“Not Impressed with our room” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Augustine

Save Saved
You added Hotel St. Augustine to your Saves list
Hotel St. Augustine
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   347 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (South Pointe)   |
Ranked #69 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Auburn, Washington
“Not Impressed with our room”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We reserved our room based on reviews in Trip Advisor but I was truly disappointed in the experience.

First Parking - the parking log they provide (and charge for) is a challenge to get into and manuveur if there is more than 2 cars parked. And if you have a low car don't even attempt it! You have to go over some pavement that is uneven (to say the least)

Second Our Room - The first thing you noticed when you walked in our room was the musty smell. Once in there you adjusted but it was very obvious when you walked in. According to the 'amenities' there was to be an ironing board/iron in the room. I called the front desk and they did bring one up immediately but it was a dorm style ironing board to use on a table - only there is very little counter space. The ironing board was also bowed in the center and the iron was black (I was afraid it might mark my clothes - but it didn't). Next the bathroom door - it was impossible to latch it closed. While not a big deal it should have closed completely. I will say the spa shower was great! Although the amenities that were to be available in our room for the shower were in in the cabinet (they do cost $ - but there were not available to purchase)

Third the breakfast - It's very limited which is ok - but one of the days there was not even coffee available. I had to find yogurt myself as the staff was handling both the front desk as the breakfast bar. There were dirty dishes very where because of the limited staff.

Location is great for South Beach - 2 blocks to the beach

Room was clean & cleaning staff was always very friendly.

The 2nd night we came back in and our room key didn't work - we were told they were trying to reach us because it was a full hotel and they needed us to move our car for better parking. So at 1am we moved our car and no one ever did come park in the spot we moved from. I really don't think our car was parked blocking the one spot - it's very tricky to get into the lot. Needless say after that lockout our keys never worked more than once. It became a hassle having to run down stairs to get our key reset.

Room Tip: Do not get the room at the far end of the hall (2nd floor) --- it smells musty!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James W, Manager at Hotel St. Augustine, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for any problems you had with your stay.

We pride ourselves in service excellence and assure you our staff is fully trained with a proven track record of exceeding guest expectations.

We always do our very best to follow up on guest concerns and I wish I had known of your disappointment with your room so I could have taken steps to address your concerns.

I would like to contact you directly to reverse your negative opinion of us - kindly send us your details and I will reach out to take the next steps or contact me directly at 305-532-0570.

Thank you again for providing us an opportunity to rectify this situation. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Port of Spain, Trinidad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have only great things to say about this hotel. The room was clean, comfortable and of course, that amazing steam room/shower. A-MA-ZING!!!

The hotel was in a quiet area, away from the hustle and bustle but still close enough to things. The service was fantastic and special thanks to Ricky and Alejandro at the front desk for the personal attention. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Trinidad y Tobago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

We had planned a weekend get away from the Caribbean to Florida, by coincidence it was Labour Day Weekend here so expected SoBe to be "crazy"

Decided on a location with easy access in and out of the beach and this hotel in the SoFi neighborhood was perfect.

Based on good reviews and great response from "Marisol" via email and their Facebook page, our choice was easy.

The 2 story art-deco building is located on the quiet end of Washington close to shops on Collins and the beach.

Small and charming lobby, and a corridor to rooms. Ours was 106 and was very spacious, king bed and awesome corner steam shower. The best hotel shower I've had in a long time .

We did not participate in the continental breakfast in the lobby because TASTE BAKERY on 9th and Alton or PAUL on Lincoln and Drexel were great breakfast options.

Had a fab dinner at Juvia and Yard Bird. Katsuya was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed September 2012
Blackwell, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Been here three times before - last time September 2011 - going back next week ! Can't wait. The breakfast does the job - coffee, danish, cereal and yoghurt around an informal bar style setting with fantastic attention from the staff. Rooms are large as are the beds - hanging space could be larger but the place is in a great loctaion for the beach, downtown and everything Miami Beach has to offer. Get there!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Metropolis, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

dont let the looks be decieving, not all thats cracked up to be. Stayed here because of the shower and location, the steam shower never worked i complained and all i got was someone will be here to fix it . which never happened. location is ok but i will never be back to this hotel, do not recommend it at all there are a lot nicer hotels in the area

