“Average hotel. But the whole parking situation is not good!!!!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Beach Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Beach Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
The Beach Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1401 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (City Center)   |
Ranked #137 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Average hotel. But the whole parking situation is not good!!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is crappy! Iv booked hotels in many different areas and i dont have to pay for it way in advaced and then do a security deposit. So stupid then i asked if they had a parking garage and the guy is like no you need to pay $25 for valet parking!!!! Seriously other hotels in the area had parking for guest what a rip odd and then $130 for one night with a crappy breakfast with signs saying "1 per person" we can only get 1 piece of something and all they had was bagels, banana, yogurts, oatmeal, and juice or coffee!!!!! Total crap, on another note housekepping does a good job in cleaning.

• Stayed July 2013
vpowe002, General Manager at The Beach Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. Let us take some time to clarify some of the points mentioned in this review. If you book through a third party eg., Travelocity, Expedia, etc, you will indeed have to pay in advance. If you book directly with the hotel, you will be charged the 1st night's room and tax as a guarantee. Of course this will be credited to your entire stay once you have checked in the hotel. It is very common to request a deposit against incidentals. This is a common hotel practice. Majority of the hotels in South Beach do not have parking available. We depend on a hired valet service. This is because when the city was built, no accommodation was made for parking. Free parking in South Beach is a myth. The valet fee charged by our hotel is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, on the Beach. This is a fact. Most guests prefer not to drive to avoid valet or parking fees. The breakfast is continental. You have a choice of bagel, muffin, tea, coffee, fruit, fruit juices, yogurt, oatmeal and assortment of jelly, and cream cheese. All of these items are available. No guest has to choose among them.

318 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Filthy room: everything looks dirty, especially a bed cover, walls scratched and cracked. Bed side table light was broken and never fixed. No vent or ANY hooks in the bathroom, even on the door. The only good thing about the bathroom is water pressure. When we opened room door there was a strong clorox smell so i had to request not to use it next time they clean, cant tell f they used anything else instead as i never smell anything at all after that. Air-conditioner is "motel style", but with the remote. Lousy service: we came in 4 hours earlier, the room was only ready 15 min later check in time and only after asking if it's ready. No one apologized of course. Two times out of three we got room service after long argument on the phone and after 6pm. The breakfast is terrible, they claim it buffet, but there was no choice you can take only one fruit, yogurt, bagel, if you want hot cereal( there were no other choices) keep in mind that the hot water not hot enough to brew it. So we only ate it once, after that we just took one fruit and usually it's one green banana. Happy hour free wine is terrible too, only drank it once.
But we got it for incredibly cheap price, it is one block from the ocean, you can rent beach chair and umbrella, and take beach towels for free. The location is great it's in the middle of unique and beautiful art-deco district with lots of choices to eat, museums, night life and people watching.... The guys in the lobby are incredibly nice and the lady in the bar. The tour guy has a good choice of excursions for a very reasonable prices. We did enjoy our four-day-vacation in Miami Beach, but not the hotel.
But, we got cheap p

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank your for your review. Our check in time is 3pm. It appears that your arrival was 4 hours prior to check in time which could put the time at 11am. Our check out time is 11am. This means that it is not unreasonable to wait for a room at that time. The room was ready 15 minutes prior to check in time.The breakfast offered is continental. It is unclear as to why there had to be an argument to get service for the room seeing that all rooms are serviced daily. Obviously not all rooms will be serviced at the same time. Guests are free to request their preferred service time and the hotel will be more than happy to accommodate this request.
Palm Beach, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Good place for the cost. Room was clean, hotel was clean, everyone was very helpful. We had a room on the street so there was some noise, but nothing that you don't get everywhere in South Beach! Cute hotel, very short walking distance to the beach, numerous restaurants and bars. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the suites/villas typically are shielded from the noise more. Try to get an in...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Your review is appreciated. Yes our rooms are very clean and we are in the best location in South Beach. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

