“Location, parking and cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Beach Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Beach Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Beach Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #138 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Oslo, Norway
“Location, parking and cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were looking for a convenient hotel for one night in south Beach. Price, location and parking were the things we were searching for. We have been to Miami before and were therefore looking for a hotel close to the beach, the shopping area and restaurants. The hotel is easy to access from the Airport and has a value parking which makes your stay so much easier. Good service and fast check in/check out. A baggage room for storage. We did not eat breakfast there as we like to enjoy a good breakfast outside when we are on hollidays. Again, it is a 3 minutes walk to the beach and a short walk to the main shopping street. The rooms are okay, but maybe not a place I would stay if i was going to spend a lot of time inside the hotel. This is a hotel were you drop you bags of and enjoy Miami outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
vpowe002, General Manager at The Beach Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your kind review. We hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Valley Springs, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The worst hotel I have ever stepped foot into!!!! Starting with the element they allow to hang out in front by entrance smoking hookahs and more!!! The room was small and that was the good thing about it!! The blanket was sewn together sheets to make a blanket the bedskirt was nasty stained I could not even bring myself to look at the mattresses!!! The room smelled like old moldy fabric!! The noise from everywhere and everyone was too much!!! Paying $25 to park god knows where was ridiculous and the fact of not knowing or having access to your vehicle is not acceptable to us!!! My son is in the Navy and he was being transferred to Key West and all his important paper work and belongings were in the vehicle so not knowing where it was going was unacceptable!! Needless to say we were there maybe an hour and left now we are having to try and get our money back cause they charged our card anyway which is BAD BUSINESS too!!!!!! So unless you're a college student that likes the party element around and that is your only desire to party then that is the place for you!!! Even then I'd be leery!!! YUKKKKK!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you again for your feedback. We are saddened that your stay was not as pleasant as you had anticipated. The visitors to South Beach vary depending on what time of year you visit. If you visit during Spring Break, you will encounter more college students on Spring Break and as such the noise level will be much higher than at other times. This is simply the cyclical nature of the business. The Housekeeping service in our hotel always receives rave reviews however your points are well taken and will be kept in mind. All rooms are equipped with extra pillows and blankets and as such is not typically an issue with our guests. Now we regret that you departed earlier than usual. However, depending on how your room was booked your card could have been charged in advance and therefore it would take some time to see any adjustment in your credit card.
Valley Springs, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

First off it was very uncomfortable just walking into this place with all the young loud foul mouthed people hanging out front on patio smoking hookahs and more!!! Not having any parking is not a thing we were happy with, my son is in the Navy and was transferring stations to Key West and all his important paper work and belongings were in his vehicle and had no idea where it was being taken to with no access to his vehicle!! Then we could barely fit in the elevator with our luggage then could barely get into door to the room, door barely got past bed!! The room smelled terrible like old moldy fabric! Then upon inspecting the bed well let's just say the bedskirt was stained and the blankets weren't even blankets they seemed to be sheets sewn together to make a blanket! Granted it was nighttime when we got there but the place does not look like the pic online!!! The noise level in the room was ridiculous you could hear everyone outside and in other rooms!!! We left after just being there an hour was not a comfortable place in our opinion it's more for the college students on spring break! Now I am having to try and get my money back cause they charged my card anyway to me that is BAD BUSINESS!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. We are saddened that your stay was not as pleasant as you had anticipated. The visitors to South Beach vary depending on what time of year you visit. If you visit during Spring Break, you will encounter more college students on Spring Break and as such the noise level will be much higher than at other times. This is simply the cyclical nature of the business. The Housekeeping service in our hotel always receives rave reviews however your points are well taken and will be kept in mind. All rooms are equipped with extra pillows and blankets and as such is not typically an issue with our guests. Now we regret that you departed earlier than usual. However, depending on how your room was booked your card could have been charged in advance and therefore it would take some time to see any adjustment in your credit card.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

If you're looking for someplace to drop your bags, hit the street and grab a little sleep after a night on the town...this is your spot. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent hotel with quick access to the beach, but I feel compelled to inform my TA family what the real deal is. Their website is very misleading about a few things. They mention newly renovated hallways on their website. Well that must have been on level 3 because my family and I had rooms on levels 1 and 2 where the carpets are clearly worn and due for replacement and the entry doors to the rooms have about 10 layers of paint on them. Once you get into the room itself, it wasn't too bad. There were no IPOD docks in our rooms as mentioned on the website. There is daily maid service, but you have to instruct the maid to take your towels otherwise they will be left in your bathroom. Our wet towels laid on the bathroom floor for a day and we had to request maid service (which was timely) to have the towels removed and get fresh towels. And considering it's a beach hotel, you would think they would sweep or wipe the wood floors daily. But instead we walked about on sandy floors for a day. I've stayed at other beach hotels and the housekeeping staff did clean the floors daily.

