: I decided to run the half marathon at the last minute since I was there anyway and they gave us a late check out -- Thoughtful and much appreciated!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

We thought we found the coolest hotel last year when we stayed at the Epic - But Eden Roc is definately cooler, mainly because of the story of the hotel and the well-designed renovation of the hotel. It is definately the best placed we ever stayed in our 4 trips to Miami.

When we arrived we got an complimentary upgrade to the Penthouse level, which was a real treat.

And the Breakfast buffet is simply to die for - never on our many trips to USA have i experience such a tasty buffet and variety in small dishes. We did not try the restaurant herem, but we notice that one of the participants of Gordon Ramseys Hells Kitchen was Head-chef at the restaurant.

Another big plus is, that you can deliver your Hertz car-Rental back at the hotel, which saves some valet-charges, while staying at the hotel.

Penthouse upgrade or not - We will definately return to Eden(Roc).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

Stayed at the Eden Roc with my wife during summer. It was recommended to me as The Hotel to stay when in Miami Beach. The location is fantastic, quieter than the buzzing Miami places usually.
The staff is excellent, well spoken, polite. The puplic areas are excellent thanks to the refurbishment to the whole hotel, very contemporary, comfortable.
The pools are excellent and they have many different varieties, I particlarly liked the one on the left side of the courtyard on decking surrounded by comfy deck beds. The restaurant underneath this restaurant serves possibly one of the best burgers I`ve eaten during our stay in the US.
Due to budget constraints we only stayed for two nights. Be prepared that you have to pay for quality and service here everything is priced up that you really feel that this is apremium place.
Its worth staying there for the experience, but we will try elsewhere when we go back next time purely because I think you can get very similar value for much less.

Room Tip: Go for a high floor and be amazed by the view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I've been to Miami many times and have always wanted to stay here - so when another trip was planned I treated myself. This hotel is not cheap - but considering it's location and reputation it wasnt extorionate either, at around £200 per night. Be aware though that this is not close to Ocean Drive and all the main nightlife

The pros: Beatifully designed, clean, light, airy and spacious public areas - a very relaxed but cosmopolitan atmosphere. 3 pools so plenty of places to relax, or of course its right on a beautiful beach so I'm sure everybodys sunbathing wishes could be accommodated. I stayed in two rooms (more of that in the 'cons' below) - the first room was in the newer tower, on the top floor and with an absolutley magnificent view. The room's layout and decor had clearly been thought out, the bed faced the ocean, as did the bathroom, which had a sliding door allowing you to shower whilst admiring the view outside. The balcony was again, very nicely furnished - in fact the furnishings throughout wre of great quality. The other room I stayed in was in the main building, a duplex on 2 floors, with living downstairs, sleeping and bathing upstairs. Full length windows and again a well designed bathroom are made this room feel completely special. Now, I have seen other reviewers comment on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I found them to be super helpful, and friendly, not at all stuck up as has been reported. Finally, whilst I was there I did run into a couple of big name celebrities who were also staying at this resort (not giving any names though). So if this is your thing you may be pleasantly star struck, as I was

Cons: Ok so I had to change rooms - the room I had, on the top floor of the newer tower was stunning and I wish I could have stayed in it but.... being on the top floor made this room very noisy due to the air conditioning units located on the roof. What a shame, this is the only negative comment I have

Would I recommend this hotel? Hell Yes!! I would stay there again in a heartbeat and will do again soon I'm sure

Room Tip: Ocean front room is a must
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Boston, ma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

The public spaces in this hotel are fantastic. There are several pools and something for everyone. It is well located, a little out of the fuss and fray of South Beach but close enough for quick access. The lobby was very airy with a hopping bar and some areas to relax or work. There is also a Starbuck tucked around a corner in the lobby area. The restaurant was excellent for dinner - it was easy to order a variety of small bites or entrees - all was delicious. The service was also very attentive and the food delicious. If you go for breakfast here - definitely go for the buffet. It was well worth it.

There was on site access to the beach and to the boardwalk which was really nice. It was great to walk there at sunset or sunrise. The board walk was pretty active with people at all times. If you wanted to you could stay at the hotel for the entire visit and have a perfectly lovely time. The only reason I did not give this five stars - is that the rooms were nice - a bit on the sparse side. I stayed in a partial ocean view - and this actually was as advertised - not bad at all but clearly this was the older part of the hotel. The bathrooms were a decent size and I enjoyed the spacious walk in shower.

The hotel staff is very friendly and very accommodating. They understand service. The valet was prompt and efficient.

I would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Eden Roc Miami Beach? Share your experiences!