“Exceptional Service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Exceptional Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Just arrived back from 5 days in Miami staying at the Beacon. This was part of our honeymoon and when mentioning this at check-in we were upgraded to Ocean view for free and had a bottle of champagne delivered on ice at a time convenient to us (also free). Throughout the stay all members of staff were courteous, warm and welcoming - best of all, it was genuine - not the false 'warm' service often received. The staff on reception would do everything they could to help, offering free bottled water throughout the stay, posting our mail for us and providing information about the area. On the day of checkout we were offered chairs for the beach, water, towels and the use of a shower without having to ask. We even managed to break the iron provided in the room (which, as far as hotel irons go, was very good) and the lady on reception didn't mind at all, nevermind try and charge for it.

Breakfast was served daily downstairs and was of a very high standard compared to that generally found on South Beach.

Reception area, lobby, communal toilets etc all of a very high standard. Room was basic but had everything it needed and was cleaned to a good standard daily. Air conditioning unit was effective.

All in all an excellent stay. The staff and service was, without exageration, the best I have ever experienced - genuine, warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms have loud music from bar until 11.30 at night
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My stay at The Beacon Hotel could have been average, but we found two little red worms in our bed which was UTTERLY DISGUSTING!! I chalked it up to bad maid service and asked for new sheets at night to remake the bed myself. DONE.

The next day, we checked out and I asked to speak with a manager but no one was available. OK. Fine, please pass my message to the manager, I would like someone to address the issue. No one responded. I received the customary "Submit a comment" email from Derek and before posting this, asked him to get back to me on the customer service.. I think it's been 5+ weeks (still no response, I'm just asking to be acknowledged). I must have struck a really off chord vs. the halo comments on the Beacon's site, or the reviews are just overly generous. My final takeway from Beacon Hotel? Poor Customer Service All Around.

**Update** if you're checking out reviews on the Beacon site and they seem too good to be true - probably is because after I tried submitting the same comments above, this message showed up: "Thank you for your comments. All submissions are moderated and if approved, yours will appear soon." I'm sure Beacon won't want to post my true experience or any other bad reviews.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed here April 16-19 to celebrate our 1-year anniversary. For our first time in South Beach, we were very happy with our choice of staying at the Beacon Hotel. Our room was a bit dated and plain, but I've seen from other reviews that they are gradually updating rooms. The best thing about the hotel is the location. It is excellent. You are right across from Lummus Park Beach and very close to all the shopping and nightlife. We also enjoyed the free breakfast, which was very good and a great deal, and the friendly staff who greeted us each time we left or returned. An example: One day, as we were leaving to head across the street to the beach, the manager handed us chilled bottles of water. Little details like that made our stay very pleasant.
Two downsides were the noise and that you pretty much are dependent on the valet service if you come with a car. The noise was to be expected since we were right on Ocean Drive; with the great location, comes the noise with it. We had a front-facing room, #404, and it was loud in the evening, with music from the restaurant below. As for the valet service, they brought our car very quickly the first three days we were there. Our final day was a different story. It took about 45 minutes, and the car was returned with dents and scrapes all along the passenger side. The hotel manager called the valet manager to the hotel, who provided us with their insurance information. Ours was a rental car, so we were glad we decided to get the extra insurance coverage ourselves, as we'd read that driving in Miami could be difficult. It wasn't the greatest way to end our stay, but the hotel did credit us the final day's cost for valet service, which is $20/day. I don't say this to deter anyone from staying, as I'm sure it doesn't happen often. But it's just one of the things to keep in mind when planning to stay anywhere on South Beach.
Overall, it was a good stay. If we got a good sale price, we might consider staying here again. I do think, though, that it might be worth the money to spend a little extra, and stay at a nicer place further north on Ocean Drive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Spent a long weekend, May 17-20th, 2012, celebrating our 18th anniversary. Being our first visit to South Beach, we could not of been happier with the level of service, professionalism, friendliness and location of the Beacon Hotel. Due to an early flight arrival, we arrived at the Beacon around 11:30am. Christian surprised us by working hard to find an available room and check us in immediately. Had a front room with excellent view of the ocean, although it is slightly loud due to local music in the later evenings. Complimentary breakfast was one of our desires in choosing the Beacon and we were not disappointed. The location is ideal, equal distance both east or west to restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. A highlight for us was renting bikes each day for 1-hour. Two pick-up/drop-off stations are equal distance apart from the Beacon. For roughly $10/day we rode throughout South Beach exploring restaurants, art, culture and other hotels. Each day we were happy to return to our clean, modern and friendly hotel. With a late flight departure on Sunday, the front desk graciously provided chairs and towels for a last enjoyable beach day. The Beacon truly made our visit to South Beach memorable!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a small outside sitting area with alot of tropical plants. Nice t...
Ocean Grove, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My husband and I just returned from what ended up being an early 30th anniversary trip. We had stayed at the Beacon before but, because of my health issues, had not been since 2005. We had followed the changes and were eager to see it for ourselves. We certainly weren't disappointed! First, when I contacted Chris ( the manager) directly about rates, he gave us a better deal than any discount site. We were able to check in early and were wonderfully spoiled from there on. We were greeted as old friends and were escorted to our room. The rooms aren't huge but very comfortable; in fact, other than my Temperpedic at home, I sleep best at the Beacon. We grabbed our beach chairs and towels ( a new addition) and headed for the beach. After returning to our room, we found that the casual mention of our anniversary resulted in a decent bottle of champagne, two chilled flutes and a lovely hand written note. It almost seemed as if the staff anticipated every need; when we had a problem with the toilet in the room, service was there in less than 5 minutes, immediately followed by housekeeping who cleaned the bathroom. In spite of being right on Ocean Drive, right next to some loud party bars, our room was quiet and comfortable all night. We were looking for more of a relaxing trip, but the people who were there to party looked very satisfied as well. Breakfast was included in the price of the room with choices from pancakes to spinach omelets as well as hot coffee available from 7 to 11. As we bid a sad farewell to the Beacon, we were discussing, on the way to the airport, when we could come again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quiet, but higher floors will help keep the foot traffic to a minimum
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Just stayed at the Beacon Hotel May 14-19, 2012. Let me start this by saying that my husband and I are hotel snobs. Not that we stay at extremely expensive hotels but we try to stay at very modern, clean, upscale hotels. We were very nervous about staying at a boutique hotel on Ocean drive because most of them get very mixed reviews. The Beacon seemed to get the best reviews for that area. So we decided to give it a shot. We were not disappointed. From my first encounter via email to the very end, we were so happy with the staff. I am guessing because it is a boutique hotel that you get much more personal attention. Started with an email with questions about the rates (with Veronika Volovik). She responded quickly every time and it was a feeling of a casual conversation, rather than a generic email response. I can't say anything bad about the staff. Unfortunately, I did not get everyone's names but a few of the wonderful staff was Christian and Victor. There was a woman who worked the desk and a young man who helped us when we did have a little issue with valet. If he reads this he will know who he is. They were both great also. The valet service was great except for the one day we had a little issue of our car taken a very long time, most of the time it was there within 15 minutes. And we have used valet before and have gotten dings on our personal car but there was nothing on this car. The hotel is extremely clean and well taken care of. A special kudos to our housekeeper, Rommy, who did a wonderful job at cleaning our room. The bed was extremely comfy and the sheets and towels felt so clean. Someone had mentioned in a review that using the two top sheets instead of a duvet made it seem so much cleaner, that was so true. I loved this idea. I only have a few cons, but nothing really bad about the hotel. I knew the room and bathroom was going to be small but it was a bit awkward at how small it was. We really couldn't leave out toiletries in the bathroom because there was no room, I have a new appreciation for my apartment bathroom. The room itself wasn't too small but they did not have any drawers. We had to live out of our suitcase the whole time. What I thought was drawers was actually a cabinet for the minibar and the safe. I think the minibar could be done away with and a chest of drawers could make people very happy. The free breakfast was good but you only get orange juice (a very small glass) and/or coffee but you have to pay for refills. But that these are the only negatives. And of course the location could not have been any better. We walked up and down Ocean Drive all week and think this hotel had the absolute best spot on the street. This was our first trip to Miami and I believe the hotel is half of what made it special.