The website fails to inform you that they impose a mandatory resort fee of approximately $12.00 daily to cover the breakfast, internet access and beach towel. Did not have a problem paying it, but hey guys don't tell me it's free when it really isn't. And if I had to pay the fee, it would have been nice to have internet access actually in my room as advertised. Internet access in all rooms and common areas is not true. They have a signed posted at the front desk informing you that internet access is available in the lobby only. Not sure what kind of router they have but the service was very weak. Our room was literally 20 ft. from the lobby and the signal was weak. Not happy about having to get dressed to go to the lobby to get a decent signal.

Let's talk about the "free breakfast". Remember the resort fee, Our selection included Sunny D OJ, bagels, pre packaged muffins, bananas, instant oatmeal, yogurt and coffee. Not bad...just enough to put something on your stomach to start your day. Keep in mind, you're eating your breakfast in the lobby among the guest that are coming and going.

Room Tip: If you prefer a little quit, request that you not be placed in the rooms on level 1 close to the lob...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time out to provide feedback on your stay. We appreciate the positive highlights as well. We religiously do housekeeping daily which includes changing of the linen. Hence the aspect of this review indicating a subpar housekeeping service is somewhat surprising. This hotel runs at a high occupancy year round and as such the traffic in the hallways is exceptionally heavy. The fact is our hallway carpet is less than 4 years old. Nevertheless we are currently in the process of upgrading the hotel including the hallway carpets. We have also substantially improved our WIFI coverage. We are hoping that the next time you visit us all the upgrades will be completed.
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

If I could give Beach Plaza Hotel negative stars, I would.

They managed to ruin the first 30 minutes of my vacation by not having the room I requested available (Double Room wit 2 beds)--instead, they tried to place me and my traveling partner (not romantically linked, lol) in one King size bed, which is NOT what I paid for. The front desk person at the front desk told us that he had only one room available due to a 'cancellation'--the price for the old room was $380 for 3 nights--the new price was $640 for 3 nights. Funny, because I returned to the front desk 10 minutes later and another employee was telling another group that they had multiple rooms available...curious.

I felt uncomfortable with the situation, so I requested to cancel my reservation due to not receiving what I asked for. Luckily we found another decent hotel, albeit in a less-than-prime location. I will never stay here again...ever.

Room Tip: I received an unsatisfactory room, so I can't help with tips :(
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
We truly appreciate your feedback. While we cannot speak specifically to this reservation as we do not know the specifics, it strongly appears that this could have been a Run of The House (ROH) reservation. This simply means that a guest is not guaranteed a particular room type but will be given any available room type upon check-in based on the hotel's inventory. Due to this the ROH reservations are typically offered at a highly discounted rate. Guests who typically book ROH reservations are not picky about room type selections and as such enjoy the discounts associated with such reservations. Now on the other side, there are other reservation options that guarantee a room type. These are honored as booked by our guests. If a guest, after booking a ROH reservation, requests a specific room type upon check-in and the hotel has a very limited number of those rooms, it is not unusual to pay a difference in price for that request. Keep in mind that ROH rates a highly discounted as such do not offer the flexibility in room choice.
Shreveport, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hotel is two minutes walk from beach, five minutes to starbuck's & many restaurant, clubs & shopping. Perfect when you want to leave car in hotel garage after paying $25 a day! Takes only 10minutes by taxi cost approx $20 to Downtown Miami, American Airlines Arena. Room & furnishings are dated but service at reception by Sebastian & bellhop Kevon was exceptional. Walgreen opposite the hotel is still under construction, would be nice when it's up & running. Tours can be arranged in hotel by Monty... Be sure to bargain on the cost like I did! :) Usual $45 city & boat tour went down to $40 per person. Yay!
Be sure to check price on drinks in some restaurants on Ocean Drive...my frozen magharita end up served in a salad bowl size glass with 2 opened beer bottles struck in it & costing a whopping $60 when all I asked for was a "magharita please" totally undrinkable as I do not like the taste of beer. I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant as my bill came up to $209 for appetizer & a drink. Highway robbery!!! When questioned waiters & manager were suddenly unresponsive. At 1:30am I was too tired to argue. Overall, hotel was sufficient for a 2 nights stay but area is absolutely gorgeous. Perfect.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
vpowe002, General Manager at The Beach Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is very much appreciated. Come and see us again very soon.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

This hotel is a nice, affordable place located a short walk from the beach. The staff is friendly, and the accommodations are perfect for those that don't plan to stay in their room. The location is great....many restaurants and bars are within walking distance. I recommend this place to any budget travelers.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Your feedback is invaluable. Thank you for taking the time to write one. We are looking forward to having you here with us in the near future.

Been to The Beach Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!