“Great location, great bathroom” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Augustine

Save Saved
You added Hotel St. Augustine to your Saves list
Hotel St. Augustine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   347 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (South Pointe)   |
Ranked #65 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Nottingham, England
“Great location, great bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

South Beach Miami. It's going to be expensive but the St Augustine is a good option just 5 minutes walk from Ocean Drive.
This is an art deco hotel with lots of interesting features. We stayed for 2 nights in incredibly comfortable queen size beds, but the stand out feature is the amazing bathroom. The shower area has 4 shower heads and incorporates a sauna with 4 temperature settings. Could have stayed there all day if there weren't so many things to do in South Beach!
No flat screen tv and no lift, but the receptionist helped with the luggage. Unfortunately no view out the window as it was obscured by a palm tree. The adjacent parking lot cost an additional $20 per day. Breakfast was the usual basic continental style but brightened up by the friendly woman who serviced the breakfast section.
Many varied eating and shopping options a few minutes walk away on Ocean Drive, Collins Ave and Washington Ave. Shame about all the roadworks on Collins while we were there. Also only 5 minutes to the lovely beaches.
The reception staff were efficient and friendly, so all in all I would have no problem in recommending this hotel for your South Beach stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

453 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Windsor, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in August for our honeymoon. We loved the hotel room - very clean, comfortable bedding and the steam shower was an excellent feature after an exhausting weekend. The rooms were also well-priced and the only rooms I was able to find in Miami Beach with a steam shower. I am an admitted germaphobe/neat-freak and would normally rather not stay in a hotel however, the rooms here were extremely clean and I felt very comfortable. James, the front desk manager, was very friendly and gave us helpful tips for exploring the city. He even left us surprise complimentary champagne and a personalized note to celebrate our wedding - a sincerely sweet touch! We would not categorize ourselves as city-people but would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights just after the new year.

Problems:
1) The rooms are noisy. The walls are thin, and you can hear every conversation your neighbours have. We were a awoken at 1:00 a.m., 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. by the neighbours over the course of the two nights. The doors are heavy and make a loud noise when they close, which doesn't help either. We mentioned our concern to the staff, and they suggested that we gently knock on the walls when our neighbours were loud - that didn't work.
2) The breakfast was poor. There were a few pastries, dry cereal, and yogurt. No fruit. By 9:30, the juice was empty. For the price ($275ish a night at the time), the breakfast was stingy.
3) There is no security. While the location is good, there is, as a result, a fair amount of foot traffic passing. There did not appear to be anyone working in the lobby at night, and there was no restriction on entry. Some unsavoury non-guests wandered in to use the toilets in the lobby.
4) Parking was $20. We later found out that there was parking available for $10 a day nearby. As with the breakfast, this made the hotel management seem miserly.

The only advantage of this place is the location to the beach (a few minutes walk). However, the hotel didn't appear to offer and amenities in that regard (i.e. no beach towel, parasols, etc.).

Overall, I do not recommend this hotel. Try elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank-you for taking the time to write a long review of Hotel St Augustine. The New Years period
is extremely busy in South Beach , and most people come during that time to party , so it seems
that your opinions of our quiet little boutique hotel were perhaps a little irregular because of the time you came to stay with us.
Rates at all the hotels in South Beach are higher at that time and ours were in fact at the lower end of the spectrum.
The front desk also appears to have dropped the ball by not taking care of your noise complaints
directly with the offending guests ,and failing to inform you that we do have beach towels available for loan at the front desk. Our parking charge of $20 is perhaps the lowest of any hotel on the beach and the parking you mention was probably the hourly rate .
As for the breakfast - we don't have dry cereal -there is plenty of milk and the orange juice would have been refilled as soon as our charming breakfast attendant realized it had been exhausted.
I hope that you will consider returning to stay with us at a less hectic time of year , as we are anxious to turn around your opinion of us and I welcome your call so I can address your concerns.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

A great budget hotel if you're not wanting to pay the South Beach prices, but want to be in the right location. Easy to find and close to the Art Deco District, Nikki Beach and all the night life of South Beach. Rooms are very large, although we had small high windows with no much view and slightly over looked, so we kept them closed most of the time.

As mentioned in some other reviews breakfast really could do with some work. A bit of cereal and soggy sticky buns/croissants aren't so appealing, but there is a Starbucks not too far around the corner so that was our saviour!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Nothing to write home about but on their side there are strict building restrictions in place. I would rate this hotel 2.5 star. But it's not a hotel as the reception and breakfast are all one with no bar or restaurant. They also took $30 off our credit card when we booked and said it would be refunded when we checked out, when we asked checking out we were told we have it in our account in a few days but are still waiting. It's only $30 dollars but it's a scan.

• Stayed August 2013
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear GatsbyScott,
Thank -you for your review - although there seems to be some misinformation here . Like most hotels we do a small authorization on your card for incidental charges ( in your case $30) which
is released if there are no incidental charges to your room. This usually is back on your card in a few days , so if it has not been returned please contact me as soon as possible so we can fix this.
This is not a scam - and if you had contacted us right away - this would have been cleared up by now. I can not tell your last name from your review nom de plume, so I am relying on you to contact me to take care of this matter and would appreciate the opportunity to make this right - as your previous review was much better and I was unaware of your problems with your refund. I look forward to changing your opinion of our hotel.You can reach me at james@hotelstaugustine.com or call me on the hotel number.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

A friend and I stayed at this hotel on October 23 for 4 days and had a great experience. The room layout was a little different than most hotels I have stayed at in the past but was still beautiful none the less. The staff were friendly, helpful, always accessible and very knowledgeable. The location was probably the best part, right on Washington. It wasn't in located in a loud busy area so you can actually sleep at night and it literally was a five minute walk to and from the beach. My only complaint was the parking which was $20 and I only needed to park my rental car for a few hours over night but the front desk staff was honest in suggesting that I park my car on the street for a much cheaper amount. The hotel was well kept and we always came back to fresh towels and a made up bed. The breakfast selection was satisfying and consisted of your basics. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a good location with easy access to beach and excitement but still offers seclusion and peace. And I forgot to mention, it was very affordable! I would definitely stay at Hotel St. Augustine again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
brussels
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We chose St Augustine for the location SOFI and after trying other hotels that had no rooms available because of the Music Fest that week....From the time I called to reserve a room to the day we left, service was wonderful, accommodating and genuine. James, the manager, holds it all together with efficiency. The room was comfortable, especially with the steam shower. We loved the 60's boutique renovation of this special building.
The breakfast lady was amazing...giving us the best recommendations for shopping, and eating.
Highly recommend this hotel if you want to be off the busy, noisy, tourist SOBE area....but close enough to find great small neighborhood beach and restaurants.

Room Tip: Away from front desk and back side of hotel