“If you eat here... You're gonna have a bad time” 1 of 5 stars

Starlite Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   750 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #155 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Perth, Australia
“If you eat here... You're gonna have a bad time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

My friend and I decided to have lunch at this place after being told we could get 20% off the total bill. I ordered a diet coke and received a cocktail sized glass of diet coke. I didn't think much of it because we were staying on Miami Beach, where everything is served in cocktail glasses. We ordered our food, after staring down our waiter and trying to get his attention away from his mobile phone and on to us, and after about a half hour wait our meals came. The food came out by another waiter from the hotel next door, and it was very oily for a wrap! The diet coke I had ordered did not taste as it should, so I didn't drink it. It was as though the soda and the syrup had not been mixed through properly. When we finished eating our meals (although most of it was left on the plate!) we again had to get our waiters' attention away from his mobile phone. We received the cheque and noticed that they had not taken the 20% off that they had promised. Upon further examination I also noticed that they had charged $12 for the diet coke, which did not taste like diet coke! I spoke to the lady about the 20% off and she got the waiter to change that straight away, however the waiter did not like to do so. I also wanted to get the $12 diet coke taken off cheque because I did not believe I had drunk enough of it to warrant me paying for something that was not what I expected. The waiter did not take this complaint very well. He was rude, arrogant and wouldn't listen to what I was saying. He refused to take off the diet coke, and stood over us, waiting for us to pay. He also declared that he wouldn't take off gratuity, tips or anything else from the cheque, which I thought was completely unreasonable, seeing as most of the time he didn't do his job anyway!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

South Beach Miami is not somewhere that I'd rush back to. If you are English think a cross between Skegness and Blackpool but with sunshine! Hotel was OK I guess but rooms were small and cramped, bathroom was tiny and in need of updating. The shower issued forth a dribble that was just about enough to shower under but not pleasant. When we arrived the room smelled very strongly of bleach. Location is good in the middle of everything but product is definately budget although the price is not. To be fair the receptionist was pleasant and helpful, so overal location good but product dated and not that cheap either.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Temple Hills, Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We needed an affordable place to stay for two nights ON ocean drive.

No this isn't a 5 star hotel but it was clean and the bed was fine.

Small bathroom but that would be my only complaint... (Well the headboard hit the wall too much but that's another story lol) . The air conditioner worked, the tv worked, their was a fridge in the room and a body length mirror. That's all I need when I'm in SoBe. We weren't really in the room much except to sleep, shower and get dressed. The desk clerk was nice (too bad i can't remember her name)

Great location.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sassari, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

If you want to live la vida loca de Miami, you won't be asking for more. A few steps away from the beach and the busy SoBe Avenues, this basic hotel offers you comfortable and convenient accommodation in the heart of the city. The rooms are spacious and so are the bathrooms, equipped with a microwave and a fridge.
Highly recommended to travelers on a budget (what's budget in Miami anyway? ;-) and families and groups of friends who are not looking for frills.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This was my second time staying at this hotel. the price is always much less then the colony and Avalon art deco hotels that are located beside the statlite. the staff was great again on this trip, always helpful and rooms were cleaned daily no matter what time we left for the day. the location is amazing. walk right onto the always busy ocean ave and head right to the beach. ppl who have reviewed this hotel negatively must have been expecting a Hilton with a huge business center and fitness room- news flash, all of the art deco hotels on ocean are old! but the starlite has done a great job of updating with modern furniture and finishes without erasing the art deco feel. can't say enough amazing things about this place!!

• Stayed December 2012
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The ONLY thing working for this hotel is its location ! Bang on South beach it offers direct access to the madness of South beach. Decently priced hotel offers small rooms and an even tinier bathroom. Rooms could have been cleaner and better arranged.
Reception was unhelpful and sometimes even outright rude. There is a bar at the entrance of the hotel which serves great cocktails big on price and quantity.
Very loud at night, but no complaints as the location was such.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I guess I have been spoiled by the decent mid-priced hotels that have come on the market the last few years where the cleaning staff is well managed, maintenance of th building is priority, and attention to detail is imperative. While the front desk staff are friendly and professional, the rooms are a shoddy dirty mess. The maid was still rushing to finish cleaning when I arrived. I could tell from the cleanser residue on the floor that she was not good at her job. I took some photos to send to management so perhaps they will make improvements. One lamp was missing its shade, the bare bulb glaring on the nightstand. I noticed the toilet seat probably hadn't been removed for detail cleaning in some time, something a small used toothbrush could easily remedy. The fact that the label was still on the bottom of the toilet bowl shows they just don't care about aesthetics here. Bathroom light was missing a bulb. The one lone shelf in the medicine cabinet was dirty and all other shelves missing. The hair dryer was covered in visibel goo that I cleaned of myself. The electrical outlet switch plate was cracked as dangling. The sink faucet was covered in mineral deposits and the obviously never remove the decorative caps to clean the knobs, or clean base of knobs. The shower head was disgusting as in need of soaking to remove buildup. The bathroom door hinges were rusty and coming apart. Te shower faucet also dirty and missing caps. The window which faced a wall was covered in dirt and paint peeling around the frame. The round little table was wobbly because of someone's attempt to attach the top to the pedestal trough rather shoddy carpentry, so I dared not set my laptop on it for fear it would fall off. The elevator broke down for a bit, luckily I was going downstairs and by the time I returned later in the evening it was repaired. The walls are super thin so I could hear the man next door urinating. And finally the loud music from the hotel cafe was pounding up to around midnight. I didn't know this was going to be like sleeping above a nightclub. Yes the location is great across from the beach and near attractions. The king size bed and 5 pillows are great and the room comes with a microwave and small fridge. Flat screen wal mounted TV works. However, it is clear that no one is overseeing the cleaning team and that management does not understand the importance of detail. Fixing the issues I just mentioned would take perhaps 2 hrs per room right now to bring this hotel to a better level that warrants it's price.

• Stayed December 2012