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
We sincerely apologize for your steam shower not working- we know that it is one of the features of our rooms that our guests enjoy the most. Unfortunately this unique feature requires specialized repair; and your stay was not long enough to get it repaired by the time you checked-out. We would like to contact you in order for us to turn around your guest experience.
Please send me your details so I can reach out to you or contact me at 305-532-0570 so we can discuss .
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Visited SOBE for a friend's 30th bday. She found a good Travelzoo deal online so she booked it. Overall, the room was nothing special. I have stayed at much nicer places in SOBE, but it served for a place to sleep. The walls are VERY thin. I knew people would be up late, but we could clearly hear our neighbors at 4 am... and they weren't even talking loudly. Now, for the bathroom... ours was COMPLETELY open. Thank god the toilet had a door. But the shower looks like the pictures... just some glass. For two girls sharing a room, it wasn't a huge deal, but something a little more private would have been nice. Our friends room was slightly different, they had a curtin they could pull to separte the bathroom a little. As long as you're comfortable with your roomie, its not a huge deal. Do not expect any type of view. We looked right at a concrete wall. Also no elevator, but its only 2 floors, so it is a SMALL place. Good location, but a few blocks from the beach! Nice free happy hour with wine and cheese. The front desk people were always very nice and attentative. For a quick girls weekend, it sufficed, but I probably won't stay here again. I didn't see a pool so I don't know if they have one. They did have a small continental breakfast, but it was mostly grocery store pastry's, cereal, yogart and oatmeal. There is no onsite restaurant. Thankgoodness there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Loudonville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here the day before our cruise. Taxi from airport was a flat rate $30 around there. Taxi to port of Miami around $25. The hotel price was affordable and a good value. I stayed up on Collins ave. last year and the room was about $100 more at the catalina hotel. What made this a special hotel is its hip, fresh, and you can walk everywhere. We shopped Collins Ave. and Washington Ave. we ate twice at one of the many restaurants on Ocean Drive. We had drinks at Wet Willies (too expensive and the frozen drinks melted way too quick). I recommend the Big Pink restaurant. We walked there from the hotel for breakfast. Lots of food and great service. The menu is HUGE! Would have loved to eat here for lunch!

Back to the hotel...the decor is modern and absolutely beautiful. The rooms are big with everything you need. Loved the shower...four heads I think. Loved the robes and toiletries! The cleaning staff was friendly and accommodating for anything like extra towels. It's a small hotel so they cater to their guests. The man at the front desk was friendly and accommodating as well. He went out of his way to suggest places to eat and places to go. He answered every question and never made us feel that we were bugging him. Wish I could remember his name.

We spent the afternoon at the beach. It was easy to walk to. Stopped for a drink on ocean drive on the way. We got towels at the front desk beforehand. Rented beach chairs and umbrella for $35. A guy came around making money on his own selling various drinks in a soft cooler he carried so it was immediate service. I had lots of beer...corona in a can was $5...he came back every hour for me:). You can't buy beer at the concession stands on the beach, so this was a great way for him to earn a living!

Hotel has breakfast. Pastries, cold cereals, etc. Nothing special but it is included in the price so it was nice to have coffee and a croissant to start the morning. We went for a late breakfast at the Big Pink.

The only two issues with the hotel that some guests might be concerned with are there is no elevator and the bed. You have to lug your suitcase up a set of about ten steps which was NO problem for us. The other issue is the bed...they need to purchase new mattresses....too hard for me. I'm a flight attendant and I sleep in many hotel beds so I know what a comfy bed feels like. Our night's sleep was ok because we were exhausted from sightseeing but in the morning we were a little stiff. The room, service, decor, and everything else in the hotel was wonderful. I just think since it's a small hotel it would be nice to buy comfy mattresses or mattress pads...just sayin!

One other thing...there is no pool at the hotel. This was fine for us because we went to the beach, but it might be an issue for guests wanting a pool. I never asked if we could have used another hotel's pool but maybe that could be done.

I WILL DEFIANTELY STAY HERE WHEN I HEAD TO SOUTH BEACH AGAIN:)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel St. Augustine? Share your experiences!