“Pictures Are Misleading” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #64 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Calgary, Canada
“Pictures Are Misleading”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Hotel is on the corner of 5th & Ocean Ave, super noisy location. Overpriced for what you get with the amenities. Would not stay again. The pool area was under construction while we were there. They charge you a $30 RESORT FEE for staying - but they give you free chairs and umbrella in the HILTON HOTELs beach area. So basically it is a wash. The chairs on the beach were great.
The hotel was terrible. Would never stay again.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lee G, General Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hello Ashley D,

Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are located in the heart of South Beach and it is quite a festive area. In addition, you stayed during a very busy point in the season here. We certainly try to keep the hotel as peaceful and tranquil as possible but the city is often bustling.

I understand your frustration about the $25 resort fee as our pool was unavailable during your time with us. Contintental breakfast and the beach club is also covered therein, however, the pool is often the most enjoyed amenity. It is open and completely refurbished now, I hope you would consider giving us the opportunity to have you back to enjoy it.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Best,

Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in late February and hated this hotel. After we booked our reservation, I called the hotel and asked if we could have a quiet room since I am a light sleeper. We were aware that the hotel was undergoing construction (from all the reviews here) so I specifically asked to have us be put in a room far away from the construction.

When we arrived at the hotel, it was obvious that the hotel was more like a 3-star hotel. The lobby, hallways, elevator, etc. were all dirty and out-of-date. To our surprise, our room was more modern. Unfortunately, we could see major water damage on the ceiling and there was no curtain on our window so in the morning it was super bright. Also, we woke up to drilling, hammering, yelling, etc. It was AWFUL!! We had asked for a quiet room and was placed in a room right under all the construction.

After making several complaints, they bumped us up to a penthouse suite. We could still hear some of the construction noise but it was better. However, the suite was dirty. There was a stain on one of the pillowcases, a piece of hair in one of the cups in the bathroom, and the room just smelled funny. Also, it looked like the balcony hadn't been washed in ages.

My expectations are never super high for hotels but I do expect at least a clean room with clean linens and a clean bathroom. So I think it's worth paying more for a nicer hotel. It's a major shame too since the location of this hotel is good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Eunice M,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for your stay. During the month of February there was an enhancement project happening here, you're correct, however, it should not have disrupted your stay the way that it did... and regardless of anything going on in any hotel, your room should be clean, always, without exception.

Our pool is now open and that phase of the refubishment is complete. February 2015 promises to boast quite an improved and already impressive Bentley. Should your travels bring you back to the area, I'd love the opportunity to make this up. Please feel free to reach out any time. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com.

Warm Regards,,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Be aware they charge an additional 25$ per person per day when you arrive at the hotel. They said it was to pay for the pool and beach club yet there pool was closed for renos and the beach club was 5 blocks away. Not a terrible hotel but overpriced in my opinion, I liked that we had a full kitchen in our room but was surprised at how noisy it was, the halls echoed with the cleaners talking at 7am every morning and woke us up, not an issue if your an early riser but when you have been out late on south beach all night it is very annoying, also our blinds in our room were too short so keeping the sun light out was impossible. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful when we had no hot water in our room, they offered to move us but it started working again. It does have an excellent location on south beach but its not a hotel I would tell my friends to stay at.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I appreciate your candor and I'm glad to see that in spite of some concerning issues, you did enjoy your stay. I would like to mention that our resort fee is $25 per day. It is not per person, though. Please let me know if you were charged this way and I will fix it for you.
Our pool is now open, however, I do apologize that it wasn't available during your stay.

I will look into the issues that you detailed here and I appreciate you taking the time to bring them to light.

We'd love to have you back!

All The Best,
Parrish, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed in a room/apartment that was rented by the current owner, so we did not rent directly from the Bentley. The hotel is a little south of the main action but it's a nice spot, right on the corner of 5th and Ocean. Unfortunately, the check-in was a bit disjointed since the folks at the desk tried to give us "key cards" to a room they were not responsible for - the owner provides their own access codes to the room. Had the contact for the rental company been there when we arrived, the confusion may have been avoided.
Our room was lovely - fully appointed with a living room and a kitchen. We had wi-fi and access to the hotel's amenities. Sadly, the pool/spa were under renovation so we had to use the pool next door and that pool had no spa - just what we were looking for after a full day of walking around SOBE. There was a breakfast bar with danish, cereal, fruit, yogurt, waffles and juice every morning and the late afternoon/evening concierge was fabulous (I think his name was Lorien - shame on us for not jotting it down). Overall, the hotel was nice - I'm sure it will be much nicer when the renovations are complete - and we would probably stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 5th St. side and we were told we could not open the windows due to the fact that...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lee G, Guest Relations Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hello Patti P,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly appreciate you taking the time to submit this review.
I apologize for the minor hiccup at check in but I'm glad it smoothed out quickly.
I'm happy to see that you would be inclined to return to Bentley on your return to Miami Beach. Our pool is now open and we are working hard to complete the remainder of the enhancements here.

