“Bed bugs+no cleaning service=cheap price” 2 of 5 stars

Starlite Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   750 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #147 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Bed bugs+no cleaning service=cheap price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I guess if I had only stayed one night, then you can not beat the cheap price. However I was there for 4 nights and left with 8 bed bug bites, so gross!!!! Staff are rude, only the bar tender was okay. I would not return...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Orlando, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Room was surprisingly cheap in one of the hottest destinations in the world. You cannot get any closer to South Beach than this, the hotel is right in the middle of it all on 8th and Ocean. It is next door to Wet Willy's, a popular South Beach Bar. If you get a room with a view you won't regret it. Just open the window and you have a front row seat to the Ferraris, Lamborghini, and of course the beautiful people... (though not always as beautiful as one might hope).

As far as the hotel itself... well, you get what you pay for in that regard. The staff was unfriendly, not very accommodating, and generally bummed out. Also, they changed the rate on us once we checked in versus what we reserved by 10 dollars a night. No biggie, but not a good practice. The room was small, not the cleanest, and had tile floors which became sticky and sandy very quickly. There was a small roach in the bathroom (yuk) and the maid smoked a cigarette outside our door upon checking out. yuk!

The room did have a nice sized fridge AND a microwave... Definitely a bonus!

All in all, I would stay here again simply because the price and location is unbeatable. If you want an affordable place to crash while partying on South Beach, this is it. If you want a nice hotel... well... you catch my drift.

Room Tip: Ask for room 201 to be closest to the action.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

I have been to Miami 3 times and twice I stayed at the Starlite. I went 2 years ago when I was 23 with a bunch of 21 year old and it was fine to crash with friends during memorial day weekend at $300 a night. We were just planning on never being in the room. It is just for that intoxicated young person that doesnt care about quality or over the top customer service. You have to come in with the same attitude as the staff, you dont care because they dont care and this is all a joke;) They are all nice dont get me wrong but the moment you ask them for a razor,extra blow dryer,im sure complimentary toothpaste they are going to look at you like "what are you asking me for,this aint even that type of hotel" (while smoking a cigarette) lol-im sure they are just use to craziness. Fortunately for them Im sure they are always going to be in business because when the whole city is booked someone will see a good rate at the Starlite and you have no other choice but to press book. Oh also be very careful because the two times ive been there random people will knock on my door at weird times of the night. Watch out for the random locals who roam the streets at night and may try to walk the floors. They do have cameras now so hopefully that helps. Never again will I stay there again since I am maturing and my standards are a bit higher. But dont come here with the highest expectations. A couple of positives I must admit to you they are directly off beach. Count to 60 while your walking and you will see the Atlantic Ocean. They are directly next door to the infamous wet willies. They keep the room simple where clearly its not made for lounging;) I had to think for a second while i was in the room because i felt that something was missing, there were no chairs in the room. They did have a refrigerator and surprisingly a microwave.;) oh starlite-you amuse me-i dont know what we would do without a hotel like you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Middle Village, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

Alright let me start off saying i've read at least 50 reviews on this hotel before staying here. And i was expecting way worse. I'm not saying the hotel itself wasn't s***tty but i was very surprised when i walked into the room.

The lobby and front desk are small, the 'larger' woman that works the front desk has very bad hearing and is pretty annoying to talk to. When we checked in we had to get our room keys changed because the initial ones provided wouldn't open the door because her 'key machine' wasn't working right.

I believe they might have done some restoration since some of the reviews because when i walked into the room first thing i noticed is brand new flooring. The whole room has new tiles about 10"x10" tiles which are a kind of cream color. Looks good. The whole bathroom, the floor and walls of the bathroom are also in the same tiles.
The only thing where you can look and actually see that the room has been outdated is the door and the pipe running on the ceiling across the room for the sprinklers (but sprinklers are necessary in hotels).

Some people said the walls are so thin that they were able to hear everything going on, i didn't hear anyone else in the whole hotel for our 5 night stay except if people were out in the hallway and drinking and screaming. Which did happen, but in our room we usually had the tv on, and while sleeping at night i've never heard or been woken up by someone else.
The only thing is that their garbage is picked up around 9-10am, and you might get woken up by the garbage truck for those 10 minutes he's there.