A few friends and I decided to stay for a night in Miami before heading to our cruise. We were looking for something affordable yet still comfortable. The Beach Plaza Hotel was a great choice both for its affordable price and that it was NOT a dump! The room was clean and everything worked fine (the bathroom, alarm clock, lights, AC). It was comfortable and the noise level was low so you could sleep soundly. The front desk was also very nice and helpful, I had no problems with them. Good to point out that he hotel has a great location with only 1 block away from Ocean Drive and the beach. Try it out if you're looking for a great value stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Your kind feedback is very much appreciated. Come and visit soon!
Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I came across Beach Plaza having spent our first night in Little Havana which was by far the worst experience we've had where we were taunted by locals and did not sleep from the noise! We checked into Beach Plaza the following day finding it cheap for the location and quality of service.
On our arrival and after explaining our experience of the night before, the receptionist and concierge couldn't be more sensitive or helpful. We had to wait for our room but they let us store our luggage so we could have a wander around the area to find that the beach was literally a 30second walk away, the street was just off Ocean Drive so we didnt have to go far for some food ... or drink! The rooms were spotless and cleaned everyday with fresh bedding, towels, shampoo etc! The Wifi (while only available in communual areas) was fast and convenient to keep in touch with family back home. Breakfast offered a basic but filling choice. The Moroccan tour planner was also fantastic with getting us what we wanted for a competitive price.

Overall we had a fantastic stay and would definitely recommend Beach Plaza! I don't know what the smell is that has been talked about in another review as it was very clean and I noticed no smell.

• Stayed June 2013
We appreciate your feedback. We are pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations. Come and visit with us soon!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

DO NO STAY HERE!!!! When I was in Miami, I have searched for several hotels. I ended up in the beach plaza hotel. In front desk, Jose helped my friend and I out. We got a room but I was very sensitive to the smell. I came back downstairs and complaint that I could of not stay there any longer because I was getting migraines from the smell. Jose than sent me to a different room in another building which was the same smell. As much as I wanted to stay, I was getting very sick. I came back to the front desk and explained Jose the situation that there is no way I can stay there. He was highly rude and disrespectful! He did not even want to hear me out. Nor did he want to give me back my money. I was in the hotel for not even 10 minutes trying to work it out and I got charged $144.63. Jose told me to go ahead and dispute the pay with my bank because he isn't returning my money back. So I have called Chase and so they disputed the $144.63. On June 13th, Beach plaza hotel fought back the money. I don't believe that it's fair for me to be paying that when I didn't stay. I got sick, highly poor customer service, and hard to get a hold of when I tried to contact management by phone and emails.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank your for your review. Clearly there are many details omitted from this review. Typically when a hotel is successful in disputing a chargeback it is usually because the hotel had proven to the bank that the chargeback was not justified and the bank agreed.
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This was a wonderful stay. We booked a room through Groupon and we were very pleased. The folks that had a horrible stay and left horrible reviews must have been expecting something like the Hilton. This is an older boutique hotel in the Art Deco district. Of course it looks old! The whole place is vintage. The doors, the floors, the elevator. It is beautiful! The location is wonderful and you can walk everywhere as it is only a block from the beach and Ocean avenue if you want to go to dinner or shopping. The staff are available and very efficient. We had no trouble with the valet parking and although it seemed expensive at $26 a day it was competitive and certainly convenient. Also, there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom so if there is any unpleasant odor or lots of shower steam you may want to open a window! Anyway, very clean hotel also. There is good air conditioning in the room but the hallways get pretty warm. Very nice quiet bar at night. There is some road noise at night but it is right on Collins Avenue! The continental breakfast is a basic bagel and yogurt and muffin and oatmeal etc. with coffee and juice but very good. I will recommend this place to everyone.
****The only warnings I have for anyone is that the windows open! If you have kids be very careful you watch them because our windows opened easily and we were on the 3rd floor! The water in the bathroom faucet/shower got very hot and when someone in another room used the water it would change the water temperature to either really hot or really cold! Just beware in case you have small kids or sensitive folks!****

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for a very gracious review. We look forward to having you in our hotel very soon!

Been to The Beach Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!