Room Tip: We had room 503 and it was great because you really could not hear the noise from the street
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I have not stayed in Miami Beach before, but I did a ton of research and chose the Beacon for the location, cost, previous reviews, and breakfast offering. 4 night stay, double room, me and my mother (late 30's and 50's age group).

Here are the ups and downs as we saw them.

Positives:
-Location cannot be beat
-Great value
-Good breakfast included in room cost and on Ocean Dr this is worth A LOT(not your typical continental, think real eggs, bacon and potatoes, strong coffee, fresh squeezed OJ)
-Very very comfy beds and pillows
-Beach towels and beach chairs included (although chairs were not lightweight, so we ended up leaving them behind after the first day)
-Mini fridge avail on request
-Friendly staff with some who always remembered our room number
-Very hot coffee and tea available in AM for free (found on 2nd floor lounge area)

Negatives:
-Couple of service requests required a 2nd follow up or just were never done (remote didn't work, did not get maid service one day, call ahead for a cab)
-Small room and bathroom, which we totally expected based on age of building and previous reviews, but for 2 women to get ready it was super tight with horrible lighting and no vanity or storage in bathroom. I think from a design perspective they could get more creative to make the space usable.
-Glass door on bathroom was odd and let in light from shower window at night
-Noise was not an issue until the fourth night when the weekenders started to arrive. Then we found out how loud the hall, garden 'smoking' area, and upstairs guests could be. Earplugs are a good idea. We stayed in a garden view room on the third floor.
-Some things are just worn out. Bathroom shelves are loose on the wall, all the electrical outlets barely hold a plug, our A/C which was already a bit loud but started making a horrible racket the last night so we just went without for sleep, elevator is so miserably slow you will use stairs unless you have luggage

Even with the negatives, I still gave the Beacon 4 stars because the value just really outweighed the shortfalls.

Personally, we will probably stay a block or two back from Ocean Dr if we ever go again, OR, maybe stay at the hotels north of the park beach area that are truly on the beach. We enjoy the people and action of Ocean dr, but after 4 days we were worn out and I think a little more quiet and space in the room would have done us good.

Some people made comments about the restaurant in their reviews (The Place), which from what I understand is not technically part of the hotel and separately owned/managed. The breakfasts were good, service was usually decent, but I will say I saw quite a few times people ordering drinks like mojitos and bloody marys and the wait staff totally fails to mention that they automatically bring out the LARGE much pricier size. This did not seem exclusive to this restaurant, but was typical of most of the places on Ocean dr. We ended up enjoying the service and food from restaurants off the main strip much much more, even if it required a short cab ride.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Beacon Hotel? Share your experiences!