The room has a small fridge, which is actually pretty big it can hold 3x 2liter bottles of soda, about 20 smaller water bottles and about 15 cans. There's also a microwave on top of the fridge.
There's a 32" or 36" flatscreen tv on mounted on the wall with cable. And the hotel offers free unprotected wifi. I was surprised it was rather fast and the tv had all the channels you'd want.

Now the best part about the Starlite hotel. LOCATION.
When i was booking our trip i was looking for the exact location - Ocean dr anywhere between 5th St to about 10th St., but not too expensive. I was looking for a crappy hotel to shower in and a place to leave our stuff in.
This wasn't my first time in Miami, matter of fact i've been to Sobe every year the last 5 years. I always stay at a penthouse condo in Southe Pointe (the big tall buildings when you look towards 1st St) but this time my apartment was rented out for a 2 year lease.

Even so, I believe the Starlite hotel has the best location in sobe. Now don't get me wrong - if you're going with your husband/wife and 2 or 3 kids under 18, and don't know how to deal with the restaurant hosts outside on Ocean dr all day and crowded sidewalk, this is a bad hotel for you. If you're going to the beach every day, eat within a block or two, and then out at night. This is perfect.

Right next door to the startlite is Wet Willies, the place with all the crazy and fun mixed and frozen drinks. One block up is Mango's, one of my fav spots in Sobe. 2 Blocks up is the Clevelander and any club in south beach is about 5-10 blocks away, on Washington Avenue. When you walk out the lobby you're about 15 feet away from the corner of 8th St and Ocean Drvie and right across the street is a path onto the beach. There is a big open field in Lummus park (across the st from you, between the street and the beach) which is used to hold events that are held in south beach. While i was there they had a 'footvolley' tournament, volleyball with using only your legs and body and head. It was a lot of fun to watch.
Also the Starlite hotel is one of the bunch that has a restaurant out on the sidewalk, when you walk out if you walk in either direction you will be passing through a lot of people sitting out at tables and eating and a lot of restaurant hosts asking you if you want to eat and offering you a %20 discount and happy hour and all that. Every one of them is the same though. Except, there's a Johnny Rockets two doors down from this hotel.

After a night out, any club you go to or if you're at the clevelander or mango's, your hotel is a few minutes away and doesn't even require a cab ride home.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

We have had stolen items from our room, whch the maid left the room door open, The staff are trained not to provide mangers names or mod. They are rude,unprofessional and unexpereinced. They are thieves, The suspect was caught bought when it cam e down to complete the case we and the items were not found , we ask to complete an incident report and we were refused a report, They were so dumb they even tried to play to officer that we called in. At this point they made phones calls then, gave us the copy of the regristry card we signed upn check in, It stated the hotel that responsbile for any lost items !! OMG!!! The made left the door open, how careless... I could only imagine it was a set up she had something to do with it. we lost Shdes, Gucci purse, belts and shoes ETC.... They showd no kind of remorse or coutesy. Besides that we delt with a dirty hotel that stunk !!! Its convenient because is exactly where other friends stood and the beach party we attended, but they are grimmey !!!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
boston, Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I’ve traveled to South Beach several times over the last few years and have stayed at the Starlite at least 5 times. I must say that the Starlite is one of the best hotels on south beach! The location is great, staff are courteous and friendly and the accommodations are comfortable and clean. I have a good relationship with the staff and they always give me my room preference. I’m a bit befuddled by all the negative reviews. My experience has always been to the contrary and I’ve stayed at other hotels within close proximity.

Room Tip: Ask them in advance of your visit
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

In terms of the overall package, I can't fault this hotel.

The rooms were clean, had a nice flatscreen TV mounted on the wall, fridge and microwave and a nice clean bathroom. The maid came daily and the free WiFi workedperfectly fine. Hotel is in a great, close location, to many shops, restaurants, bars and right next to the beach.

The only thing I could fault is that the aircon packed in one day, rang the reception and they sent the maintainence man 10 mins later, who fixed the problem.

Avoid however, if you're in Miami for a quiet holiday...

Room Tip: Leave the air-con on low when out of the room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Starlite Hotel? Share your experiences!