Many Thanks,

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I had a great time at this hotel. it was close to everything great central location. Front desk was pleasant held our bags for us while we went out and about because it wasnt time to check in yet. the manager upgraded us to the 2 bedroom penthouse suite which was goregous. we took advanage of the free beach charis and umbrella that is offered thru the beach club. breakfast was decent. waffles, bagels, muffins, cereal, fruit cups, and juices... might have been some other things but that is all i can remember. Also has kitchen which is nice. I would def stay here again and recommend this hotel to everyone

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lee G, General Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello MangoSkin,

Thank you for the excellent review!
I'm glad to hear that you had a great time and that we were able to get you into a very nice room. We're already looking forward to having you back! Pleae feel free to reach out to me for your next reservation at lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com.

Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is our 2nd stay at the Bentley on 5th and Ocean Drive. We stayed here in 2009 and were blown away by the service and character of this boutique hotel. The location is fantastic, but we returned despite the high prices (we booked on Expedia for over $200/night, but I now realize you can now rent rooms directly from owners for less in a much nicer suite I feel ripped off).

Our room is tiny (320), and does not even have a place to sit other than one little chair and night table. There is NO safe (I asked, and only some rooms have them--really??!!). The bathroom is half decent with nice Kohler fixtures, but that's it. Beds are a nice firmness.

There is a $25/night plus tax resort fee, but the pool is still under construction (yes you can use the one next door, but it doesn't look nice). We utilized the beach club at the Hilton Bentley once--nice service, but quite a walk down. Also there is continental breakfast (cereal, pastries, apples, granola bars, and a waffle machine was empty when we tried to use it). There is wifi included, too. It is not hard to find this hotel (right above TGIFridays and the Bellini restaurant, where you will be hounded constantly by the Bellini staff to have a meal there--I never eat at a place where I am hounded)

We are a young, professional couple who travel extensively (at least 3x/year) for pleasure, and we are willing to spend money, but we expect a good experience for our money. I feel our experience fell short, and based on the replies from the hotel management and the declining reviews, it looks like they still don't get it. On our next stay on South Beach (we came all the way from Vancouver, BC Canada btw--we obviously love Miami), we will be exploring other options. Management--don't even bother giving us the standard reply here--you had your chance to "wow" us, and it was barely mediocre. Perhaps it was harder for us to stomach since we stayed here previously and it was definitely worth talking about. I echo the reviews below in that this is no longer the place to stay on SoBe.

Extra tips: you can take the Miami Flyer Bus 150 to/from the airport (stops nearby on Washington & 5th) for only $2.60/person (there are luggage racks). The SoBe local bus is only 25cents and loops around Miami Beach up to Lincoln Road and back down. You have to try cuban coffee and food--recommend Los Olas Cafe on 6th. Hiro Sushi Express is great also, and they deliver. My Cervice is another good place to try (you can order online and pickup--it is a hole-in-the-wall. Hope my review was helpful!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lee G, General Manager at Bentley Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your review.

Your request for a non-generic answer is noted and I assure you, you will not get one. I try very hard to touch on, explain, apologize for, and give recognition where it is due in our reviews here. I've read, and re-read your review. Other than a couple of easily fixable mentions, I'm having trouble extrapolating, based on the facts the you have provided, what made your last stay so poor and what makes you certain that based on this last experieince that your next stay (if you would allow me to invite you back) would be just as bad...

I would like to fix this. We are clearly undergoing an enhancement project at Bentley. This project will enhance the stay of all of our future guests. I would like for you to enjoy that experience in the future as well.

I'm available to you any time. lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Many Thanks,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

So I read the reviews and picked this place because the reviews sounded good. I am not sure if the hotel just went way down hill... Or if it was always poor. The location is great. Other than that we were just disappointed. The bell boy had no idea where our room was and dragged us with our luggage around the hotel searching for it. The rooms are adversitied as suites but they are not big. The hotel is run down. The service has been poor. We are here for two more days.... So hopefully our experience will improve

• Stayed April 2014
Sarakwan,

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, it takes a couple of days for reviews to post on Trip Advisor. I would have liked the chance to meet you before check out. Of course I hope things did improve based on your initial experience.
We are undergoing an enhancement project and some areas are more affected than others aesthetically. I apologize if this had a negative impact on your impression of our appearance.

I am available to you if you would like to discuss your experience further. I am interested to know how the remainder of your stay went. Please feel free to contact me directly at lgreenspan@meninhospitality.com

Been to Bentley Hotel South Beach? Share your experiences!